What's new

If You could bring back 1 SE razor.What would You choose?

If you could pick 1 SE razor to recreate for modern times, which would You choose?

.Stainless? Brass? Plated?...

Open Comb or safety bar?

TTO , 3 Pc. .. or Flip top?

What are the options You covet in a SE razor?

My dream SE razor has an open comb roller guard and has an exposed blade (no top cap). Make mine brass. A brass razor can stir the soul in the way an unlacquered saxophone in talented hands transmits beauty. There's also a tarnish resistant copper alloy nobody much uses for anything but maybe would be great for razors. The masters who craft shaving instruments may wish to investigate this. A razor should have soul, many do not. Stainless steel is great for prison toilets but has limited utility for shaving. That's my heresy and I'm sticking to it!

This Mulcuto has no roller guard but seems to me a nearly ideal SE razor. Someone at this forum has fitted one with a Gem blade and it's all good.

$mulcutob.jpg

Injectors aside, very nice but we will discuss those in another thread. I want to put Vote In for Ever - Ready 1924. So simple in design yet try and find another that can keep up with overall shave quality.

Gem G in stainless or brass. The G is a mild shaver that would appeal to many folks and introduce them to SE shaving.
EverReady Streamline in stainless or brass. The Streamline is the Rolls Royce of EverReady razors.

I'd have to say my TTO L'essor. Wonderful design, functionality, look and shave.
Another would be Campfe Bros' Star. Great looks and shaves great - altough not just as great as the L'essor with a modern blade (haven't tried with a wedge yet).

Well, I consider the C. V. Heljestrand one of the finest razors ever made, and it would be nice to see a new production model. Of course, I don't see honing wedge blades becoming trendy any time soon.

A new production Ever-Ready Streamline would also be way cool, possibly in stainless steel.

A case could certainly be made for bringing back the 1912 - after all it is a classic that was produced for 30 years or so the first time around.

Then there is the Micromatic open comb - the first TTO. A stainless steel version of this would be nice.

--Bob

Of the SE razors I have used, I would say a brass GEM Damaskeene would be my choice. Plated in Rhodium would look very nice.

I have not tried the Streamline/Jewel set, but they would be on my list as a back-up so I could try them.

Of the SE razors I have used, I would say a brass GEM Damaskeene would be my choice. Plated in Rhodium would look very nice.

I have not tried the Streamline/Jewel set, but they would be on my list as a back-up so I could try them.
These were pretty much my exact same thoughts.

+2. With the Streamline is SS.

I'm not sure if it is really an SE with the heart of a DE, or if it is actually a DE in SE clothing. But the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp is a great razor an I would love to have one made of brass or stainless.

Love the CV Heljestrand late model lather catcher and I have two originally made in Stainless Steel so far as I can tell though other than owning the pair I can find nothing on the web about their existence other than my recent posts. I have to presume a very scarce razor model. I also have visually identical CVH razors in chrome and nickel plated brass. Open invitation to members to visit and see for themselves.

How about the CV Heljestrand or Rapide. I'm really into my Wilkinson Pall Mall right now. Was really sad when the CHARCOAL was declared a fraud.
GEM .jpg

How about the CV Heljestrand or Rapide. I'm really into my Wilkinson Pall Mall right now. Was really sad when the CHARCOAL was declared a fraud.
View attachment 786113
I think it was more a design exercise than a fraud. The Charcoal Goods owner seems open to comments, shoot him a message, I did. I really want the least possible distance between the blade and my face so no top cap and low profile sides to secure the blade. He's on the right track, if we beat a path to his door the razor maybe will be born.

I think it was more a design exercise than a fraud. The Charcoal Goods owner seems open to comments, shoot him a message, I did. I really want the least possible distance between the blade and my face so no top cap and low profile sides to secure the blade. He's on the right track, if we beat a path to his door the razor maybe will be born.
proxy.php

Actually he did come up with a prototype or design exercise a lot which was just way off base. It required you to screw the top cap on and was just slightly less massive as the Rocnel type heads. His newer "April Fools Joke" drew much more attention and so hopefully he will move forward on that.
14690999_1145274818913995_2413818636127288736_n.jpg

I am in total agreement that with the Gem blades, it is so wide that a top cap sometimes seem useless. My favorites are the Gem Jr and Kampfe star Lather Catchers and the Rapide - all don't come with top caps.

I like the Rapide and the last model lather catcher CV Heljestrand. Both excellent razors and I wish someone would do a modern version of either one. IMO the vertical swinging gate style blade side clamps and large spring on the CVH is much more rugged than the Rapide sprung blade side clamps but the adjustable blade top clamp on the Rapide razors is a bit more versatile IMO. A razor that incorporated both design features would be great. In American razors the Gem Gate lather catcher and the similar Star design are both good too.

Top Bottom