What's new

cvargo's Shaving Journal

So I have heard a lot of good things about starting a journal. Especially when starting Straight Razor shaving. So I decided to actually just start a shaving journal altogether, i've been a member here for awhile not sure why I didn't start this sooner.

I have been wet shaving for almost 2 years. And currently I am only using DE's. I will post in here my daily SOTD sometimes I will even include pictures. Currently I shave Sunday through Friday and Saturday is my day off.

I never strive for BBS but every once in awhile one sneaks up on me! I tend to always get a very nice DFS shave with no irritation. I always do two passes and two passes only! First pass WTG second pass ATG.

I recently won a Gold Dollar straight from dcaddo111 and it should be here this Thursday or Friday. Also alpster is sending me my first strop which will be here in the same time frame. Honestly I think I will reserve Saturday's for my straight shave in the beginning as I am sure that it will take longer than my 20 minute DE shave. As I become more comfortable I am hoping to add in more straight razor shaves.

If you want to follow along with this journey with me , I welcome any advice or feedback, and hopefully I can provide pointers to others as well!

A little about me, currently I am 27, married, and have 1 son, who just turned two! I work for a major bank, managing a process improvement department; we call it User Acceptance Testing. I have been working here for 8 years, they paid for part of my undergrad, and have paid for my whole MBA that I graduate with on 4/30/2016.

I am a sports fan I root for the University of Utah, the Utah Jazz, and Oakland Raiders. I enjoy baseball and hockey as well but don't follow any particular team. I love to golf and do that on the weekends quite regularly weather permitting. Along with collecting shaving gear I am also into nib(thanks B&B), numismatics, and movies. I am also a member of the Knights of Columbus and coach jr. high girls basketball.

Next post will be about today's shave!

Today's shave started with a warm shower.

I have a sample of Stirling Electric Sheep that I got in yesterday that I pressed into the bottom of a bowl. Also new to today's shave is Brut aftershave that I picked up on sale at the local grocery store yesterday.

Razor: Razorock bamboozled rake
Blade: Personna lab blue (3)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep - bloomed
Brush: Stirling Kong - Face lather
Aftershave: Thayer Witch Hazel Lemon
Aftershave2: Brut

I got a very nice DFS shave today. The electric sheep reminds me of Arko and Williams mixed together. The brut was a very nice aftershave that had staying power til about my lunch hour. I am very happy with both purchases but will not buy a full puck of electric sheep. Even though I loved the lather and post shave... I feel that the scent would be too boring for me in the long run. Now if Stirling offers this base with better scents I might buy.

I shaved with Electric Sheep today too! Such a great soap. I also would be very interested in more soaps made with the mutton tallow of which I think they currently only have Electric Sheep and Scotts pine. Looking very much forward to your journey into straights!

Will be following along. Cool PIF to win by Dcaddo111 and Ronnie (alpster) got me going with straights as well by honing 4 razors for me (4!!!).

Take it slow, it is not a race and don't get discouraged or down on yourself. It will take time to get comfortable, so just do partial WTG shaves at first.

Use an acute angle between razor spine and skin. Skin stretching is helpful and reduces chances to cut yourself. Avoid distractions and do not rush when starting. Ask questions. I am learning myself and have picked up tips reading other journals and straight forums. Razor maintenance is one of the areas I have really picked up a lot of things that work well.

Have a good night and great start to your journal.

Pete

Today's shave of the day:

Razor: Grandpa's slim set to 8
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock green (1)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep bloomed
Brush: Semogue owner's club in Cherry bowl lathered in my captains choice
Aftershave1: Thayer's witch hazel lemon
Aftershave2: Clubman original

Today's shave was very nice. I did my standard two pass shave and got a dfs. I usually always have a little stubble right under my jaw bone. Sometimes I fight to get it but usually I don't. I don't like to risk an uncomfortable shave.

Checked my tracking numbers and it looks like some packages might arrive today! Getting excited and nervous!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Oh yeah wanted to ask. So something I have been doing for awhile is after I apply my witch hazel I then clean everything up, and then finish getting ready such as brushing teeth etc. Then right before I put my shirt on is when I apply my true aftershave. I feel this gives my skin the opportunity to soak in all of the WH good properties. I might be crazy but this how I do it.

When I apply Witch Hazel - that is exactly how I do it.

After shaving rinse with warm then cold water and dry face. Then apply WH and let it air dry as I clean brush, strop razor, put stuff away and straighten up - then apply aftershave.

