What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

Went to my local AoS today. The gentleman didn't have any idea what I was talking about when I asked about the new razor. The DEs in the case were still the Merkur product line.

Is this going to be a limited release product? Perhaps they will trial it in a few markets before wide release to all of the AoS stores?

Oh, and that Ocean Kelp is a great scent... Just sayin'.

It's some kind of a torture?

Відправлено з мого Meizu M2 через Tapatalk

I can't be sure but I believe that shaving technique was banned in Geneva.:laugh:

Went to my local AoS today. The gentleman didn't have any idea what I was talking about when I asked about the new razor. The DEs in the case were still the Merkur product line.

Is this going to be a limited release product? Perhaps they will trial it in a few markets before wide release to all of the AoS stores?

Oh, and that Ocean Kelp is a great scent... Just sayin'.

It is a great scent. But oddly enough, the worst seller of all their scents by far. My AOS associate told me that, and told me that's why it is the only scent not to have a travel version.

It is a great scent. But oddly enough, the worst seller of all their scents by far. My AOS associate told me that, and told me that's why it is the only scent not to have a travel version.
Well, I helped their sales of that one. I also grabbed some of the Eucalyptus cream. They both smell great.

Well, all in all I'm glad to hear AOS will be stocking something other than cartridges razors, Tech or not. I like AOS and the fact they are bringing the craft to popularity. I have two AOS stores near me - four if you count the local barber who stocks AOS products and also the Grand Central Station store in NYC.

My major gripe with AOS is that they're beautiful stores devoted to traditional shaving -- yet when you walk in you see lines of beautiful creams, pricey brushes and.... a sea of ONLY cartridge razors with expensive handles.

I don't know about their stocking Merkurs- or at least prominently-- every AOS I've been to has a mere 2 or 3 DE razors practically hidden among scores of cartridge handles. Disappointing that their Gillette ownership has to be so blatant.

AOS sandalwood cream got me into DE shaving to start. Now that I have a tub of it, I hope they give me another reason to stop at my AOS down the block.

Disappointing that their Gillette ownership has to be so blatant.
Gillette does not own AoS ... they are both separate companies under the Proctor & Gamble corporate umbrella.
An analogy to this would be Chevrolet and Cadillac are both part of General Motors.

It does make sense that AoS would feature Gillette razors, they can probably get these at cost since both are P&G brands.
Other brands like Merkur(s) would require a hefty mark-up before they can be brought in to an AoS store.

I don't understand why AoS puts such a high price on the DE blades they sell ... I was shocked when I inquired about some GSBs they had, and the Merkur DE blades were just as outrageous. When I told the salesman what I normally pay for blades from e-Vendors, he didn't care in the slightest, just kept trying to feed me some bull about "quality" and "closeness" and "comfortable." I wasn't buying his sales pitch, and of course, I passed on getting any blades.

Last edited:
Gillette does not own AoS ... they are both separate companies under the Proctor & Gamble corporate umbrella.
An analogy to this would be Chevrolet and Cadillac are both part of General Motors.

It does make sense that AoS would feature Gillette razors, they can probably get these at cost since both are P&G brands.
Other brands like Merkur(s) would require a hefty mark-up before they can be brought in to an AoS store.

I don't understand why AoS puts such a high price on the DE blades they sell ... I was shocked when I inquired about some GSBs they had, and the Merkur DE blades were just as outrageous. When I told the salesman what I normally pay for blades from e-Vendors, he didn't care in the slightest, just kept trying to feed me some bull about "quality" and "closeness" and "comfortable." I wasn't buying his sales pitch, and of course, I passed on getting any blades.

I would love for an AOS store to stock a variety of DE brands and related products at reasonable prices. Like I imagine the West Coast Shaving store to be on the opposite coast.

I would love for an AOS store to stock a variety of DE brands and related products at reasonable prices. Like I imagine the West Coast Shaving store to be on the opposite coast.

It would be nice to see some reasonable prices for blades like Astra and the 7 o'clock blades but they are positioned to be a luxury brand so they would just inflate the prices anyway.

It would be nice to see some reasonable prices for blades like Astra and the 7 o'clock blades but they are positioned to be a luxury brand so they would just inflate the prices anyway.

+1 ... most DE blades are over-priced in retail stores, but AoS takes it to an insulting level.

Honestly, I don't know how AoS stays in business ... the wet-shaving market isn't that large to begin with, and with the prices that AoS charges, I don't think they get a lot of repeat customers.

AOS is ridiculously overpriced, it's too bad that their Sandalwood Shaving Cream is my favorite sandalwood scent! It is so expensive I almost never use it. It also makes me angry the way they package their cream to make it appear to have more product in the tub with the tapered sides on the inside of the packaging. even though it is my favorite sandalwood I'm not sure I will purchase it again!

+1 ... most DE blades are over-priced in retail stores, but AoS takes it to an insulting level.

Honestly, I don't know how AoS stays in business ... the wet-shaving market isn't that large to begin with, and with the prices that AoS charges, I don't think they get a lot of repeat customers.

Same way luxury brand companies like Apple and The Sharper Image stay in business, people are willing to pay the price for a luxury brand even when you can get something just as good, or even better, for less. They offer products to the upscale consumer who want something more than your mass market shaving products but aren't savvy enough to get those products at a better price. Mind you, their creams are actually properly priced, or at least not too inflated, for the quality IMO and compare favourably to other creams in that price range. Their soaps are inflated but they lather easily with their badger brushes and provide a superior shave to gels and foams and will last around a year for most men i.e. roughly 220 to 240 shaves so for $50 with the bowl and $30 for refills it's not a bad price to the average consumer who is starting out or who just doesn't want to get to deep into product comparisons.

I see them as a good gateway drug and ambassador to our community so they may be a little pricey but they do us a service at the end of the day. Once their customers start coming here we will set them right! :thumbup1:

But we are smart, and thrifty consumers..... and we are not their target audience. Their target audience will pay for those blades, so they don't care to sell them for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom