What's new

Razorock Blondie Boar WOAH!

Just arrived in my Italian Barber order. I haven't owned a boar in a while so I picked up the Razorock Blondie Boar Brush. I haven't shaved with it yet but I test lathered and was impressed. As advertised it comes treated to remove any funk and begin the break in process. The tips still need some break in but are softer out of the box than any boar I've tried. The first thing that struck me was the massive size of the brush. It's much larger than I expected. Too big for the one brush stand that I use to dry whichever brush I use. The knot is 26x64mm. The handle is big and comfortable too and despite being molded plastic it doesn't feel cheap. This might be the best bargain in brushes anywhere! It might replace my finest 2 band as my daily driver.

I'm getting the olive wood handle Blondie tomorrow or Monday, depending on the whims of the USPS. I contemplated saving some money and buying the plastic model but I've been on a bad binge and saving money wasn't in the cards.

I forgot to take a photo of the brush but here it is in the den. Center brush hanging at an angle because its too big for the stand.
$image.jpg

Thanks for the review! I've wanted one for a long time but there're barely any reviews on it. Does anyone have any impressions on the hair quality between this and Omega boars in general?

Orlando, did you have to soak it or de-funk it at all? The tips on mine are already split, I might just test later it a few times before using.

energyloop,
At first glance, the bristle quality is better than standard Omega (using an 80005 for comparison), similar to the B&B boar brush I have. But, that one is very broken in and this one is not yet. There are no black hairs in this brush though, unlike the the two Omega knots I own. I'll have to see after a soak and use but dry, this brush feels softer at the tips than both Omega knots and I've had them both for over 2 years! Between the bristles and the nice olive wood handle, I think the RazoRock is worth the ~$4 price premium over the 80005. The plastic handle version is cheaper than the equivalent Omega, I'd buy it but I have poor impulse control and bought the more expensive handle.

Anyways, pictures!

$RR Olive Wood Boar2.jpg

$RR Olive Wood Boar 1.jpg

$Haul.jpg

The synthetic I picked up in trade and I don't know the brand. It's around 22mm and quite floppy compared to the finest badger I have. The synth is nice and soft but I'd say the 2 brushes are apples and oranges. The tall loft if the Blondie boar gives it more splay than I'm used to in a boar but I consider that a benefit. The brush had no funk to it at all and came ready to shave, hairs already splitting. It is not fully broken in however so it will only get better. It has lost half a dozen hairs but I don't anticipate continued shedding. I'll let you know as it breaks in. Holds a ton of lather but so does that little synth!

I just shaved with mine, a little scratchy but a lot less than an Omega is at first. I think I'll just shave with it every other day until it's broken in. I think the synthetic you guys are talking about is a WhippedDog, because that looks like one of his handles.

Orlando, did you have to soak it or de-funk it at all? The tips on mine are already split, I might just test later it a few times before using.

energyloop,
At first glance, the bristle quality is better than standard Omega (using an 80005 for comparison), similar to the B&B boar brush I have. But, that one is very broken in and this one is not yet. There are no black hairs in this brush though, unlike the the two Omega knots I own. I'll have to see after a soak and use but dry, this brush feels softer at the tips than both Omega knots and I've had them both for over 2 years! Between the bristles and the nice olive wood handle, I think the RazoRock is worth the ~$4 price premium over the 80005. The plastic handle version is cheaper than the equivalent Omega, I'd buy it but I have poor impulse control and bought the more expensive handle.

Anyways, pictures!

View attachment 649078

View attachment 649077

View attachment 649076

Nice, thanks for the comparison. I have a couple of several-year-old Omegas, and truth be told I'm not amazed by the hair quality, not taking price into account. Looks like I'll have to add a Blondie to the stable.

In my opinion, the Zenith knots are much nicer than the Omegas. Mine had zero scritch and was broken in in a week.

How comfortable is the olive wood handle? Its a beauty for sure, but I'm just not sure about the ergonomics of it.

I'm also very interested in Razorocks 24mm finest brush. If it's anything like my 2band it should be one amazing brush for the price. 2 band is my preferred knot. So much back bone yet so soft! Anybody tried that particular brush?

In my opinion, the Zenith knots are much nicer than the Omegas. Mine had zero scritch and was broken in in a week.

How comfortable is the olive wood handle? Its a beauty for sure, but I'm just not sure about the ergonomics of it.
I find it pretty comfortable. I hold it differently than handles without the narrow waist without thinking about it, my thumb finds that notch on it's own. It is lighter than a resin handled brush, not sure how it compares to the plastic version because I think that's hollow. I'm not super critical about brushes though, I like most of the ones I have, so maybe you want to hear from someone pickier.

How does this brush compare in size to the Omega Pro 48 or Pro 49? Based on the specs, looks like it should be right in between the two.

How about backbone and splay? Seems like a nice brush.

I have the wood handled version with the same knot. I don't know about the 48 and 49, I don't have them. It has less backbone and softer tips than my small omegas. It blooms out a lot with use, and splays easily. A bit too easily, it could be set a little deeper. How much backbone it has and how much it splays depend on soaking time, I find I need to soak it a lot less than my omegas. In general, it ends up being bigger than it looks unused, and it feels way bigger and way softer than i expected.

When I bought it, I wanted a big stiff boar brush with soft tips. After a couple of weeks of break in I can say it's a big, soft boar brush but it lacks in stiffness. It's still a bit stiffer than badger, though.

Top Bottom