What's new

What scuttle/mug/lather bowl did you use today?

I did an ice water shave today. Filled my scuttle with as much ice as it would hold then cold water & jumped in the shower. Loaded my 24mm TGN finest with what else but Cryogen, worked up a lather in the scuttle then splayed it out & let it sit for a minute. Whipped up the lather again and enjoyed an icy cold blast that was refreshing and invigorating! It was also one of the best lathers I've ever made. The extreme cold thickened up the lather, but not like one that doesn't have enough water. If lather is pudding then this was mousse. Thick and rich but still the right amount of water to keep it slick & cushiony. We have a few more weeks till the warm temps hit so I'll still be doing hot lathers, but as soon as we're flirting with the triple digits I'm going to do ice water shaves exclusively. I also rinsed the razor in cold water and soaked my brush in cold water while showering. You guys with scuttles need to try this sometime. I'm liking it a lot!

I look forward to trying this out. May have to wait a few more weeks. I'm still waking up to temperatures under 50°Friday. Warm enough that I don't need a light jacket when outside though.
I certainly don't miss the 100°F nights in Las Vegas and Reno.
I did an ice water shave today. Filled my scuttle with as much ice as it would hold then cold water & jumped in the shower. Loaded my 24mm TGN finest with what else but Cryogen, worked up a lather in the scuttle then splayed it out & let it sit for a minute. Whipped up the lather again and enjoyed an icy cold blast that was refreshing and invigorating! It was also one of the best lathers I've ever made. The extreme cold thickened up the lather, but not like one that doesn't have enough water. If lather is pudding then this was mousse. Thick and rich but still the right amount of water to keep it slick & cushiony. We have a few more weeks till the warm temps hit so I'll still be doing hot lathers, but as soon as we're flirting with the triple digits I'm going to do ice water shaves exclusively. I also rinsed the razor in cold water and soaked my brush in cold water while showering. You guys with scuttles need to try this sometime. I'm liking it a lot!

Williams Mug Soap in a very old (1960s) heavy ceramic Milwaukee Braves coffee mug. The Braves script logo and the black tomahawk underneath it are long since worn away. I've had it since I was a kid, but its been my Williams mug for at least 25, maybe 30 years.

This is the mug I use to soak my brush while I'm showering. I served there for two months in the '80's.

proxy.php

Use my 4" Ramekin... Works until I can get something better! A friend does pottery, and she's going to make me a Scuttle or a bowl pretty soon!

I have been using my dirty bird 1.5 scuttle for ice water shaving. It has been great! I love the cold blast if I am doing an afternoon shave after yard work or a run.

Osage rub has been my AS of choice. Great combo.

I have been using my dirty bird 1.5 scuttle for ice water shaving. It has been great! I love the cold blast if I am doing an afternoon shave after yard work or a run.

Great combo indeed. I was thinking about this as well or using Bootleggers Green Freeze.

My first time this morning was great. Temps were upper 70s when I went into my shop right after shaving, but my face still felt nice & cool, mainly because of the Cryogen. I'm going to love the ice water shaves this summer. I didn't care for my first cold water shave but the ice water shave was on a whole different level.

Everyday I use the same small stainless steel double walled coffee cup to some my brushes in. It's about the perfect size.
I also used one of my Van Der Hagen apothecary mugs that holds one of my homemade shaving soaps. Picked this one and another like up for a couple dollars each at a second hand store. I'm always on the lookout for more.
$tmp_25726-20160403_082457520985155.jpg$tmp_25726-20160403_082728-1735083538.jpg

Today I used this mug designed to appear as if it were melting. It contains a puck of my citrus scented tallow based shaving soaps.
$tmp_14524-20160404_082453-1669649474.jpg

proxy.php

I use a Shone Pottery Bowl. It's a nice deep blue, lathers up very easily, fits nicely in my hand and looks great sitting on the shelf.

Here's today's bowl and mug. Same stainless steel double walled coffee mug for soaking my brush and a bru SD he'd stainless steel double walled bowl to lather in.
$tmp_3488-20160405_084847-239108670.jpg
$tmp_3488-20160405_084818-237614166.jpg
$tmp_3488-20160405_084724-662487612.jpg

Top Bottom