What's new

Agua Brava vs. Pino Silvestre

Thinking about trying one of these. From what I read they are very similar. Anyone use both? What are the differences? Are they really that similar? Opinions?

Thanks all.

I am a big fan of Pino Silvestre too, but I advice not to blind buy this one, as it is not an "easy" scent. It is very green and not sweet at all. Imagine a Proraso cream, but instead of eucalyptus and mint, use heavy pine and citruses. Definitely a winter cologne. It has that "medicinal", "insecticide" smell, that I suppose was common back then, but is unusual nowadays in colognes.
I've never tried Aqua Brava, but I've tried Acqua di Selva, which is close to Pino, but a bit lighter on pine, and heavier in citruses.

I am a big fan of Pino Silvestre too, but I advice not to blind buy this one, as it is not an "easy" scent. It is very green and not sweet at all. Imagine a Proraso cream, but instead of eucalyptus and mint, use heavy pine and citruses. Definitely a winter cologne. It has that "medicinal", "insecticide" smell, that I suppose was common back then, but is unusual nowadays in colognes.
I've never tried Aqua Brava, but I've tried Acqua di Selva, which is close to Pino, but a bit lighter on pine, and heavier in citruses.
Yes,I was looking at a small bottle to try. It's pretty affordable. Thanks for the tip on Acqua di Selva.

I use Agua Brava occasionally when I go out at night. It's a very manly refined scent, in the same league as Tabac Original
I can't put my finger on the scent, but I think it's more woody than piney, strictly a night time scent - I think it's too rich to use in the daytime because it can be a bit sickly and cloying in the morning
I'm planning on getting some retro stuff like Pino Silvestre, Denim and Blue Stratos, but I'm trying to run my stocks down first to make some shelf space, so at the moment I'd rather have the money

I use Agua Brava occasionally when I go out at night. It's a very manly refined scent, in the same league as Tabac Original
I can't put my finger on the scent, but I think it's more woody than piney, strictly a night time scent - I think it's too rich to use in the daytime because it can be a bit sickly and cloying in the morning
I'm planning on getting some retro stuff like Pino Silvestre, Denim and Blue Stratos, but I'm trying to run my stocks down first to make some shelf space, so at the moment I'd rather have the money
Thanks for the description.

Thanks for the description.
I'm wearing Agua Brava as I'm writing this ready to go out to a Neil Diamond tribute.
I still can't describe the exact scent, but it's more pine wood than pine needles and for some reason I occasionally get a slight whiff of something that reminds me of licorice-
Definitely an air of mystery to this one!!

So, I can see where this is going. Just like everything else..... I'll have to get both of them.

Is Pino Sylvestre more like Polo green?

Is Pino Sylvestre more like Polo green?

Well, they are both green, but Polo is leathery and smoky, and it's a monster in sillage and longevity, like most frags of its era. Pino is simpler and surely less macho but more romantic than Polo.

Pino Silvestre is a great scent. Very fresh. Pine and lemon with some green odors maybe mint. Only problem is that it does not last. Even on clothes it is almost gone in a couple hours. You guys notice that too?

Pino Silvestre is a great scent. Very fresh. Pine and lemon with some green odors maybe mint. Only problem is that it does not last. Even on clothes it is almost gone in a couple hours. You guys notice that too?

Yes, on me it lasts 3-4 hours, but I don't see it as a problem, because I use it on special ocassions, and not as an everyday scent. What about Agua Brava?

Yes, on me it lasts 3-4 hours, but I don't see it as a problem, because I use it on special ocassions, and not as an everyday scent. What about Agua Brava?
Just got the AB in the mail yesterday. Tested it on paper vs. Pino last night. Starts out very similar. Maybe more lemon at first. Dries down a lot different. Where Pino stays pine and minty, green herbs, AB gets really woody and has a dryer herb scent. A little darker than Pino. Put it on this morning and its longevity is very similar. On skin it's gone on me in 30-45 min. On fabric it stays close for 5 hours now. I can barely smell it anymore.

Both are very similar, but only for 15 minutes. They are quite different after that. You can safely apply more than you might with most other scents. While I might use 1 spray of Knize Ten, I would be safe with 4-6 of each of these. Might be a lot for a very short time, but they both settle right down. I'll try both out for a while, but I like both of them.

Pino has a very 'sharp' scent when first sprayed, but is quite muted once it dries down. I like it though, but do not use it that often.

Both are very similar, but only for 15 minutes. They are quite different after that. You can safely apply more than you might with most other scents. While I might use 1 spray of Knize Ten, I would be safe with 4-6 of each of these. Might be a lot for a very short time, but they both settle right down. I'll try both out for a while, but I like both of them.

I notice the same thing with Pino Silvestre. I wasn't sure if it was the quality of the sprayer on my bottle, or the strength of the cologne itself - but I need more sprays if I want the scent to last. That said, if I just put on what feels like too much, it turns out to be just right after about 20 minutes.

Pino is good stuff. I actually like that it is not as strong as some colognes. I find the dry-down scent very muted and subtle, but I can still get a whiff of it after several hours. It's a scent that my wife likes too, so that's a good thing. I pair it with Proraso Green AS for an all-Italian shave.

Top Bottom