What's new

Felt strop, the ultimate towel?

I've got an old barber's manual that says that only leather should be used on a day-to-day basis, the linen component being reserved for when the edge drops off a bit and starts to tug. That said, the current trend seems to be towards a heavy second component use on a regular basis, followed by leather. After shaving, I appreciate the second component's function as a towel during a brief stropping, to remove any residual soap scum and beard grime on the blade. But I wonder about the second component's aggressive nature, viz-a-viz what the barber's manual stated.

On other threads, I've read how felt is ineffectual, used by itself--i.e., without a sharpening paste. I've used it plain to some extent and noticed that it does tend to grey-over lightly with repeated use, but certainly not as much as the vintage fire hose. All the same, if the felt can be taken as relatively neutral in effect, this has me thinking that it might be the ultimate towel after shaving, so as to remove soap scum and beard grime, if one wants to pursue a leather-only stropping regimen.

Thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated.

Interesting.

I love softer canvas for this (and somewhat heretically, the fabric component of the supercheap strop that came with my ZY430+ is *perfect* for this post-shave action, better even than my Kanoyama's fabric). I bet felt would work great though might take more laps. I usually do 20-25 on the soft canvas.

I have over time backed off the number of laps I do on my flax linen between shaves with 25-30 laps being my current sweet spot. This combined with 60 or so laps on leather results in an incredibly long lasting edge. Far longer than I have patience to thoroughly test.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A Kanayama suede component sounds like it might do something for you. Finer than canvas/linen, coarser than cordovan, great for cleaning the bevel post shave with a few strokes.

Cheers, Steve

Yes, that is sort of what I had in mind, Steve, although the poor-man's version. Perhaps latigo as a precursor to horse hide? With the felt used as a towel?

As soon as I saw "felt strop," I thought about the Kanoyama suede. I have wondered if it does anything but dry the razors. The Kanoyama linen (broken in over bed post rails) sure seems to keep an edge going.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have over time backed off the number of laps I do on my flax linen between shaves with 25-30 laps being my current sweet spot. This combined with 60 or so laps on leather results in an incredibly long lasting edge. Far longer than I have patience to thoroughly test.
I've started to back off of my linen laps after getting my linen component from Torolf. To me it feels a bit more aggressive than my TM linen. After honing I'm at 40 laps on the linen now, and 25 laps between shaves.

I've started to back off of my linen laps after getting my linen component from Torolf. To me it feels a bit more aggressive than my TM linen. After honing I'm at 40 laps on the linen now, and 25 laps between shaves.

I haven't really compared TM linen to my others. It is obviously from a different source so it looks like you have given me a new experiment! :thumbup1:

Just started using the linen from Torolf. Different feel/ sound from TM linen. Not enough shaves yet to accurately compare the two. Need my beard to grow faster...

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Just started using the linen from Torolf. Different feel/ sound from TM linen. Not enough shaves yet to accurately compare the two. Need my beard to grow faster...
Yep, different feel and sound for sure. I'm still testing mine too, but I really like it so far.

Top Bottom