What's new

Tailoring a cheap suit.

Thanks, I still have the physical exams to get through first, but I'll make my way through them as best I can.

Good luck! IMO, the main thing is your attitude and a neat appearance. How expensive or stylish the suit is much less important!

Interestingly enough, I've only had one department give me mandatory appearance guidelines. I suppose the other departments don't give strict guidelines as an effective way of sorting out those not up for the seriousness of the position.

Cheap suit is fine. Just made sure it get them tailored. And please do not get a black suit. Stick with charcoal or navy. You will get more use out of them. If you have multiple interviews, you can wear the same suit but change up the shirt and tie.

If you don't have dress shoes, you should get cap toe shoes and make sure you break them in before the interview (a few weeks in advance). This will allow you to walk and be comfortable instead of worrying about blisters and stiff leather during the interview.

good luck!

I was thinking of getting just a Navy Suit for now and then getting a charcoal/gray suit at some other point.
Right now I have a brand new pair of Stacy Adams Madison Cap Toe boots to wear with my suit. I'll definitely need to break them in though, I've only worn them once to test for size so far.

I was thinking of getting just a Navy Suit for now and then getting a charcoal/gray suit at some other point.
Right now I have a brand new pair of Stacy Adams Madison Cap Toe boots to wear with my suit. I'll definitely need to break them in though, I've only worn them once to test for size so far.

How much did you pay for the Stacy Adams? If you still have time to look for shoes, it may help to look at the shoebank.com. Great prices on seconds and shoes that'll last you years of enjoyment.

Don't rule out resale shops for good suits. Thrifting with the wife in Houston recently, I came accross a few nice suits made by Brooks Brothers, Hartman Schaffer, etc. Too bad I did not need another suit. The name of the shop for you boys in Houston is The Guild.

I paid about $100 for the Stacy Adams, I like them enough to keep them no matter what, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I need some more upscale shoes.

Funny, I bought my first suit for a police department job interview. Being a poor student with no money, I bought the suit at a thrift store for $15. Would you believe that my last new suit cost $6000? (Of course I no longer work for a police department.)

You would be better off getting as good a suit as you can afford, perhaps two or three. If you are smart (and a little lucky) you won't be wearing a patrolman's uniform for long. Any cheap suit store is fine to start with, and policemen aren't expected to wear anything too nice. My friends in the nearby FBI field office always dressed as though they were attending fashion week in Beverly Hills, which is remarkable as their salaries weren't much better than mine. If you prefer a quality suit, buy a new, unfinished suit on eBay, and have your local tailor fit it to you. The better sellers on eBay will provide all the measurements, you just need to choose something in the ballpark, and let your local tailor do the work, most dry cleaning shops can do it, or recommend someone. Going the eBay route will get you something like a Armani black label, Ralph Lauren, or other high-end brand for what you would pay for a mediocre quality suit at the Mens Wearhouse, or similar places.

By the way, be prepared for your interview! I didn't actually apply to be a police officer because I wanted to be one, I went with a friend who was applying, and wanted my help. As luck would have it, he failed the tests, and I passed.

If the process hasn't changed so much since I went through it, you will be interviewed by three senior officers. Before the interview you might be given a paper to write down why you want to be a police officer. I was unprepared for this. They handed me a blank piece of paper with no lines, and a pencil. I made up something on the spot, concentrated on writing neatly, and thankfully it was enough. Prepare a paragraph about why you want to be a police officer, make sure the spelling, grammar, and punctuation are correct. Memorize it in case you are asked, keep a copy in your pocket in case you are told to write it down, you can copy from the one you have in your pocket.

They might ask you what you would do if you pulled over your supervisor, and he was driving drunk. Tell them you would call him a cab, and put his car in the impound. A DUI is a misdemeanor, and as such, you have discretion whether or not to arrest him on the spot.

Good luck,

Top Bottom