What's new

Petroleum Jelly

I just wanted to know if this would work as a means of keeping my blades from rusting while stored? I currently use my gun lubricating oil which seems to do the trick. Are there any other household items that will work for this.

Almost any oil will work and in drier climates even the oil is unnecessary so long as you clean and dry the blade thoroughly and store it in a low humidity location. I live in Florida only about a half hour off the beach so we have to take extra precautions. Once clean and dry I apply a bit of my favorite gun oil to the blade and store them in silicone sleeves. Petroleum jelly works well, but is considerably harder to clean off when it is time to shave.

I use a very lite viscosity "Singer" sewing machine oil, never had any problems, and live here in Thailand, the land of high humidity. Of course I use silicon packs inside the storage box, inside a clothes closet, not in the bathroom, where humidity can really be a overdose problem.

I use sewing machine oil too, for general oiling (pivot, etc), it's probably the cheapest mineral oil here, nearly as cheap as baby oil, even. I'll probably use that if I ever need to oil for storage or shipping.

I recently bit the bullet and bought one of those SackUps silicone/cotton cloth rolls, though, and am pretty impressed by it; I may never need to oil for storage. The individual sleeves are probably even better and TSS has them for the cheap, if you're in CONUS.

Last edited:
I just bought that sack ups on SRD for my straights store them in a metal box (TBS gift set) stored in my closet.
I had a Silica pack in it but thought it might dry out the sack up sleeves.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Petroleum jelly works great for long term storage. For the short term I use ordinary motor oil. It makes a very good film. You will notice that baby oil and some other oils will not make a good film sometimes.

I picked up some mineral oil I'm probably being over protective right now they only set 4 or 5 days between shaves, but I hope to eventually work up to every shave being a SR shave.

The only thing I have a problem with would be coating a blade that is not completely dry and trapping moisture in the pores of the steel since Petrolium Jelly (parafin and mineral oil) and mineral oil in themselves are not a thin moisture dispacing lubricant. I am a minimalist I guess so I only really run one blade at a time and just tend that one every other day with a monthly polishing with Maas or following a touch up. I have more problems with spotting during air travel than I do at home. I will try mineral oil though the next time I fly.

Top Bottom