What's new

Knock-Offs like EAD & Classic Match

Of late I've really gotten into "knock-offs" like those done by Classic Match (mostly Polos) and EAD. Both are cheaper options ($1 for EAD and around $8 for Classic Matches) and honestly most are really good and last. What I like about Classic Match is the bottles look basically like the actual bottles you find from the originals. Does anyone else use these?

I don't think they are referred to as "Knock-Offs" but the scents in the Cuba Paris line are often compared to other designer fragrances. Perhaps the correct term is "clone" and yes, I use them.

When I first got into scents I thought some of the Classic Match scents were pretty good, and bought a few.
As my nose got better after buying proper scents, my thoughts changed to "What was I thinking?".

I gave them all away.

I think that pretty much any heavily discounted designer scent found in bargain bins or sellout sales, smells better than a Classic Match scent.
Regards,
Renato

When I first got into scents I thought some of the Classic Match scents were pretty good, and bought a few.
As my nose got better after buying proper scents, my thoughts changed to "What was I thinking?".

I gave them all away.

I think that pretty much any heavily discounted designer scent found in bargain bins or sellout sales, smells better than a Classic Match scent.
Regards,
Renato

I think that depends on the type of Classic Match. Red Classic Match, (Blue) Classic Match, Classic Match OUD and Classic Match (Noir) are all good to great smelling on me. Yet Obsession smells HORRIBLE. It's nearly wet dog level when it comes to how foul it smells. I recently checked out the OUD and Drakkar Noir versions and I really like them.

I think that depends on the type of Classic Match. Red Classic Match, (Blue) Classic Match, Classic Match OUD and Classic Match (Noir) are all good to great smelling on me. Yet Obsession smells HORRIBLE. It's nearly wet dog level when it comes to how foul it smells. I recently checked out the OUD and Drakkar Noir versions and I really like them.
Hi Michael,
I have stopped checking the Classic Match ones out in recent times. I remember liking their Drakkar Noir version as interesting, though it wasn't close enough to the original, and it had a strange note that was common in nearly all their scents at the time - which really put me off.

I am unsure how Obsession For Men can in any way smell like a wet dog - but we all have our unique perceptions.

Where I live, all the Ed Hardy scents for example, have been very heavily discounted - down to A$20 in some cases. Nearly all of them can be viewed as having some strong similarity to other well known scents (though they are not clones). I think all the male ones are great, and my wife thinks all the female ones are fabulous too. Despite the gawdy tatto design bottles, I'd pick them any day over Classic Match.
Regards,
Renato

Hi Michael,
I have stopped checking the Classic Match ones out in recent times. I remember liking their Drakkar Noir version as interesting, though it wasn't close enough to the original, and it had a strange note that was common in nearly all their scents at the time - which really put me off.

I am unsure how Obsession For Men can in any way smell like a wet dog - but we all have our unique perceptions.

Where I live, all the Ed Hardy scents for example, have been very heavily discounted - down to A$20 in some cases. Nearly all of them can be viewed as having some strong similarity to other well known scents (though they are not clones). I think all the male ones are great, and my wife thinks all the female ones are fabulous too. Despite the gawdy tatto design bottles, I'd pick them any day over Classic Match.
Regards,
Renato

Thanks Renato

It is different strokes. I've tried the Polos (Classic Match "impressions") and besides Green, they do smell good. Green smelt like wet grass and was so bad I had to wash it off. Obsession smelt horrible on me which could just be my body chemistry as oppose to someone else's. That I think is the thing. We see price points that depending on your income will favor you getting an impression like say a Classic Match or those holiday gift sets over say buying the original. For example, while Clavin Klein's Obsession vs Classic Match may have a slight different smell similar to those who can tell Coke vs. say Sam's Cola I can't so if the price is too high, I'll buy cheaper to save. For soda it's pennies on the dollar but cologne it can be pricy. Walmart had Obsession for $25.00 and I could get the Classic Match for $7.88... Well if I am budget concious (and I am which led me down this rabbit hole) I'll buy the $7.88 if it works and lasts. I've been satisfied with Classic Match and EAD impressions/versions. That don't mean that you don't have or anyone else has to. There's enough scents out there to try and see if they work for you. I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has used and/or actually like these. I do think some are particuarly good at being "travel" scents that are within 3oz and if you lose it, it's maybe $2 to $10 for losing it vs a whole lot more.

As for Ed Hardy, the tattoo heavy art is a bit off for me but I do think the smell is good. Would I pay $20 for it, perhaps. I would have to cycle out my collection fast as I have quite the EDT fetish now. I'll try more Michael Jordans too, they are about $10 or so for most brands actually. The lower cost is very tempting for me. I laugh at the savings I made on Classic Match and EAD scents because to me, they are so insane (well going by Amazon pricing which can be hit or miss.)

Michael

I've tried the Dollar Tree's clones of several scents and ended up tossing them or giving them away. They literally smelled cheap and there was something off about them. I do like the clones sold at Walmart. I think they go for about $8. I have the clones for Aqua DiGio and Davidoff Cool Water and they both smell very nice and very close to the originals. They go on well and mature well, they don't have any off notes. (at least on my skin or to my nose)

I've tried the Dollar Tree's clones of several scents and ended up tossing them or giving them away. They literally smelled cheap and there was something off about them. I do like the clones sold at Walmart. I think they go for about $8. I have the clones for Aqua DiGio and Davidoff Cool Water and they both smell very nice and very close to the originals. They go on well and mature well, they don't have any off notes. (at least on my skin or to my nose)

I notice some of the EAD from the Dollar Tree fade off quicker. Prime Gold for example is heavy at first but fades VERY fast from my experience so if I need to shower before something at night, it maybe my go to in that scent as I know it will only last a little but for the day, it won't be the one. That said, I tried a $3 Davidoff Cool Water in a plastic atomizer at a Walmart and it honestly didn't smell great (I couldn't even really smell it) nor last that long. Maybe I need to try the Classic Match style one instead...

I tried a $3 Davidoff Cool Water in a plastic atomizer at a Walmart and it honestly didn't smell great (I couldn't even really smell it) nor last that long.Maybe I need to try the Classic Match style one instead...

It sounds like you tried something different than what I have. The $8 clones I have from Walmart both come in glass bottles. The Aqua DiGio clone is labeled "G Eau" and the Cool Water clone is labeled "Blue Depths". Both fragrances were made in the USA by Belcam Inc.

Edit: I just checked the Walmart web site and see that the Classic Match scents appear to be made by Belcam as well. Neither the G Eau or the Blue Depths came with the Classic Match labeling.

Last edited:
It sounds like you tried something different than what I have. The $8 clones I have from Walmart both come in glass bottles. The Aqua DiGio clone is labeled "G Eau" and the Cool Water clone is labeled "Blue Depths". Both fragrances were made in the USA by Belcam Inc.

Edit: I just checked the Walmart web site and see that the Classic Match scents appear to be made by Belcam as well. Neither the G Eau or the Blue Depths came with the Classic Match labeling.

I imagine I might have tried a different one than you, mainly due to the pricing of it. It's a bit of a rabbit hole to check out the clones and impressions, there are a bunch. Some look fairly similar bottle wise, others have an entire different look and only the scent and have various lengths of the scent.

I picked up a Classic Match version of L'Homme last year. Not quite the same, but it smells good. Projection isn't great, but seems to last on the skin for a good amount of time. It was worth the 8 bucks, but I agree, I'd rather go to the discount store of the day and spend the $20 or so to get a better quality frag. Most of their scents are clones of fragrances that can be picked up for $30 or less online (Cool Water, ADG, Ed Hardy, Drakkar, Obsession, etc.).

I picked up a Classic Match version of L'Homme last year. Not quite the same, but it smells good. Projection isn't great, but seems to last on the skin for a good amount of time. It was worth the 8 bucks, but I agree, I'd rather go to the discount store of the day and spend the $20 or so to get a better quality frag. Most of their scents are clones of fragrances that can be picked up for $30 or less online (Cool Water, ADG, Ed Hardy, Drakkar, Obsession, etc.).

Ed Hardy isn't really a expensive scent at all unless you get the head, Curve is pretty much the same in that aspect too. I think the Classic Matches last better than the dollar store ones. Maybe one can get the clones and use them daily while your real one is for special occasions. Depending on size 1.7 v 3.5 can be off. Amazon for instance had Michael Jordan nearly cheaper for the 3.5 and I think it really is now. You just gotta shop and know prices.

Of late I've really gotten into "knock-offs" like those done by Classic Match (mostly Polos) and EAD. Both are cheaper options ($1 for EAD and around $8 for Classic Matches) and honestly most are really good and last. What I like about Classic Match is the bottles look basically like the actual bottles you find from the originals. Does anyone else use these?

The EAD version of Gucci Envy (called "Enthral") is totally worth the $1, even if just for fun to wear around on the weekend. I just find it interesting that they bothered to do a knock-off of a discontinued frag. Maybe Midnight in Paris is next! :)

I have a few of the Belcams.

Primitive Man: I've never tried Sauvage, but I like PM just fine. It's fairly long-lasting and for $7.88 I can't complain. The scent is unique compared to the rest of the colognes I have. I'll be getting a backup bottle at some point soon.

Obsession: I've never tried the CK. Belcam's is a sort of simplistic candy-like scent that makes me think of something that would be marketed to pre-teen girls. Mostly sandalwood and cinnamon candy, like Mike-and-Ikes or something. With a little vanilla somewhere. But I like it. Nothing foul or wet dog to my nose. My 5-year-old son likes it and has used it a few times, which I think is cute. Fairly long-lasting on my skin.

G Eau: I'm not huge on oceanic / aquatic scents and I inadvertently ordered this. I have T&H 1805 which I really like and would be plenty of aqua for me. However I'm not returning the G Eau. I still find it pretty nice for $7.88 and I'll probably use it as a travel scent. I've also used it a few times as a bathroom deodorizer. It works well for that, too. Seems not to last especially long on me but I haven't used it enough to say for sure.

Mike

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I admit to having a few Belcams. Their Classic Match of Polo green is close; I have the real one as a benchmark.

Pretty much they are testers for a blind buy of something expensive ... like Spice Bomb; I've learned I'm probably not investing in a real bottle of that.

A "fake" came in handy this morning: wife burned some popcorn; hopefully whatever fake I sprayed into the a/c will take care of the burned smell .... they work as car deodorizers, too.

AA

I now have two of these; as my wallet has not graduated to buying "real" fragrances.

Classic Match Clone of Polo Black
Primitive Man which is mentioned above.

I really like both of them actually. They both seem to last a long time for me, and for the price I can have a few fragrances, instead of only one higher priced.

I had G'eau in the past, and it seemed to wear off after about ten minutes on me. So, I will not be buying that one again.

For now I'm really pleased with them.

I work right by a Walmart, so I stopped by to see which Belcam scents they had in stock. I was hoping to see their take on Paco Rabanne's Invictus (Gladiator), but they didn't have it. So picked up Primitive Man and Classic Match Polo.

I'm floored by the strength and longevity of both scents, and by how good they smell. I sprayed Primitive Man on a post-it note and let one of the frag heads here at work smell it. Right away he guessed Sauvage. When I told him what it was, he was pretty impressed too.

Top Bottom