What's new

My new kanayama 70000

Fair enough. Just in case though I had to clarify. I wouldn't want some poor sap sitting in his tub three times a day needlessly beating the hell out of his strop.

Congratulations, you can't go wrong with that setup. One note of advice strop lightly with the canvas and, imo, only use it when you need to bump up the edge. Not for everyday use in my experience.

~Royce

Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of having a canvas and a suede strop is.

Congratulations, you can't go wrong with that setup. One note of advice strop lightly with the canvas and, imo, only use it when you need to bump up the edge. Not for everyday use in my experience.

~Royce

Does there have to be a purpose? :)

I use two different canvas strops - one my kanoyama, one a super cheap chinese strop, because both are good in different ways. In certain respects the cheap chinese one is my most used strop, in fact.

I wish my Kanoyama had suede too!

Stated differently, when should I use the canvas strop or the suede strop? Is there a situation where going from canvas to suede to smooth leather is better than going from suede to smooth leather? What about going from canvas to smooth or only canvas no smooth, or only suede no smooth?

Does there have to be a purpose? :)

I use two different canvas strops - one my kanoyama, one a super cheap chinese strop, because both are good in different ways. In certain respects the cheap chinese one is my most used strop, in fact.

I wish my Kanoyama had suede too!

I tried to edit the above and time expired, therefore I'll leave you with this:
In my experience the K linen (canvas) is too abrasive for everyday stropping on a well honed edge. I use it for an edge that is starting to show signs of degradation and also coming off a stone for a touch up or bevel re-set. Suede/leather before and after a shave, works for me. There are all kinds of stropping progressions and lap counts. Figure out what progression and lap count gives you the best shave. It's supposed to be fun, what's that old saying, it's not meant to be rocket surgery [emoji868]

~Royce

I tried the washing machine option and when I was washing it the third time the little leather piece at the end came right off. Should I buy some textile glue or try to srw them together myself? Not sure how big needles I have though.

I tried the washing machine option and when I was washing it the third time the little leather piece at the end came right off. Should I buy some textile glue or try to srw them together myself? Not sure how big needles I have though.

Mine came off within seconds of it hitting the water. I've yet to put it back on. Not really needed. It's mostly aesthetic. If it bugs you just go to the craft store and get some adhesive for cloth. Rough up both sides first. I don't find myself using the canvas. I use the suede and smooth leather

Mine came off as well on my 8K strop, I used some fabric glue and just glued it back on but as stated it's really not needed.

Mine started to come off and I just pressed it back on. Apparently it's a water soluble glue, but it re-tacked fine for me.

Top Bottom