What's new

Hard to reach spot

Now that I got bitten with the straight razor bug, I have a question.

I have a depression on the side of my throat, it is hard to reach and shave properly. What do I need to do?

Some of those hollow spots can be puffed out by closing your mouth and pressuring up. It seems hard to do at first, and might leave you gasping, but it becomes second nature if you do it every time you shave. It takes more pressure than just puffing out your cheeks, for instance. Combine it with pointing your chin up.

Some feel a smiling razor or at least one with a rounded toe can be a great design aspect of a razor to deal with 'the hollows'. Also growth direction can make or break shaving this area because it's so prone to bumping and redness.

One more question. Better to ask here rather than create a million new threads. After the shave the skin is really nice and clear. But a day after I get these small pimply heads. What am I doing wrong or what should I do to prevent?

I think your skin will adapt to the change in shaving stresses you are giving it. There seem to be a multitude of factors that work together to result in great shaves and skin condition with patience and practice. I think this is one of them. I doubt that you are causing it by doing anything wrong. I tend to let things heal on their own; it's just my style. I suspect others will chime in with appropriate balms and such.

I have (I think we ALL have) that same issue. My issue is complicated a bit by having a goatee that I wish to retain and that I shave with only my right hand. I have recently found a resolution that seems to have brought consistent results. AFTER you have made your regular passes, apply a little lather to those trouble spots and do the following. Start by just lifting your chin a little to expose your neck, with the hand that you shave with, use your index finger to stroke down from the ear toward your Adams apple (use the length of your finger as if it were a blade). Your goal is to find the proper orientation a blade must follow to hit THAT hollow area ATG. pay attention to the direction the remaining hairs are growing and orient your finger so you can see the approach the blade must take to clear THAT spot ATG. NOW, using your finger as if it were a blade, rub away the lather in an ATG path over THAT troublesome spot. Once you have done this, you can see more clearly while looking in the mirror the path that the blade must take over that patch of skin. You can then bend and stretch however you like to see if you happen to be able to maneuver that spot to an easier to reach spot OR you can see if you are able to successfully (and safely) drive a blade in that orientation on your neck.

For me, I used to try like the dickens to tip my head sideways and shave horizontally and it worked 85 percent of the time. I did that little routine about a week ago and found the best angle of attack and I no longer have to do ANY horizontal movement, my new angle of attack also replaces my old downward stroke.

My approach (left side rt hand) is to lift my chin slightly and turn to the right, exposing my left neck as completely as possible while also lifting enough to expose under my chin somewhat. I position the blade such that the heel is about one blade length away (closer to my mouth) from the corner of my jaw, the toe angled down toward the shoulder (sort of a 45degree bias, heel leading). I make a sort of downward and sideways stroke from the corner of my jaw toward center line. The stroke itself isn't down or sideways, its more on an angle because that's what the trouble spot wants. I have found I can make this stroke longer and add slicing motions to catch other parts of my neck but as long as I am about 45 degrees heel leading over the trouble spot I nail that spot every time. The same with my right side.

I think the key though it to make a lather trail identifying the proper path and play with possible ways to approach that spot.

Try turning the razor around and shaving (lightly and at a real real close angle) with the heel? This, combined with stretching usually gets those spots for me.

This sounds strange but try it ... I used to find it super hard to shave my jawline/chin due to me having a large face ...now all i do is tilt my head forward slightly
And make some rolls around my neck thenn i stretch the skin works well ..it feels strange but try that

One thing I will strongly recommend is to not try to get at the area with the toe of the razor. It is tempting and can sometimes work but I have found it makes for being much more prone to cuts, even with rounded toes. YMMV.

Top Bottom