What's new

Rolls Razor

Ah, then you will never know where you did it for :blushing:
I already honed and stropped the blade with the original hardware (+ my regular hones). Haven't had a chance to shave with it yet.
I figured if i can make them look that good once, i can probably do it again if i want. :biggrin1:

Nice Job..Smooth n Flat..Minted..:thumbup1:

Billy
Thanks. It turned out a lot better than i anticipated/hoped.

Okay, so don't. Seriously, honing and stropping out of the case gives much better results.

You sure got the hone and strop looking nice, though. As nice as I have ever seen.
I think i'll be needing a SlashTool™ for that. :biggrin1: I did hone it on my Nani's + Coti-finish using tape to get the angle and for grip, but stropping was IMO out of the question without some kind of handle.
I also want my first shave with this to be "authentic". I'll try other methods later, but for now i want to see how this performs "as intended".

Since my first dabble on restoring a Rolls was so successful, i'm currently browsing for another (different model, a Viscount maybe?) to fix up. Or maybe more.
Who said i have some kind of RAD (or maybe GAD=Gear Acquisition Disorder?)..? :lol:

does anyone know where I can buy an aftermarket stone and strop that will plug-n-play with a Rolls Razor?

I have two of them here, both with boxes, but only one blade between them.

But sadly, all the stones and strops are cracked and dried out, in all the wrong places.

Oddly enough, one of the razors looks like it was never used. But the honing parts are still busted.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
does anyone know where I can buy an aftermarket stone and strop that will plug-n-play with a Rolls Razor?

I have two of them here, both with boxes, but only one blade between them.

But sadly, all the stones and strops are cracked and dried out, in all the wrong places.

Oddly enough, one of the razors looks like it was never used. But the honing parts are still busted.

nobody makes parts. You can cut leather to fit for the strop. You are out of luck for the stone unless you can maybe slice up something without breaking it. Or make a hone from scratch using an abrasive material and some sort of binder material. Like maybe bondo and diamond powder. Maybe add some plaster of paris or something to give it more friability. Clay, maybe.

Just dropping the whole thing is enough to break the hone. There are a million of them out there with cracked hones. Blades are hard to come by because it has to be an actual Rolls blade, no longer made. Other SE razors, you can simply make a blade out of a straight razor.

As I have stated previously, honing and stropping out of the case is much more effective, anyway. And toss that silly guard while you are at it. Not needed, and in the way.

There is a Lot of Rolls NOS Blades come up on UK EBay if you can get the Seller to post them to the USA..A Small Item like that with Basic Airmail isn't much more than UK Local Postage anyway..Its worth going into UK EBay for a Gander & Keeping Watch..:thumbup1:

Billy

Well, you probably could make a blade for it from a GD (the spine is thick enough to be modified to fit the shaving handle) without the hole in the back for mounting in the stropping/honing handle, but like Scooby said, there are still spare blades on eBay, so why bother? Except maybe for the heck of it, or because you can? :biggrin1:

The strop and hone you'd have to make custom ones to fit the doors (strop pretty easily - hone not so much), but you can still make the blade to shaving condition using regular hones and strop, so unless you really want to, you don't have to.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well, you probably could make a blade for it from a GD (the spine is thick enough to be modified to fit the shaving handle) without the hole in the back for mounting in the stropping/honing handle, but like Scooby said, there are still spare blades on eBay, so why bother? Except maybe for the heck of it, or because you can? :biggrin1:

The strop and hone you'd have to make custom ones to fit the doors (strop pretty easily - hone not so much), but you can still make the blade to shaving condition using regular hones and strop, so unless you really want to, you don't have to.

Actually you are right. The hole is not needed for shaving. A piece of a GD blade thinned down enough for a good bevel angle would fit nicely into the shaving handle.

I have made a couple of blades for other types of SE razors out of GD66 steel. Works great for old Star wedge blade lathercatchers.

nobody makes parts. You can cut leather to fit for the strop. You are out of luck for the stone unless you can maybe slice up something without breaking it. Or make a hone from scratch using an abrasive material and some sort of binder material. Like maybe bondo and diamond powder. Maybe add some plaster of paris or something to give it more friability. Clay, maybe.

Just dropping the whole thing is enough to break the hone. There are a million of them out there with cracked hones. Blades are hard to come by because it has to be an actual Rolls blade, no longer made. Other SE razors, you can simply make a blade out of a straight razor.

As I have stated previously, honing and stropping out of the case is much more effective, anyway. And toss that silly guard while you are at it. Not needed, and in the way.
What sort of leather would work? I have a lot to learn about this whole process...

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What sort of leather would work? I have a lot to learn about this whole process...

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

I would think any vegetable tanned leather that is smooth enough and the correct thickness would work. If you want to get fancy you could specify latigo, cordova, shell, donkeybutt, whatevah. But not the hide of the nauga.

Since my first resto i now have 2 Imperials, 1 Vicount (+ another on the way), and an extra Rolls blade. Did someone say RAD? :w00t:
Really digging the whole concept, and (ofcourse) the shave! At least now i know what to do on my spare time (what spare time?:laugh:), as the two later acquisitions seem to need quite a lot more work to restore..

I should get my leather today. Assuming I manage to get time then I do some restoration work... Then the pictures to post...

Tried my Viscount Rolls this morning it cuts hair but tugs a bit yet so it seems to not yet have a shave quality edge...

Tried my Viscount Rolls this morning it cuts hair but tugs a bit yet so it seems to not yet have a shave quality edge...
A Shave Ready Blade wont Tug..Just make sure the Shaving Angle is Correct though..The Angle on these is like an SR..I Don't use the Guard Bar..:thumbup1:

Billy

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I dont use the guard, either.

Hone the blade just like you hone a straight razor. Then strop it on a regular strop. Leave the in-the-case strop and hone for when you want to impress folks with a very nifty gadget. Search for my "Rollin Wit Da Rolls" thread if you want to make a SlashTool (tm). Properly honed and stropped, these blades shave just as good as any other fine Sheffield blade. And as Scooby said, watch the angle. Shave, don't scrape.

Picked up this cased Imperial No. 2 set today. This is the first cased set I've seen in the wild that was actually in serviceable condition. Taking it for a test drive in the morning. I guess I'm getting seriously geared up for the Shavepocalypse, as this is my 2nd Rolls...Lol!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom