What's new

The 13 Most Infamous Chef Feuds

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
OMG my fellow Culinarians...'what-up' with this
proxy.php
Feuds...War...the sound of 'banging pots'; thick in the air?
proxy.php

Personally, I don't think it prudent at this time to comment or respond in this regard. :001_rolle

However, I believe their conduct could be viewed as unbecoming of a Chef (i.e., 'none' of them are 'Certified' (USA or Europe..[I'm a retired CEC]), Chef's by the rules & bylaws of the American Culinary Federation [ACF], and/or other Affiliated European Associations).

In my humble opinion, celebrity chefs can certainly 'project' themselves on TV (and need to 'tone-it-down'),and can be are more photogenic than say....real professional chefs "of the toque blanche'. :chef:

Just my
proxy.php

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-13-most-infamous-chef-feuds/ar-BBoSyI4?li=BBnbfcL#page=1

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]"Cooking is the art of adjustment". Chef Jacques Pépin[/FONT]

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
"Reality" TV is ruining America, and Gordon Ramsey is a jerk who enjoys making people feel bad.

IMHO, as much of asshat as he is, Bourdain is on the right side of his feuds.

I'd never heard of the Martha vs Rachel feud, but Martha is right, Rachel seems to have no original recipes in her repertoire. Everything is a copycat, or short-cut to make something similar to another more traditional recipe.

"Reality" TV is ruining America, and Gordon Ramsey is a jerk who enjoys making people feel bad.

+1

"Reality" cooking shows do not teach you much, if anything at all. The alleged "stars" act like spoiled children with inflated egos.

Some of the older shows:
Julia Child
Biba's Italian Kitchen
Laura Caulder
Lida

Were interesting because they taught you something, and explained methods.

+1

"Reality" cooking shows do not teach you much, if anything at all. The alleged "stars" act like spoiled children with inflated egos.

Some of the older shows:
Julia Child
Biba's Italian Kitchen
Laura Caulder
Lida

The only one to do that "recently" was Alton Brown's Good Eats. I learned more from that show than from all other sources combined.

pepin said:
Some of the older shows:
Julia Child
Biba's Italian Kitchen
Laura Caulder
Lida

I would add The Frugal Gourmet to that list. He may have had some controversy in the latter part of his life, but the man knew what he was talking about and could explain it like very few. I think you can find a lot of his episodes on Youtube now.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

We're already pretty much down the chute TeeVee may be the cause, as is cousins marrying, but there's not a whole lot of good alternatives. I did click through the cited "news article", glad to find Michael Symon had been disincluded. But then again, here I sit commenting on it .. so I've sunk to the level, good news is I saved the time watching the Boob Toob

Shrug. No offense to chefs, but reading that list, I'd never heard of half of them, and in any event, the idea of a chef as "celebrity" seems ridiculous.

Might as well have been about 13 "infamous" feuds between tax accountants or diesel mechanics.

Thank you for the information, I will look up his shows.

I believe there's at least one or two seasons on Netflix. It's a little goofy and childish in presentation, but he tries to "pull away the covers" and teach about the molecular processes going on, as well as give practical advice on how to use that information to cook better. I learned from him that oven-baking a roux made it easier to get to the right color.

+1

Some of the older shows:
Julia Child
Biba's Italian Kitchen
Laura Caulder
Lida

Add Justin Wilson and Mrs Sally on PBS!

I would add The Frugal Gourmet to that list. He may have had some controversy in the latter part of his life, but the man knew what he was talking about and could explain it like very few. I think you can find a lot of his episodes on Youtube now.

As a little kid i remember watching Graham Kerr, The Galloping Gourmet, what i came away with was that whatever it was that was putting that blissed out look on his face with his first taste of the dish... i wanted to experience that!
dave

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Owen:
proxy.php
...coming from a great list of establishments, awards, chefs and professional Brigades he's worked in...such a shame it's akin to giving Culinary Arts a bad name. :001_huh:

proxy.php
"I'm Gordon Ramsay, for goodness sake: people know I'm volatile". Chef Gordon Ramsay

Owen:
proxy.php
...coming from a great list of establishments, awards, chefs and professional Brigades he's worked in...such a shame it's akin to giving Culinary Arts a bad name. :001_huh:

proxy.php
"I'm Gordon Ramsay, for goodness sake: people know I'm volatile". Chef Gordon Ramsay

yep. He's undoubtedly talented -- perhaps one of the best chefs of his generation. And from everything I've read, in 'real life' he's actually quite a nice guy, generous and does a lot of stuff for charity. But his TV persona overwhelms his whole reputation, making him seem like a foulmouthed blowhard.

I will admit that I think the photo meme featuring him is hilarious.....
proxy.php

proxy.php

I certainly wouldn't blame Ramsay for his TV persona. If you wish to be successful on television, it is imperative to make yourself stand out and he has obviously found a niche. No-one is required to appear with him- it is entirely up to them. He is loud and can be quite blue but apart from his time in Paris, he also worked under Marco Pierre White who is pretty famous for that sort of thing himself.

Great Chef and successful restauranteur- absolutely.
Poster Boy for the modern disaster which is television- I think so.

Top Bottom