What's new

Coconut Sandalwood

Yup pretty much. A lot of product, extra time and a lot of water added slowly while building lather.
Pretty much just how KJ does it in the video on mystic4men.com

I watched the video before I ordered. It helped.

It didn't feel like I was adding slowly, but I did do several additions. It felt like I was adding about a Tablespoon at a time.

I watched the video before I ordered. It helped.

It didn't feel like I was adding slowly, but I did do several additions. It felt like I was adding about a Tablespoon at a time.

I was just dribbling some water from fingertips into bowl probably 4 or 5 times.
I hear people mention water hardness and lathering but I don't think I've heard yet what effect soft or hard water has on it.
Just a long the lines of I lathered x product and I have hard water.

Hungry for piña coladas?!?! Try an ice cold Bain Amour shave soap if you want something less fruity, first listed ingredient is beer!:w00t:

Thanks, but it's the pineapple and coconut that sounds exciting. I'll keep the Bain Amour for the face. My wife surprised me w two pucks after smelling it in the samples pass around.

Got mine today. Smells great. I'll try it out when my current soap is finished. Am about halfway through a puck of QCS Basilica, which I love. 3017ers have rules, you know. :001_smile

I am no longer friends with any of you, until my puck gets delivered!

This message brought to you by Chad's phone.... most likely with typos

My morning shave was absolutely fabulous. Coconut Sandalwood really got my day off to a good start. It is still somewhat surprising how much water Mystic Water needs, but oh the lather! I took three passes to BBS and even gave myself a bit of razor burn on the ATG pass, but my face feels great and I can barely notice the irritation. This is great soap.

Yesterday was my first experience with Mystic waters. All in all I would say I am very pleased. Still in love with the scent, and it paired well with PAAs The Beach AS. Lather was full and creamy (Captains Choice bowl), held up well, with plenty left over after my usual two pass shave. But, it did take a bit more water and time than the soaps in my usual rotation (WSP, PAA, BW). I can't put my finger on it, but it had a bit of a different face feel, but the save was excellent none the less. I still want to find an AS with a closer scent profile, but this one is a keeper, and I hope will be available for a long time to come.

Sounds like this soap is getting positive reviews! I am sure once dialed in this will be a favorite of many people. I noticed that many are wishing for a close match in the AS department. A thought I had was to purchase fragrance oils that might match this scent and do a make your own AS with perfumers alcohol. I am unable to do this at this point, but something someone or myself may want to try in the future.

Ok so went for round two and tried my new lathering technique and grabbed a NEW SC with a new Bic chrome platinum. Lather looked pretty good so I didn't bother to feel it and went straight to my face.
Then proceeded to have one of the worst shaves I've ever had. No cushion or slickness and I could hear the lather disappearing from my face. The soap was burning my skin and leaving it an angry irritated red. Only other soap that has done that is Col. Conk bay rum and not nearly as bad. I'm hoping this was mainly caused from my damaged skin from last shave.
So what's a guy to do when his skin is red hot? I splashed some osage rub on which was worse than salt in the wound. So with eyes watering and having my fill of committing war crimes on my face I'll chalk that up to a total failure. My skin was fried and scaly.

But I'm no quitter! I grabbed the only brush I haven't tried and went back to my old method. Essentially the Marco method I soaked my Envy White 24mm and let the water drip out without squeezing or shaking. Loaded on puck for a minute and went straight to face to work the lather.
Was perfect, where the last lather felt dry and airy between fingers this lather was thick, creamy, very slick and stayed that way for minutes on my face.
I tried a little more water to work on my face to see what would happen and it immediately started to break down.
So one 24mm envy white soaked is the perfect amount of water for me.
However I was still noticing some burning on my skin so I still may have problems when I go to shave. I'll give my face a few days off before trying again.

Oh ya and this time my skin felt moisturized and the scent was pleasantly stronger.

For those looking for frags to match I surfed with the Coco sandalwood again today and the results were stellar. Mixed up the match a bit and still think a good sandalwood as T&H, Fine, etc and an aquatic seem to work well. Don and I must have been on the same wavelength as I ordered up some Frag & E&O to figure out a recipe for homemade. If you are going to try use a very good vodka or actually spend the extra and get Perfumer's alcohol as it seems to emulsify the oils a bit better. Will post the recipe once I get all the stuff in and test it. Also I am going to try a "bootleggers" recipe as well to see if you can just mix some stuff together.

My set up today:

proxy.php

For those looking for frags to match I surfed with the Coco sandalwood again today and the results were stellar. Mixed up the match a bit and still think a good sandalwood as T&H, Fine, etc and an aquatic seem to work well. Don and I must have been on the same wavelength as I ordered up some Frag & E&O to figure out a recipe for homemade. If you are going to try use a very good vodka or actually spend the extra and get Perfumer's alcohol as it seems to emulsify the oils a bit better. Will post the recipe once I get all the stuff in and test it. Also I am going to try a "bootleggers" recipe as well to see if you can just mix some stuff together.

My set up today:

proxy.php

That looks incredible Dave! Those AS's sound like they would all be a good fit!

I had my first experience with the soap today. This is also my first artisan purchase. Absolutely love the scent! Great balance of the coconut and sandalwoods with a slight sweetness in between. Definitely screams 'beach' and 'summer' but in a very good way. I built my lather the some way I do with all of my other soaps, not knowing that this one is slightly different. I ended up with a not so nice lather with bigger bubbles. I worked it some on my face and the lather came together pretty well. I know I still need to dial this one in a little better though. First pass was with a Universal and then I switched to my Slim since the kids needed me. Nice and smooth shave. I was blown away by the closeness and post shave face feel and I hadn't put on any aftershave yet! I used Floyd Vigoroso. This one rates in the top 3 of my best shaves ever and I wasn't even aiming for that. My wife loves the scent and said she wanted to eat the soap. If my next few shaves are anywhere as good as this one I will be a fanboy. I am 4 hours post shave and still find myself enamored with how smooth and soft my face feels. Must-show-restraint-and-not-buy-more-soaps!!!!

My set up today:

proxy.php

I have actually had some EO in my amazon cart since the day I got my soap, thinking I would try to make some balm, but I know nothing about EOs, so haven't pulled the trigger. Any recommendation on good brands, and sources?

Since I don't currently have any Sandalwood ASes, I put in an order from ItalianBarber this weekend. I am picking up some Fine Santal Absolut and some RazoRock Santal Royale. I hope that one, actually both, pair well with this wonderful soap.

Have any of you guys tried the Santal Royale? Just curious.

Top Bottom