What's new

Razor Modding - Shop Setup

A little background. I've had 8 GD66's sitting in a cigar box waiting to be modified to remove the shoulders. I planned to work on my honing and after a bit, look to create a 7 day set of GD66's for myself with worked spines. I've finally summoned the necessary motivation to do this, but I was curious what the razor working guru's here use to modify their razors. Looking through the various stickies, there seems to be a lack of tips as to tools and means of holding down the razor and working on it.

Can you guys help out and offer up some tips/photos of your setups to get me started?

Right now I've got:
Everything I need to de/re-pin.
Everything I need to polish (but I do remember seeing a cool magnet holder for polishing that could be something I can put together easily)
I've got a dremel and was going to bulk buy sanding drums for it for taking away the shoulders. What I'm more interested in are the tips used to work the spine?
Do you guys just use tabletop vises to hold the razors or is there something more ideal I could use?

I plan on figuring out scales later. I've got a fair amount of woodworking tools back home, but I don't feel like dealing with that just yet.

Thanks for the help guys.

Safety goggles

bunch of different sized dremel grinding bits. You will burn through them quickly.

SAFETY GOGGLES!

Safety goggles

bunch of different sized dremel grinding bits. You will burn through them quickly.

SAFETY GOGGLES!

Don't worry [MENTION=6128]Seraphim[/MENTION], got my SAFETY GOGGLES!, apron, and gloves (may not use the gloves depending).

A simple, small bench grinder will make quick work of grinding heels/shoulders (and lots of other stuff). You can mount a small unit on a 2x12 scrap, or the like, and clamp it to a benchtop if you are short on space. The coarse wheels wont heat up the blade too fast, and you can dip in a cup of water if needed. It's far better to use the "big guns" when bulk material needs to be removed. Then you can go back to the honing/polishing mindset.

A 1x30 belt sander is insanely useful with all areas of razor restoration and modding. You can get them on Craigslist or harbor freight for about $50!

I frequently use a 1in belt sander and a 4in belt sander for removing shoulders, leveling and the like. I use a Dremel for most of the removal. Recently started spine work too and use the Dremel for that. Just keep a cup of ice water handy. The sanders are great for tip reshaping. I just made a Spanish point GD with a thumb notch and worked down the shoulders. Scales out of cocobolo. Turned out to be my best shaving razor! Used it ever day this week.

For or clamping I actually use my drill press vise and sit at my kitchen table. And a couple towels. Allows me to get down and see the angles that I'm grinding in

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I dont like magnets around my razors. If you magnetize a razor whether intentionally or accidentally, it naturally attracts steel dust and filings, which rust much quicker than the razor's own steel, but can spread rust to the razor. Shame, because a good magnetic holder is pretty handy.

I use a belt sander a lot. A regular woodworking belt sander, handheld, like what you might refinish a hardwood floor with. I prefer the B&D Dragster type or a knockoff, because the small front roller is a very handy radius for working with razors. Dremel is very useful. Get a bunch of split mandrels. You fold up a small piece of sandpaper and stick it in the slot and you have a very effective sanding device. The sanding drums and arbor are the dremel tip that I use the most. I also go through a lot of cloth and felt polishing wheels.

Drill press is very useful. Even one of the tabletop kind that Harbor Freight sells. You can with a little Redneck Engineering, use it for a drum sander or brush handle lathe. A scroll saw is great for cutting out scales. Much easier than a scroll saw and the cuts are straight up vertical.

Top Bottom