What's new

What type of BLENDER do you all have?

I love my Vitamix. I do, however, keep an old generic blender I found at a garage sale, and I do so for a reason: the threads on the blade collar of most blenders matches the threads on a standard mason jar, making it great for light-duty tasks like salad dressings. Throw the ingredients in the jar, screw on the blade, blend, then switch to a standard lid. Clean-up is a snap.

Ok - well the Vitamix is the clear winner in the opinions from this thread.

How about a slight change in direction? What blenders do you all recommend that DON'T cost an arm and a leg?
I don't use a blender often enough to justify spending three or four hundred bucks on one.

How about in the sub-$200 category? What's good?

Used Vitamix :w00t:

We had a KA blender with a big heavy glass jar. It was good and they served us well for a couple to a few years. It wasn't until after we did the math on how long they were lasting that we switched to Vitamix. Just watch the glass jar if you tap metals spoons on fhe edge, they tend to chip....go figure.

Ninja makes a good one too, both my folks and in-laws use them.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Ok - well the Vitamix is the clear winner in the opinions from this thread.

How about a slight change in direction? What blenders do you all recommend that DON'T cost an arm and a leg?
I don't use a blender often enough to justify spending three or four hundred bucks on one.

How about in the sub-$200 category? What's good?

Honestly, Vitamix is worth the money IMO. I used to kill a blender per year. Vitamix is the only one that I still use. It could be to make a juice, soup, a sorbet, salad dressing, a sauce on the side, etc. You can pretty much make anything in there. I never used a blender much before but it's so easy in there that I use it more often. The vitamix is not good for everything but it's good chunk of what I cook!

Bumping this thread to say I just bought a new blender. Couldn't justify the $$ for a Vitamix, so I looked at some reviews and found that America's Test Kitchen (whose review i trust greatly) rated the Vitamix as top dog, but also put the Breville Hemisphere Control ($193 Amazon) as a nearly equal 2nd place.

I bought the nearly identical Hemisphere Twist for $129. It's pretty much the same except it doesn't have programmed modes and a LED display. It does have the same 450W motor, it seems like you could blend a diecast car if you wanted to!

50 oz jar (a little over 6 cups -- might hold 7 in a pinch) is good capacity.

It blends really well. I made a couple of batches of hot sauce with it so far. It was able to "pull" in the chopped ingredients with very little liquid and blended them to a very smooth consistency. It has two-level blades to ensure both good motion through out the jar and even chopping/bending of the contents.
Speeds are good from a relatively slow chop, to an astonishingly high-speed smoothie setting. (which is also a "self-clean" mode) The speed ramps up to prevent liquids from jumping to the top of the jar and potentially shooting out the top if you have it partially uncovered -- for when you blend hot liquids for instance. It comes with both a flat top and a citrus juicing top -- a manual juicer that allows you to juice lemons, oranges, etc right into the jar while it's running.

I'll probably be making some frozen daiquiris or margaritas tonight -- I'll report back on the results.

Anyway, I like it -- it seems like a reasonable lower-cost option vs the Vitamix.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/hemisphere-twist.html
proxy.php

I've had the 1500W Ninja for a couple years now with great results. I make a smoothie every morning in the individual serving cup. It takes rolled oats, carrots and whatever else I throw in there and comes out nice and smooth.
I've been very happy with it.

Either I'm misremembering the brand or there just aren't any pictures of it online.

Anyways, I suspect my blender is older than I am and still works well enough that I can't justify buying a new one. Which is sort of frustrating because I suspect I would use it more if cleaning it was simpler.

Brevel Boss - same price range as the vitamix. Newer Vitamix blenders have had issues with the gasket disintegrating and winding up in the food. Read reviews before you buy. The "Boss" gets better reviews on Amazon. I haven't received mine yet, but it should be here soon.

We've a blender that pretty much is only used when my daughter makes a smoothy. Use the food processor all the time, what are people making that requires such beastly machines?
dave

We've a blender that pretty much is only used when my daughter makes a smoothy. Use the food processor all the time, what are people making that requires such beastly machines?
dave
Smoothies for 3-4 people, sometimes 4 days a week for breakfast.

We weren't even using our old blenders for them thet much and they were breaking down every 2y.

Top Bottom