What's new

Lead Scales

Agree. Lead would be impractical for scales. Too heavy and malleable.

Very very unlikely that they are lead, but I would swap them out for something else for aesthetic reasons. That is such a nice looking blade I would put it in a nicer set of scales.

Thank you for this information. I looked up the Washington Monument on Wikipedia and there is a detailed discussion about the aluminum cap.

I'm now convinced. These scales must be aluminum and I would absolutely keep them. Nothing can replace the history associated with what aluminum meant when the razor was new.

This. Aluminium scales would have, at one time, been more fancy than ivory.

From Wikipedia...

"In the mid-1880s, aluminium metal was exceedingly difficult to produce, which made pure aluminium more valuable than gold.[SUP][67][/SUP] So celebrated was the metal that bars of aluminium were exhibited at the Exposition Universelle of 1855.[SUP][68][/SUP]Napoleon III of France is reputed to have held a banquet where the most honored guests were given aluminium utensils, while the others made do with gold.[SUP][69][/SUP][SUP][70][/SUP]Aluminium was selected as the material to use for the 100 ounces (2.8 kg) capstone of the Washington Monument in 1884, a time when one ounce(30 grams) cost the daily wage of a common worker on the project (in 1884 about $1 for 10 hours of labor; today, a construction worker in the US working on such a project might earn $25–$35 per hour and therefore around $300 in an equivalent single 10-hour day).[SUP][71][/SUP] The capstone, which was set in place on 6 December 1884 in an elaborate dedication ceremony, was the largest single piece of aluminium cast at the time.[SUP][71]"[/SUP]

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Aluminum or Magnesium. Take a scraping from the inside. Aluminum shavings will burn but is difficult to get hot enough to ignite and doesnt self sustain readily. Magnesium shavings will ignite with a match easily and burn quite vigorously with an incredibly bright flame. Wear safety goggles or face shield.

See if a magnet sticks/attracts to it. That will let you know quickly if its Aluminum or not.
That would not differentiate between aluminum and lead. Only ferrous metals, with the exception of some rare earth metals, are affected by magnetism.

My opinion is that they are most likely a cast aluminum set of scales. However, just from the pictures, it could be tin as well. In cast form they have a similar lustre and color.

lead is extremely soft as a metal, even at 1/4 inch thick you can still bend it with little effort. the only good lead has ever had is added weight, bullets, and some manufacturing such as soldering. my bet is either pewter or aluminum, the fact that they are super light says its the later.
a fun test i was taught while learning machining and metal working was the spark test, you could tell what metal you had by the color, length, and shape of the spark.

Last edited:
lead is extremely soft as a metal, even at 1/4 inch thick you can still bend it with little effort. the only good lead has ever had is added weight, bullets, and some manufacturing such as soldering. my bet is either pewter or aluminum, the fact that they are super light says its the later.
a fun test i was taught while learning machining and metal working was the spark test, you could tell what metal you had by the color, length, and shape of the spark.
What color spark does mercury make? [emoji6]

Top Bottom