What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

So I don't know if this has been brought up on here but much to my wife's dismay I stopped in to 2 (yes 2) Art of Shaving stores yesterday. While in one the person slipped up and mentioned that Gillette had a new DE razor coming out in the next few weeks. I convinced the clerk to tell me more and they brought out a full color cutout of the new razor. It appears to be a Tech redo from what I could tell. They wouldn't let me snap a pic of it as hard as I tried. They didn't mention price or anything but I thought you guys would find it interesting like I did that they have finally realized that this isn't a fad. I'll see if I can post a pic of a similar razor.

proxy.php

Ok found it. It looked like a fat handle tech.

So I don't know if this has been brought up on here but much to my wife's dismay I stopped in to 2 (yes 2) Art of Shaving stores yesterday. While in one the person slipped up and mentioned that Gillette had a new DE razor coming out in the next few weeks. I convinced the clerk to tell me more and they brought out a full color cutout of the new razor. It appears to be a Tech redo from what I could tell. They wouldn't let me snap a pic of it as hard as I tried. They didn't mention price or anything but I thought you guys would find it interesting like I did that they have finally realized that this isn't a fad. I'll see if I can post a pic of a similar razor.

So? They're were making Techs with plastic handles for India and SE Asia like for ages. Even now.

I would mind see Gillette reissue some of it popular DE razor as limited editions, as long as they are as well made as the original ones.

I'd be surprised if they came back with a metal model...they still flog cheap 'n' nasty 7 o'clock models in some countries still though I think.

I would LOVE to think that Gillette would come back to us with some decent kit but mmmmmmm... I just can't see it. The only thing I can think of that would add credibility to the story is for someone like Magards or Italian Barber to start giving the community a little headsup. Surely they'd be in the loop?

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if they came back with a metal model...they still flog cheap 'n' nasty 7 o'clock models in some countries still though I think.

I would LOVE to think that Gillette would come back to us with some decent kit but mmmmmmm... I just can't see it. The only thing I can think of that would add credibility to the story is for someone like Magards or Italian Barber to start giving the community a little headsup. Surely they'd be in the loop?

I'm telling you with no bs I wouldn't have believed it if the young lady didn't show me. I wish I could have shot a pic.

I believe it. I'm surprised it took this long. They saw a market and bought aos than sold merkurs and other brands. They have deep pockets why pay merkur and others when they can make more margin themselves.

proxy.php

Ok found it. It looked like a fat handle tech.

Assuming that this razor is Gillette re-entry into the DE market it doesn't impress me one bit.

However, because Gillette is so huge all they would have to do is flood the consumer market with this razor ,and some DE blades, to reclaim a market that once was all theirs. After all when was the last time you could buy a DE razor in a grocery store or drugstore??

Assuming that this razor is Gillette re-entry into the DE market it doesn't impress me one bit.

However, because Gillette is so huge all they would have to do is flood the consumer market with this razor ,and some DE blades, to reclaim a market that once was all theirs. After all when was the last time you could buy a DE razor in a grocery store or drugstore??

Well, you can buy VDH DE razors in Walmart and Target.

I'll be interested to see what they've come up with. I don't care where it's made and would be interested in both recreations of past designs and new designs.

:popc:

And made right here in the USA! Tim

I second the motion. There are plenty of knock-offs coming out of Asia. Some are well made and some not. If you really want me to relive the glory, it has to be made in the USA. I'm not being overly nationalistic. Putting the "Gillette" logo on someone's overflow of stock is just not going to impress me.

I'm betting on the Tech being the next Gillette DE razor.

1. It's really mild and easy to use - so even cartridge users would have no problem enjoying them.
2. It's inexpensive, but still shaves well.
3. The Asian market is already using the razor, so the US market is a slam dunk.

I've already found my dream razor, but I'm really interested in seeing how this plays out. :001_smile

Top Bottom