What's new

What forms of Organized Shooting Competion do You do?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What's your favorite flavor of organized shooting competition? What have you tried in the past? Although I don't currently compete, I have dabbled in IPSC/USPSA/IDPA, PPC, indoor plate matches, three gun, F-class High Power Rifle and small bore. What disciplines have you tried or currently engage in?

I have shot IDPA styled events for 15 years. About 4 years ago I got more and more hesitant to take my pistol 20 minutes away to shoot because I had to cross the border into the "peoples republic of new york". I talked to my local club and started my own IDPA style matches there. Not sure I am going to be able to run them this year however, due to time constraints and lack of place to hold them. The club decided to add a second trap range and took the spot I was using.

I'm been shooting USPSA for 20 years, and Long Range F Class for a while. Dabbled in 3 Gun but found it took too much time on the reloader, cleaning, and equipment.

Grew up on trap, got into bowling pins for a bit. Last 15 years have been Cowboy Action, but that is not what it used to be. Too crowded, too much standing around, too many rule/class changes. Son wants us to go 3-gun, got the gear, just need to get to a match or two.

I feel like so many of the events are too crowded now a days. USPSA is by far my favorite (my phone always autocorrects this as USPSC whatever that is) but the wait times can be frustratingly long so I just set up courses in my back yard instead. A few friends, a timer and beer 3 feet from the firing line for when we are done.

Cowboy action turned into a whole day event with little "action" and plenty of cowboy. 3 gun is always good and i feel like that is my weakness right now. Need to get out there and work on it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I feel like so many of the events are too crowded now a days. USPSA is by far my favorite (my phone always autocorrects this as USPSC whatever that is) but the wait times can be frustratingly long so I just set up courses in my back yard instead. A few friends, a timer and beer 3 feet from the firing line for when we are done.

I also started with the USPSA / IPSC as a young lad in the early 80's. In 1996, I was in the Collegiate Officer Program working on my criminal justice undergrad, when I heard about the newly founded International Defensive Pistol Association, founded by the kind of men that made a young gun enthusiast like myself, immediately jump up and take notice.

Wilson, Hackathorn, Vickers, were all names of gun gurus I grew up idolizing. As a LE bound college student, I became disenchanted that ISPC, seemed to be evolving into a rich man's sport where in order to compete, you had to have a heavily modified and very expensive race gun. The IDPA was exactly what I was looking for.

I dabbled some and competed regionally in Ok and Ark their first year. Made out pretty well and earned enough points to compete in their first Nationals. I quickly realized, I was a very small fish in a huge pond in the world of competitive shooting, finishing in the bottom third. :)

I started my LE career not long after and began raising a family. I never seemed to have the time, money or inclination after that. Anyhoo, Like you rock, I stay pretty satisfied with the training I give & receive in/with/from the LE community, now that I'm on the downhill slope of old age. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Rob, I'm of a similar mindset as you. I got away from the competitive pistol scene as it became less and less "practical" and more about race guns and fast clock times. The actions it would take for you to win or even become competitive would get you killed on the street.

NRA 2700 bullseye (22, cf, 45), trained on the Olympic development team for a few years (air pistol/ free pistol). I enjoyed NRA pistol silhouette for a while, but always kerp coming back to traditional bullseye shooting.

I used to shoot highpower service rifle and indoor .22 3 position. I've been thinking of trying out 3 gun and maybe getting back into highpower.

Ipsc would be fun, but I'm competitive and If it's still like it used to be you need a ton of money in a pistol to be in the top ranks. can't justify that much money for it.

Ipsc would be fun, but I'm competitive and If it's still like it used to be you need a ton of money in a pistol to be in the top ranks. can't justify that much money for it.

Sometimes it is more fun to run against fancy race guns with your daily CCW scoring just as well in nearly the same time. That to me is more fun, then again I shoot in my back yard all the time and it can get boring. I would rather pay for a weekend of combat pistol classes if I didn't have my back yard range. More fun, more practical, less waiting around for your turn to shoot, etc.
USPSA is the only sport I would invest in a race gun as the competition is so fierce. It is, to me, the most fun as well.

Edit: has anyone had the change to train with Simunition? For the longest time it has been LE only but some civilians are getting to train with it and I'm dying to try!!! What are your thoughts on it from a fun competition standpoint?

Last edited:
Save the weekends for family! Find a friend with land. IDPA targets are easy to set up yourself. I use both the competition size cardboard and 2/3 IDPA AR 500 steel and rotate what I do. It's more fun with friends and a timer than a mob of 50 people, some are press checking and holstering/unholstering behind you, not cool.

$20160430_193913.jpg

$20160320_142821.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've done a limited amount of training with Simunitions and it's fun, but it was not a competition, it was an LE training exercise.
Good Force on Force training can be done with Airsoft guns and is very valuable for learning real world tactics that can save your life, particularly if the training is done by someone who really knows their business, such as Karl Rein of KRT. In many ways, FoF training with Airsoft guns is much more flexible and certainly more available than using Simunitions.

http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/Classes/at_two.html

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've done a limited amount of training with Simunitions and it's fun, but it was not a competition, it was an LE training exercise.
Good Force on Force training can be done with Airsoft guns and is very valuable for learning real world tactics that can save your life, particularly if the training is done by someone who really knows their business, such as Karl Rein of KRT. In many ways, FoF training with Airsoft guns is much more flexible and certainly more available than using Simunitions.

http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/Classes/at_two.html

Less messier and hurts less too. :) Was doing some room clearing training once. One of the young officers in the stack behind me, button hooked, instead of criss crossing when we made entry. I caught 3 sim rounds in the left arse cheek. Screamed like a girl... ;)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Less messier and hurts less too. :) Was doing some room clearing training once. One of the young officers in the stack behind me, button hooked, instead of criss crossing when we made entry. I caught 3 sim rounds in the left arse cheek. Screamed like a girl... ;)
Butt that's the fun part! LOL! Yeah, they can sting a bit with close contact for sure! Friendly fire's a ***** aint it? But it does reinforce the learning experience!

Top Bottom