What's new

Suggestions on a range bag. What do you use?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm in need of a range bag. I currently use a Targus 15" laptop bag. It's not made for what I'm using it for and it's beginning to show. I've got just about every pocket stuffed with something and I need a bigger, more organized and gun friendly bag.

Well, maybe not a bigger bag, just something specific for how I intend to use it.

My local Academy Sports sells Plano, S&W, Tactical, and their own brand. They have a good enough selection that I could get something off the shelf. But I'd like to know of any other brands I'll be missing out on.

My budget is $100 or less
I shoot pistols and take a couple with me when I go
It needs to carry ammo, cleaning kit, eye and ear protection, and anything else that goes along with the range and guns.

Thank you!

I use the Midway Competition range bag. It is about 60 bucks. It comes with a smaller ammo bag, brass bag, and 2 pistol cases. I have been using mine about 3 years. It has held up great.

Heck, I just use an old flight bag. It's plenty big and having that huge flap opens up to get to everything. Uncle Sam gave it to me. But I see them in surplus stores pretty cheap.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for but when I was shooting in matches I found the range bag from Dillon Precision to be the best. If you are not familiar they make reloading equipment and make or handle other shooting supplies as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks guys. Just basically looking for something to hold a couple pistols (or at least one), ammo, eye/ear protection and various cleaning stuff.

My laptop bag isn't cutting it and I want something specific for my purpose.

$image.jpeg

I bought one of these some time back. It's extremely well made and holds lots of gear. They're available on Amazon for about $60-$65. Worth checking out I'd say. Made by Bulldog.

I use a canvas tool I got from Sears. I don't care if it says Craftsman on the outside.

And if somebody doesn't like my fashion, they can look at the guy next to me. He's probably got nicer stuff.

If you want a good range bag, try GPS. They've got a wide range of durable, well organized bags. I had a Beretta bag that quit on me after three years of good service and it was replaced with a GPS medium range bag. Not the prettiest to look at but awfully functional.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I also recommend GPS; I have the range back pack, enough space for all your stuff plus at least three guns. It comes with even three independent guns bags that will fit the bag and have enough space for a gun plus four mags. The best bang for the buck and very well made and perfect designed for a range bag.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Those GPS bags look promising. Multiple websites give them perfect or near perfect ratings.

I'm kind of digging this one

proxy.php

Last edited:
I love my gps backpack, although I kind of wish I had gotten the above pistol bag so I could fit 4 instead of 3 in the range bag,but the quality and thought that went into it are outstanding

It looks like Walmart sells those GPS bags.

I use the midway compact bag for matches as it carries just enough and I hate lugging a giant bag stage to stage.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That does look pretty cool, especially if you're going to shoot multiple guns per range trip. The Dillon bag is made more for competition where you carry one, maybe two guns, range gear and a whole lot of ammo. The Dillon bag is designed to be used with their "Border Shift" ammo bag.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It looks like Walmart sells those GPS bags.

I use the midway compact bag for matches as it carries just enough and I hate lugging a giant bag stage to stage.

Walmart seems to have a decent price on them too compared to other retailers.

Top Bottom