What's new

Recommendations for a tool kit

Just what it says. Putting together a toobox for the offspring. I have some extra's that I have picked up along the way, but looking for some recommendations on good all-in-one kit or what you think would be necessary for someone moving off on their own for the first time and needing to do some minor home repairs.

I know I need to still get a good screwdriver set, push drill, and small socket set.

So far I've got
Hammers (16 oz claw hammer, ball peen, tack)
diagonal cutters
wrenches (water pipe and 12" adjustable)
8" slip joint pliers
Utility knife
25' tape measure
Tape (teflon, electrical, duct)
magnetic pickup tool
saws (keyhole, coping and small hacksaw)
LED flashlight

What else?

Needle nose pliers: a small pair and a medium pair
3/8" socket wrench with a handful of both SAE and metric sockets and an extension
A Swanson speed square, or Stanley combination square
A couple of carpenters pencils
A chalk line and bottle of chalk
Can of WD 40
PVC tube cutter

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Vice grips are handy sometimes. The magnetic stud finder is great to have as well, much better than any electric one.

I'd include a multi-meter as well - but maybe that's because I'm a EE . I'm not sure how much use others would actually get out of it. I use it to check voltages and continuity quite frequently.

Several small plastic assortments of screws, nuts, bolts and nails.
Bottle of gorilla glue.
White Silicon caulk.
Wire strippers.
Get them a folding saw handle that takes sawsall reciprocating saw blades.

Forgot a 5 gal bucket with a cloth apron style keeper for the tools.

I'll second the multi-meter. They'll want to know if the copper pipe on their water heater has potential above ground, and so on...

- Electronic / trigger start blowtorch head
- Chisels, at least a couple, 1/4", 1/2", 1" (changing door hardware for example)
- Clamps, a couple of sizes if possible, perhaps 18" bar type, and a set of 3/4" pipe clamps for larger jobs, and some grip clamps
- Files, at least a large bastard file (keep that lawnmower blade sharp all season!)
- Hand saws, perhaps a 12 TPI crosscut as a compromise, and a tenon saw.
- Vise, bench vise if possible, but a portable vise will work too
- Sawhorses
- Drill set, at least a small set of fractional twist drills, toss in a set of index drills if he'll be doing stuff like making DE razor handles :)
- A set of precision screwdrivers with flat, phillips, and torx
- Allen wrenches

Just thought of a couple of other good to haves in house:

- Crescent wrench
- Pipe wrench
- Hack saw
- X-acto knife and utility knife
- Cold chisel, the type with the rubber protection flange is nice if his hammering is not precise :)
- Soldering gun
- Crowbar/prybar, a couple of sizes
- Tin snips
- A variety of sandpaper, it's not just for wood
- A flexible neck work light
- Center punch, make sure the drill drills where you want
- Safety stuff, goggles and dustmask

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
No drill press or band saw yet . .

Screwdriver with a set of bits
Monkey wrench . . adjustable spanner what every you call it.
Linesman's pliers
Needle nose pliers
Vice grips
Light hammer (10 oz?)
Cordless drill and index (drill bits)
Jig saw

The rest will come as needed and if they find the need to use them.

I'm not sure if you wanted to stay with just hand tools or not, but if not a rotary tool (Dremel), with an assortment of bits would be a nice addition. I use mine with some regularity, and when I do it's usually the only thing that would have gotten the job done. The generic rotary tools can be had for not much money. I'd recommend a variable speed one. Get some safety goggles to go with it.

Black & Decker Workmate. Got mine as a wedding gift (????), and have used it faithfully over twenty eight years. Getting it to fit in the OP's tool kit is another matter...

I was going to suggest just a basic cordless drill for drilling and screws (sometimes hand screwdrivers are a pain), but then I saw your push drill comment. I didn't know what it was so I looked it up and found the Garret Wade push drill and it looks awesome!

I think your list so far looks great. Others have had some good suggestions too but the lists are getting rather lengthy in my opinion. Part of the experience of life is collecting all of these tools over 50 years. Your picks are a great start and I think your kids will be extremely lucky to receive what you've already picked to get them going. I think they will learn more if they acquire many of the other things people suggested on their own, as they need them.

I don't have a ton of tools myself; just what I've gotten as I needed. Some things I've gotten and used once and hope to use again (coaxial cable stripper/terminator; vinyl siding breaker-aparter tool; etc.). But the best gifts I've ever received are ones I've used forever. My aunt and uncle got me a nice set of screwdrivers close to 30 years ago and I STILL use them regularly. I have a kit with nail clippers and stuff like that from over 20 years ago I still use weekly. You're doing them a great service with this and they'll be better off for it I'm sure, but I think you picked enough of the right stuff already.

If I HAD to add anything to the list it would be a couple different size locking pliers/Vise Grips, a file or two, a couple grits of sandpaper, and a good toolbox and/or a nice heavy duty canvas tool bag...maybe a tool belt.

Good luck I hope they love it!

Your starter list just needs a couple screwdrivers, or s driver set that contains the basic tips. Remenber torx and Allen srews are becoming more popular than the straight and phillips heads. Also a good quality tool bag . Don't get to much stuff that woun't fit in one kit. Other wise tools tend to get misplaced. Another tip don't buy cheap off brand tools. No sense in having a tool that breaks the first time you go to use it. Quality lasts

You haven't said how old the offspring is ... we are assuming that you are talking about a boy, but not necessarily.

Include a couple of assorted pairs of gloves so they can get a good grip on things. Rubber / Cotton / Leather / etc. for different types of tasks.

A small Shop-vac will come in handy, along with paper-towels, hand-cleaner, etc. So they learn to clean up after the job is done.

Also, a copy of this book might be useful.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Way-Thing...459087336&sr=1-1&keywords=the+way+things+work

Finally, if they are old enough and you think its appropriate, a Swiss Army Knife and/or Leatherman device (actually, Gerber Multi-tools are better quality) so they can keep a tool-kit with them all the time. If nothing else, at least they can carry it in the saddle-bag of their bike. And be sure to get them the best quality pocket-tool you can find, so they can show it to their own grand-children and say "See This Knife? My dad gave this to me when I was your age, and I've been carrying it ever since."

Last edited:
Top Bottom