What's new

Panama Hat Suggestions

I love an original true Panama , they're a little to a lot Pricy especially for Monticristo's (sp?) , they can range from low end to $5000 or maybe more . Borsalino Milan Straw are Nice , too . Hemp is getting out there this year more , kind of the rage , besides Panama for the average Joe Hat wearer . Peters Bros makes some nice customs , along with others , and a bunch of different styles . Great Summer Hats , they've saved many a Bald Noggin , and many with hair , too . But budget friendly versions in Palm Straw like Sunbody Hats out of Houston are available , and really inexpensive , tough Hats in a pretty wide range of styles , too . Your local Hatter or the internet can Hook you up . The Real Deal are made in Ecuador , (I said this , didn't I ?) Panamas that is . Nice Hat Mike !

Last edited:
Would love to buy an Optimo panama hat (pic below) but will not be traveling to Chicago till August when I plan to be sized and have a winter hat made.

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm a little underwhelmed with Panamahatsdirect.com. I received a real beauty of a hat but I think they sewed the sweatband in too low so that the stitching is not covered by the hat band. Their response to my questions about this was not great. I guess I can return it at my expense but it is a nice hat and I'm tempted to re-sew the sweatband into place myself. I'm procrastinating and a bit angry at spending over $300 CDN and being put in this position.

strop

Now half as wise
Just a picture to show what I'm talking about. Maybe you have some advice for me.
View attachment 660199

Mike, I would be very upset at that as well. Clearly not what you should expect in hat that costs that much. I have one on order,but have not been very happy with the communication to date. The implication on the website is that you are picking the EXACT hat you will get. Of course the old website is down and they are constructing a new one. Some time after ordering I got an email saying they could not find my size/style in stock so were going to block one. Then I got an email, saying they would have to get one to block, but to be patient. Sure reeks of "bait-and-switch" to me, but time will tell.

My previous experience a couple of years ago wasn't great and maybe I should have learned my lesson. I ordered 3 inexpensive Cuenca hats. I planned to use them for yard work, golf, etc, and wasn't going to care if they got sweaty or dirty, and weregoing to almost throw away type hats. I ordered size 59. Only one came labeled 59, but clearly was smaller than that. One was labeled 61, but was more like 60 and the third wasn't even labeled, and is probably closer to 57. To paraphrase, I was told, when I emailed them about the problem, that I could return them at my expense, but what did I expect for such a cheap price? No offer to send another hat or a partial refund, even though I requested it. He would give me a "little discount" on a Montecristi, but at the time I wasn't interested in doing any more business with him. The recnet reports of those being nice hats convinced me to try one, and now time will tell.

I have one from Panama Bob from several years ago that was blocked by Art Fawcett and onther by Gus Batsakes that are both very nice. I also have a Borsolino (on sale) from Delmonico Hatters that I like. My next likely will be from Brent Black.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
And I thought I could dive into these without spending Brent Black money. I guess I will keep saving, because I'd rather spend good money on a good product than good money on shoddy workmanship and customer service.

strop

Now half as wise
Owen, look at Delmonico Hatters. They have a good selection in all price ranges, and I have been very happy with their customer service. I've called to ask questions, and the young lady on the phone was very knowledgeable about the selections and products they had and promptly answered all my questions.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen, look at Delmonico Hatters. They have a good selection in all price ranges, and I have been very happy with their customer service. I've called to ask questions, and the young lady on the phone was very knowledgeable about the selections and products they had and promptly answered all my questions.

Thanks, will do.

strop

Now half as wise
If you have a b&m near you, that is always the way I prefer. There is no substitute for trying one on, both for size and looks. Unfortunately, I have nothing anywhere close to me.

I have a hosting client that is a retired gov employee who is now in Equador.

They went to a small hat factory and got me a life time selection of hand made hats.

This worked well for me but I would strongly advise you to got to a retailer/wholesaler of hats and try on one before you purchase one.

They are NOT inexpensive hats and even the ones that were purchased directly at the factory by a "local" were expensive so you should make sure the one you wish to buy fits.

proxy.php

proxy.php

strop

Now half as wise
I appear to have been luckier than Mike, since I don't have any stitches showing! I had the hat for a couple of wweks and have been wearing it almost daily. I was surprised by the fact it is lined. None of my other Panamas are lined, even my Borsolino. One of the nice things about the Panama is it will breathe, keeping one a bit cooler in the hot humid summer weather. I'm concerned that the lining will limit this. The worst of the summer hasn't hit us yet, and I've not worn it outside for extended periods of time in the hot sun, so we will reserve judgement for now.

Overall, I am happy with the hat, but still very disappointed in the process. It was just at 2 months for delivery, when the first email said it would be 10 to 14 days. The website said you were picking out your actual hat, when clearly that was not the case, and I was even told they had to get one finished and block it. It was then held up in customs for 3 weeks. Maybe not entirely the sellers fault, but they should have known to have a customs agent. Will I but from them again? Probably not, but then again, I won't really need another hat for a while, and there is a Brent Black that is really calling my name.
View attachment 674555

Attachments

• $20160719_152541.jpg
    $20160719_152541.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 96
  • $20160719_130927.jpg
    $20160719_130927.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 102

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was wondering if they breathed. The only straw hat I have owned was a straw Stetson, and it didn't breathe at all. I believe, however, that straw cowboy hats are coated for water repellency.

strop

Now half as wise
I've never worn a cowboy hat, but all the ones I've seen have been very stiff and didn't look like they would breathe at all. The looser the weave they better they breathe. To really get airflow though, you need one with some ventilation holes woven into the pattern.

Would love to buy an Optimo panama hat (pic below) but will not be traveling to Chicago till August when I plan to be sized and have a winter hat made.

proxy.php

I ended up buying a cheap Panama hat from J. Crew to wear to the beach and around town. Didn't want to spend much money since I'm not sure how much I would like wearing the hat. I enjoyed wearing the hat and plan on buying a good quality piece next month at Optimo hats in Chicago. Also plan on buying a nice hat for winter.

I was wearing my Cuenca in the kitchen the day as I was walking out. Three of my line cooks are from Ecudor. One's mother makes hats at a factory. She makes the Montecristis. My cook was surprised my Cuenca came from Ecudor! (Has the flag under the inner band)

I got it from Panama Bob... It's been nice but it is coming apart at the top. Not enough that I don't wear it. I'm just more careful taking it off and putting it on.

My cook offered to get me one when he visits next but told him he didn't need to sinxe they are expensive even there! I said I'd rather get coffee. :)

I heard Panama Bob threw in the Towel , haven't checked , but I heard he got ripped off by a dirty deal by an Ecuadorian Middleman Shyster , took his money and left him high and dry . Need to check , but I know another Hatter it happened to , took , that is . Sad for the people making the hats , and those selling and wearing them . Cuenca is Beautiful , looks like Spain in the mountains , a lot of expats . They need a guy they can trust on the ground there , might help the prices , too .

I was wearing my Cuenca in the kitchen the day as I was walking out. Three of my line cooks are from Ecudor. One's mother makes hats at a factory. She makes the Montecristis. My cook was surprised my Cuenca came from Ecudor! (Has the flag under the inner band)

I got it from Panama Bob... It's been nice but it is coming apart at the top. Not enough that I don't wear it. I'm just more careful taking it off and putting it on.

My cook offered to get me one when he visits next but told him he didn't need to sinxe they are expensive even there! I said I'd rather get coffee. :)

Top Bottom