What's new

Tobacquisitions April 2016

A 1930's Bakelite tobacco jar arrived today, it's in amazing condition for it age...
$IMG_6551.jpg

Another SJ joins the stable. I've never seen coral dot(two nonetheless) and silver Js on one pipe. Wonder if this was right when they made the transition in 97.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My missing SmokingPipes.com order mysteriously appeared two days later.

Neerup Classic Sandblasted Pot.

proxy.php

SPC Mississippi River, McClelland Blackwoods Flake, Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs, C&D Bourbon Bleu sample, Captain Earle's Honor Blend & Diamond Head.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I took a little drive to an antique shop today and found a few items that I liked. This is what I ended up coming home with: The top one is an Savinelli Oscar Elite (804 KS) There are a few light nicks in the wood, the stem has some oxidization that will need to be cleaned up, and it looks like there might be a bit of charring on the rim, and the whole thing needs a bit of a spit shine, but it's my first Savinelli. The second pipe down is an Old England (Sasieni) M41. It needs a bit of cleaning and there are some bite marks on the stem (nothing too bad, but noticeable). The third one down is a John Middleton Grecian. I should have taken a minute to look this one up because the name sounded familiar. I now know that it's nothing special. I need to figure out what to use to clean the two small air holes at the mouthpiece of the stem. The last pipe I have no clue what it is. No markings that I can see at least. I thought it was Meerschaum, but now that I can see inside the chamber with better lighting I'm thinking that it might be wood with some sort of painted shell on it. I ended up paying $12 apiece for the pipes. Even if two of the four end up being good smokers, then I'll be satisfied.

$2016-04-30.jpg

Last edited:
I took a little drive to an antique shop today and found a few items that I liked. This is what I ended up coming home with: The top one is an Savinelli Oscar Elite (804 KS) There are a few light nicks in the wood, the stem has some oxidization that will need to be cleaned up, and it looks like there might be a bit of charring on the rim, and the whole thing needs a bit of a spit shine, but it's my first Savinelli. The second pipe down is an Old England (Sasieni) M41. It needs a bit of cleaning and there are some bite marks on the stem (nothing too bad, but noticeable). The third one down is a John Middleton Grecian. I should have taken a minute to look this one up because the name sounded familiar. I now know that it's nothing special. I need to figure out what to use to clean the two small air holes at the mouthpiece of the stem. The last pipe I have no clue what it is. No markings that I can see at least. I thought it was Meerschaum, but now that I can see inside the chamber with better lighting I'm thinking that it might be wood with some sort of painted shell on it. I ended up paying $12 apiece for the pipes. Even if two of the four end up being good smokers, then I'll be satisfied.

View attachment 655440[/QUOTE
Great score!

Today I received a tamper that I ordered off of the bay, I wanted something for those upscale moments when the Czech tamper doesn't match the cuff links!
$image.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

View attachment 655440[/QUOTE
Great score!

That bottom one looks a heck of a lot like the Strambach I dropped a few weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bent-Amber-...=item3aba9f589e:g:SboAAOSwcwhVOepa&rmvSB=true

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That bottom one looks a heck of a lot like the Strambach I dropped a few weeks ago.

You're right! :thumbup: I knew that it looked familiar, which is partly why I bought it. Plus, it looked like Meerschaum. I just looked up the specs. and it's weight and dimensions match perfectly with a Strambach bent billiard.

When I got home yesterday I thought that it might not have been a Meer. because of some lighter colored cake buildup near the bottom of the chamber. It looked like wood, but I guess it's just the way that the cake was scraped or worn away.

You're right! :thumbup: I knew that it looked familiar, which is partly why I bought it. Plus, it looked like Meerschaum. I just looked up the specs. and it's weight and dimensions match perfectly with a Strambach bent billiard.

When I got home yesterday I thought that it might not have been a Meer. because of some lighter colored cake buildup near the bottom of the chamber. It looked like wood, but I guess it's just the way that the cake was scraped or worn away.
You ought to be able to tell for sure when you disassemble it.

Top Bottom