What's new

My epic whiskers adventure! aka. How long until SWMBO lays down the law

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Will SWMBO allow me to grow a full beard? Will I be able to get by daily, just shaving my neck?

It's probably been 15 years since I sported a trimmed beard and I get to grow a van Dyke for about 2 months every year until SWMBO dost layeth the smack down.

proxy.php

2.5 days in, the cheeks are only 1.5 days as I changed my mind about a van Dyke on day-2 :tongue_sm

Last edited by a moderator:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Best of luck with the wife, Sam. I only ever dated girls/women who liked beards, so never had a problem.

Hang in there ! I have sercum again ! Only the Stache , but the whiskers were coving my bottom lip and got in my mouth while eating ... , and I trimmed the middle to the bottom of my top lip . This is pretty challenging is all I can say . Computer being in the shop could be part of the reason (iMac) . It's fixed and ready , I just have to get it back . Two hours one way , but my brother is going to pick it up later today (I paid already) after his Drs app't (or something) . And I keep loosing the trusty moustache comb , but I bought several .

I've a beard before , once you get through the phases it's clear sailing . If I was able I'd grow one again . Had to shave it for a job , then radiation therapy finished that , but I can still grow a goatee (a beard on one side would be out of the question) . Best hopes for Success !

Last edited:
My standard party line of growing a beard:

Come on guys. Isn't it enough that they make you pick up your socks off the floor? That they don't let you rebuild the carbuerator on the coffee table, nor find the subtle nuances of fine cinema such as Terminator, Mad Max, 300, or even Dumb and Dumber acceptable as entertainment fare.

So, what can you do? Talking back will get you in trouble for sure. Logic is likewise useless...Forget reasoning...

So, one day you find you haven't shaved for four days, that's happened before....Then it stretches to 5-6....a full week without a shave...She may start to be suspicious, but just assumes you are being a lazy good for nothing, as per usual.

Then one day in week two will come the question "What's the deal with your whiskers? Are you growing a beard or something?"

Thats the first gut check.

You may have enough testosterone to grow a beard, but do you have enough to tell your wife that is exactly what you intend to do?

Well, do ya?

Then comes the twin pronged forks of Hades: for a while you will be in no man's land: you are scruffy, but not really bearded yet. You look like a bum. And it itches.....You long for the feel of crisp steel gliding across your cheeks leaving behind BBS goodness....At the same time your wife will be reminding you of how old it makes you look, "You not really growing a beard, are you?", assertions that you are probably having some sort of mid life crisis......

My reply: "It's just a beard"

Just a beard, true enough. Yet for all your manliness in your life so far have you ever actually gone and grown a beard? Are you going to spend your limited days on this spinning globe circling the sun and never have a go at growing a beard?

Really, if its something you want to try, go right ahead. It takes a remarkable amount of will power to actually do it.

“You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion.”
G K Chesterton

And about SWMBO: the funny thing is, there really isn't any justification on their side why you or I shouldn't actually grow a beard. Deep down we know we should pick up our socks, work on the carburetor out in the garage etc....But growing a beard is truly personal, and nobody else's decision but your own. She may bark about it for awhile, but eventually, if you tough it out, a new serenity pervades. A new feeling emerges...Not only are you now bearded, but you have mounted the palisades and fired a shot back in the name of Mankind. In the age of Dr. Phil et al and "getting in touch with your feminine side", you have slowly, quietly, day by day built a sign in neon upon your visage that undoubtedly proclaims "I am a Man, dammit!" The way it has been proclaimed since time immemorial.

Have fun on your beard adventure! From the looks of the progress so far you should be there in a week. :thumbup1:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Rghtly or wrongly (it's close), we'll call this 1 week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, good luck on the duration. My suggestion for you if she lays down the law too soon, is to do it for "No Shave November" and she may be more lenient since it's for a good cause. That's how I did it for my first time this past November, and it turned out that my wife actually digs the beard. Thus I'm still sporting it today.

Come on guys. Isn't it enough that they make you pick up your socks off the floor? That they don't let you rebuild the carbuerator on the coffee table, nor find the subtle nuances of fine cinema such as Terminator, Mad Max, 300, or even Dumb and Dumber acceptable as entertainment fare.

So, what can you do? Talking back will get you in trouble for sure. Logic is likewise useless...Forget reasoning...

So, one day you find you haven't shaved for four days, that's happened before....Then it stretches to 5-6....a full week without a shave...She may start to be suspicious, but just assumes you are being a lazy good for nothing, as per usual.

Then one day in week two will come the question "What's the deal with your whiskers? Are you growing a beard or something?"

Thats the first gut check.

You may have enough testosterone to grow a beard, but do you have enough to tell your wife that is exactly what you intend to do?

Well, do ya?

Then comes the twin pronged forks of Hades: for a while you will be in no man's land: you are scruffy, but not really bearded yet. You look like a bum. And it itches.....You long for the feel of crisp steel gliding across your cheeks leaving behind BBS goodness....At the same time your wife will be reminding you of how old it makes you look, "You not really growing a beard, are you?", assertions that you are probably having some sort of mid life crisis......

My reply: "It's just a beard"

Just a beard, true enough. Yet for all your manliness in your life so far have you ever actually gone and grown a beard? Are you going to spend your limited days on this spinning globe circling the sun and never have a go at growing a beard?

Really, if its something you want to try, go right ahead. It takes a remarkable amount of will power to actually do it.

“You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion.”
G K Chesterton

Probably the best post I have read in a while!

Good luck on the beard, I found out that I could never make it past the itchy phase around 2 weeks in that lasts 7-10 days, I can't sleep on a pillow at that point. I'll be following closely!

Top Bottom