Huge shout out to [MENTION=75043]Dcaddo111[/MENTION] and [MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION]

My straight came in and some vintage Colgate. Now just to become brave enough to try it! The strop will be tomorrow!
proxy.php

Last edited:
Today's shave of the day:

Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock green (2)
Soap: Stirling Green bloomed
Brush: Razorock Pissoft 24mm face lather
Aftershave2: Stirling Green

Today was a fantastic shave. I had a BBS sneak up on me this morning. I love those days when the two pass shave delivers the perfect shave. I'm not willing to do a third pass as my face cannot handle it.

I am expecting the strop to come in the mail today.

Tomorrow being April 1st is a good day for me. My wife and I are dropping our son off at my parents and we are heading down to Vegas for 4 days to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The drive is a little over 6 hours.

Tomorrow I start the B&B Lime cream shave off so I will do one shave in the morning then throw cream #1 in my container. I will post my opinions in here as well as the thread in the cream section.

Hope you all have a good day!

proxy.php

Great shave today! Nice setup as well. I love that Plissoft knot and that barber handle is growing on me - I went with the other 24mm shorter handle.

Have a great trip and happy anniversary!

Today's shave I am in the cream lime challenge. You can find a full review in that thread. I got a dfs today and was very happy.

Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock green (3)
Soap: mystery cream #1
Brush: whipped dog 24mm silvertip set 5 mm deeper lathered in Capt choice bowl
Aftershave2: Stirling coconut lime

proxy.php

Had a horrible shave this morning in Vegas. The cream I'm trying is not providing the protection I prefer. Tomorrow since we have our dinner at Gordon Ramsay steak I'm going to use my trusted Stirling barbershop. My wife loves the scent and I know it will provide a great shave.

For those waiting for a straight shave. I promise I will get to it. But I didn't want to travel with it. I will use it a week from today!

SOTD

Razor: Grandpa's slim set to 7
Blade: permasharp (1)
Soap: mystery cream
Brush: B&B essential boar in Capt choice bowl
Aftershave2: Fine clean vetiver

I had a better shave. Still not a fan of this crea. You can find the full review in the cream thread.

I will say that Sunday's shave in Vegas for our anniversary dinner at Gordon Ramsay Steak went very well. I used Stirling Barbershop everything and had a very nice shave.

Also while in Vegas since I could never get a seat at the poker room I learned how to play Pai Gow, I sat with $100 and walked away with $350 and played for hours that was a very fun game to learn how to play.

SOTD

Razor: Grandpa's slim set to 7
Blade: permasharp (2)
Soap: mystery cream 1
Brush: Stirling Kong in Capt choice bowl
Aftershave2: Clubman Musk

This shave was so-so.

Tomorrow I will be going for it! I am going to grab the straight and at least do one pass! I can't wait til the weekend. I am ready!

Well today was the day! :straight:

Here is what was used:

Razor: Gold Dollar straight from @Dcaddo111 & Grandpa's Gillette Slim set to 7
Blade: PermaSharp (3)
Soap: Soap Commander Drive
Brush: Razorock Pissoft 24mm face lather
Aftershave2: Soap Commander Drive ASB

So first off! BOY it felt great to use a soap that I LOVE instead of that unknown cream! I had such a great lather, I had no choice but to try the straight! Here is how the shave went!

After my shower I lathered up and then grabbed the straight, as told there was no need for a stropping to start so I did not. I always start WTG on the right side of my face, I originally planned to only do my cheeks.

My normal shave is like this:

Right Cheek
Right Neck
Left Cheek
Left Neck
Under Chin portion of Neck
Above Lip
Chin

Well the right cheek went so well I decided to go for the right neck and that went well also! So then I went over to the left cheek, I usually shave right handed but am ambidextrous, so I just put the razor in my left hand and went at it. Left cheek went well so I went for left neck, that went well also. Then I decided to shave the middle part of my neck and that went well also. Then I held the blade to my lip and thought NO WAY! Grabbed grandpa's slim and did my upper lip... oh the irony I cut under my nose lol, I attribute this to being cocky when going back to what I trust, but that's okay, nothing the styptic couldn't take care of.

So then It was time for a second pass which is usually ATG then I'm done. Well I decided the first pass with the straight was good so I decided to go for it, BUT not ATG instead I went XTG. And finished my lip and chin with the slim.

This shave was not the closest. But it was comfortable. I have no irritation and no nicks or cuts from the straight. It isn't quite a DFS but I would call it a SAS. For a first time it sure wasn't bad and I am happy with the results.

Tomorrow I start on the second cream so no straight tomorrow. Saturday I go to my nephew's baptism and I am the godfather so I want to guarantee a closer shave. So I will use the straight again on Sunday before mass.

Have a good day gents!

(just realized my photo is blurry. Crap! Sorry folks)

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom