What's new

Man made thuringian?

Has anyone ever seen this before? It even has a slurry/cleaning stone to go with it. If nothing else it seems pretty cool.

$$_1.JPG$$_3 (1).JPG$$_3.JPG$$_3 (2).JPG

Did a Google translate on the cover and it's definitely reformed thuri. Says yellow-green specifically. Of course that's all dependnt on the label being right.

Anything is possible - but it doesn't look like any reformed thuri I've seen before. Looks like a Coti.

I'll be curious to see when it gets here. I don't trust Google translate 100% but it seems to say "use with water. Do not use with grease" and "made with German materials" which is what leaves me to believe it's a reformed thuri but I'll wait and see. That cleaning stone that comes with it is a cool touch.

The label says:

solid quality razor hone
with 2 different surfaces
This stone is for prefinish and finish, the slurrystone is meant for both sides and too be used plenty.
Only hard knives should be prefinished 1 - 2 minutes. For finish use the yellow green side about 2 minutes.
Only use pure water! keep away oil and grease!
Trademark Apex : Nr.82 Superfine 140*50mm. Pure German Product.
Nr. 84 Superfine 200*50mm.Best raw materials, no substitute.

I think this stone is just an old synthie, the pure german product, best raw materials, no substitute refers too other stones maybe.

btw. how does it work?

Greets Sebastian.

Thanks! Makes sense.

Not sure yet it's on it's way here. It was a BIN with best offer so I offered him about what I would pay for a swaty and he accepted. Can't wait to see how it works.

Yeah, nothing there about being reconstituted natural stone, just a mention of the yellow-green color of the one side of the stone.

Yeah, nothing there about being reconstituted natural stone, just a mention of the yellow-green color of the one side of the stone.

Yeah now that i see the actual translation it makes sense. When I did Google translate the "pure German raw materials" I took as using rock dust similar to a JGES reformed coti I have.

Yeah that's an artificial thuri, I think partially made from sawdust of cutting thuris - same like the JGES stones. You can read ...use the yellow-green side.... which means the finer greenish looking side, and I think that clearly is an indication that Apex used their saw dust of cutting thuris too to creat artificial stones, as the natural material was not longer available in good quality. Also the performance is just like the JGES artificial thuris.

I have the same stone:

$IMG_9733.jpg$IMG_9734.jpg

It smells like hell, I have stored it for more than a year in my garage than a long time under water, than outside - the smell doesn't dissapear. Don't know what the have used as binder...

Yeah that's an artificial thuri, I think partially made from sawdust of cutting thuris - same like the JGES stones. You can read ...use the yellow-green side.... which means the finer greenish looking side, and I think that clearly is an indication that Apex used their saw dust of cutting thuris too to creat artificial stones, as the natural material was not longer available in good quality. Also the performance is just like the JGES artificial thuris.

I have the same stone:

View attachment 651287View attachment 651288

It smells like hell, I have stored it for more than a year in my garage than a long time under water, than outside - the smell doesn't dissapear. Don't know what the have used as binder...

Does it have the Same smell like the JGES stones Peter? Those smell awfully synthethic, my only comparison is like a really bad stinking sealing substance...

One would think that, if it was made of Thuringian stone, it would say so. What would the point of not saying so be? Given the long successful history of Thuris, Eschers, etc - wouldn't it make sense to capitalize on that?

Stinking sealing substance..... lol... nice description, I totally get it.

Does it have the Same smell like the JGES stones Peter? Those smell awfully synthethic, my only comparison is like a really bad stinking sealing substance...

No compromise - the JGES smell like perfume of roses compared to that Apex....

One would think that, if it was made of Thuringian stone, it would say so. What would the point of not saying so be? Given the long successful history of Thuris, Eschers, etc - wouldn't it make sense to capitalize on that?

Stinking sealing substance..... lol... nice description, I totally get it.

Yes i know the description was kind of off ;-) it just stinks....if someone ever lapped one of those he will know....

Is the slurry stone a natural? Sure looks like a fossil-capture coti from post no. 1 to me. So I agree with Gamma that this may be a synth coti. What's the blue side intended for? Currently, MST has a yellow-green synth Thuri-dust stone, and from the color balance, it doesn't look like this one.

Just picked up a smaller razor hone (ballpark 6x2") stamped with a few things.

"Das Beste was es ????" I assume gibt... same logo
"Qualitat Superfein"
"Zum Nachziehen

But it's "APEX ?U?ER"

APEX RUBER, I think.

Looks like a single side. Possibly a natural thuri (seller said it's natural), but the few chips I see hint at a synthetic.

International purchase so wont be here for awhile. Anyone seen one before?

Attachments

• $111.jpg
    $111.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom