What's new

Another new Razor from Above the Tie.

Our new razor the Bamboo SE1 is now available for preorder. Just go to our site abovethetie.com and place your order.
We will post info here as to shipping status. Thank you all in advance. I believe you will enjoy it as much as I have this week.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, sooner than I had thought, but for once I'm on it (hopefully) in a timely fashion - so now the waiting begins ... looking forward to it

Our new razor the Bamboo SE1 is now available for preorder. Just go to our site abovethetie.com and place your order.
We will post info here as to shipping status. Thank you all in advance. I believe you will enjoy it as much as I have this week.

Would it be possible to get this as just the head to go with one of the other fine ATT handles I already own?

I’m happy to to able to say that I received an email from Stan letting me know that I’ve been selected to be an early tester of the new ATT SE. Stan let me know that the razor is on it’s way, and I will be expecting it soon.

I’ve been a wet shaver for over 35 years, and have a lot of experience with many types of DE and SE razors. I’ve done product testing for a number of shaving equipment manufacturers, and posted reviews on a number of well known shaving sites. My reviews of the Muhle R41 2011 and the new generation of synthetic shaving brushes received a widespread following.

I’m honored to be selected for this early round of testing, and am looking forward to it with great anticipation. I started formal testing of razors six years ago when I tested razors for B&B’s Ultimate Shave Off, Part II. I’m planing the same evaluation protocols for this test. More on these tests in my next posts.

Last edited:
I’m happy to to able to say that I received an email from Stan letting me know that I’ve been selected to be an early tester of the new ATT SE. Stan let me know that the razor is on it’s way, and I will be expecting it soon.

I’ve been a wet shaver for over 35 years, and have a lot of experience with many types of DE and SE razors. I’ve done product testing for a number of shaving equipment manufacturers, and posted reviews on a number of well known shaving sites. My reviews of the Muhle R41 2011 and the new generation of synthetic shaving brushes received a widespread following.

I’m honored to be selected for this early round of testing, and am looking forward to it with great anticipation. I started formal testing of razors six years ago when I tested razors for B&B’s Ultimate Shave Off, Part II. I’m planing the same evaluation protocols for this test. More on these tests in my next posts.
Good job. I would be willing to test also.

I've never tried a SE razor before and I'm really interested in this one. I apologize if I missed it but what is the blade gap for this razor? Or does it really matter. I have a Kronos S1 which I like but I wish it had a tad bit more blade gap. I also have an H1 and that is way too much blade gap for me. How does the blade gap compare to those 2? Thanks in advance!

Looks good. I'm not really a fan of "bamboo" styled handles (in general), but as I haven't used one yet I can't really object to them--they seem like they could either be really comfortable or really uncomfortable to hold, depending on the size of your hands.

I'll probably get one later, either just the head or with an Atlas handle (if it's available like that). Probably after I'm re-employed. ;)

Stan, can you tell me how your SE will compare to the Mongoose, as far as the size of it's head and it's aggressiveness. I like your design as shown and I also look forward to your new SE Slant. Your S1 is one of my favorite razors! Also I would be available for testing either of your SE's.

I received the test model in today's mail. Family obligations don"t allow for a proper test, so I'm really looking forward to Shave #1. I'll be able to give a proper examination then.

I received the test model in today's mail. Family obligations don"t allow for a proper test, so I'm really looking forward to Shave #1. I'll be able to give a proper examination then.
I received a note from Stan indicating that I received the wrong head, and to discontinue testing while a new one is shipped to me.

I received my test razor during the weekend/. I admit I’m spoiled by ATT’s past products, and I’ve come to expect great design and flawless execution. This did not disappoint. The razor is beautifully machined to exacting tolerance--reported to be less than a fraction of the width of a human hair.

Shave #1--I used a Feather Artist Club blade. I am generally not a fan of Feather blades and have had spotty success with them, but at the time of the initial test, it was the only SE blade I had in my den.

I performed a light one-pass shave because I was mindful of past negative experiences with the blade. I achieved a very smooth DFS. The shave was notable due to the total lack of irritation. It appears that I need to become more familiar with the balance of the razor, which needs attention when I shave under my chin. I found the shave to be one of the most comfortable I have ever experienced.

Shave #2--I used the same setup: Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, Muhle synthetic XL brus and Tabac aftershave. This time I shaved for closeness, using a two-pass approach with light touch up. I can relate that I received a fine BBS shave all over. What continues to surprise and delight me is the total lack of any irritation at all. This strikes me as one of the smoothest razors i have EVER used. I am still getting used to the balance of the razor, but feel I am making progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom