What's new

Gillette Fat Boy so over priced. WHY?

I'd love to have one primarily because I've come to prefer heavier razors. Really interested in seeing if its smaller head would perform better than my Mergress XL. (The Mergress stretches of my Personna Med Prep blades (12+ sessions) twice as long as my Sledgehammer (6 sessions))

It's those Hipsters. They all got to have a FB even if they don't actually shave with it.

Actually, just look at it. It is a very nice looking razor. Very macho. This is on top of actually being a very good adjustable DE razor that has proven ability to outlive its owner. I actually prefer my adjustable Aristocrat which only cost me about $10 more than a user FB, but the FB is one that I like and would be satisfied with.

+1, It's iconic. That's why people pay for it. I think it's a great razor. At least 3 times what my EJ DE89 is. By that logic, it should cost ~$60. Also, it carries a lot of buzz online. Everyone wants one, not everyone will wait to find it (or can, some guys live in markets saturated by guys going out and buying every fatboy they see. If that happens, you can't find them affordably and have to compete for them online)

The nerd inside of me wants to get one of these shirts.
I feel a group buy coming on...

1. History
2. History
3. History

Its all about the feeling, the time period it was made, and rock-solid as your old grandfather or the 1959 mod
Buick Invicta convertible you never got...
It will live forever, because it will never be forgotten as long it can be used :001_smile

The market drives everything. When I moved from Boston to sw Ohio I could not believe that I could walk up to the box office on a Sunday afternoon & buy Reds' tix in the upper deck directly behind home plate for $15 the first ticket, $7.50 each for the rest of the group. At Fenway that ticket would have been $150-$200. If the Reds sold out by Christmas each year as the Sox used to do then the price of those seats wouldn't have been $7.50. That's why, perversely, I am thrilled they have been picked to finish last this year.

With regard to the fatboy, I have never used one. I've had a slim since 1989, and would love to have a fatboy, but I wouldn't spend over $25 for one. Sooner or later I'll find one in exceptional condition for $25 or less. I'm patient.

Ha, the Ever Ready Streamline sets used to be had for 25 bucks on eBay regularly. Then a thread was started here and it went quickly to 50, 80, 100, 120.
Once it got there I stopped looking.

Not really over-priced, just expensive. Scarcity, fan appreciation, etc. I used my first one for twenty years, and when I finally went back to DE shaving a couple of years ago, I gulped, and I paid the man. It is the best I've used. And it does mark a high point in American engineering.

... a middle of road TTO razor.
There is nothing "Middle of the Road" about the Fatboy to me. It is hands down, the best vintage Gillette razor I own, and there aren't too many out there that I haven't tried. And shave-wise, it is my second favorite razor of all. It is far and away better than the Slim and Super Adjustable, despite me wanting to like the Super (since it's my birth year razor).

As others have said, Supply & Demand arte a big part of it. And it has so many fans, that it gets hyped up a lot on the forums, which increases demand. Compared to most other razors out there, it has a reduced supply also, due to the 4 year production window.

When I first joined B&B, these were selling for $20-$25 all day every day. And they were a steal at that price. Now $50-$75 is more common, and in my opinion, they are worth every penny. And if you don't love it, you'll be able to turn it around and get your money back.

If you are patient, and a bit of a treasure hunter, you can get lucky and find one in the wild, at antique stores. All of mine have come from antique store for $3 - $15.

If it's in good condition, I don't think a Fatboy (Gillette 195) is overpriced. They're really well made, they look great. It's hard to deny the appeal.

That said, I find the head is much too bulky - if the razor is dialed up to its more aggressive settings it's even worse. My opinion is that both the Slim and the Super-Adjustable give a better shave. People are catching on, or maybe it's inflation, but a Gillette Slim could be had from eBay for $15 or so, now they're commanding the prices that Fatboys used to go for.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Have you priced any mass produced, middle of the road cars from the 50's that are in great shape recently?

Have you priced any mass produced, middle of the road cars from the 50's that are in great shape recently?
Bingo! My first car was a 1964 Karmann Ghia that I purchased for $100 in 1973 when I was 16. I went to Ireland for a few years and it sat in my father's garage. When I returned I drove it for a couple years and then gave it to my youngest sister in 1982. She drove it for a couple more years, sold it, and with the funds paid for a year of college!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people prefer Coke to Pepsi. We shouldn't forget to factor in personal preference. You think the Fatboy is middle of the road and not worth the money. There are some out there who think it is the best razor they have ever used and worth paying $50 for.

I am not sure why the 7-piece ATT set is $400. What makes it worth more than the Rockwell 6S that is $100, or the Merkur 34c for which I paid around $38 for that matter? I get awesome shaves from my 34c so why should I pay several hundred dollars more for the ATT? If the Zamak parts of my 34c wear out I can buy several replacements before getting close to spending $400. For me the ATT is not worth the money. For others it is worth the money. They are willing to pay for the very high quality materials, better workmanship, and/or other factors that lead to it being set at that price point. We are both absolutely correct. The ATT is not the razor for me, but it is the razor for someone else. That person is not wrong for spending $400 on the ATT. I am not wrong for refusing to spend $400 on the ATT.

YMMV. Live and let live. Go with the razor that works best for you.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

$fn5sao.jpg

I don't think they are overpriced at all. You wouldn't be able to build them with the same quality for the going rate. Its just most other vintage Gillettes are underpriced, making them seem overpriced in comparison.

Top Bottom