What's new

Time to clean out the blade drawer

If you have been at this for any length of time then you probably have a drawer/box/bag with many open and unopened tucks of blades, some of which have been in there for years. Some tucks have 2, 3, or 4 blades, while others are unopened. They came with razors, or as parts of blade samplers, or or as "special gifts" from Russian or Indian ebay sellers from whom you bought blades in bulk. Some I tried and just didn't like, while others were thrown in the drawer and forgotten.

I only have about 18 or 20 of these tucks, but I have decided that I am going to use them all up before cracking another package of my more fave blades. I have Dorcos, Derbys, Big Bens, Crystal, Bic Chromes, 3 different Treets, a few different Lords, Merkurs, Ascos, a couple different Personnas, both Sharks, some Supermax, a couple different Wilkinsons, Racers, a couple Kai ... you get the idea. Those are the ones I remember. I am excluding those blades that I have or had purchased in large quantities, as I use them anyway. These for whatever reason I just never choose, and they sit, and sit, and sit.

I know that some of these blades are quite good, and some mediocre. But I have often foolishly bragged that I could shave with a quahog shell and motor oil, so we'll see. In any case, that's me sorted for about a year when it comes to blades.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I was just looking though my bag of loose tucks and realized that there are quite a few blades I haven't even tried yet. Time to start getting through them.

I know what you mean, I was just looking though my bag of loose tucks and realized that there are quite a few blades I haven't even tried yet. Time to start getting through them.
We should turn this into a "thing"-- get guys to sign on to doing it and to occasionally report on how it goes. We could call ourselves the "Rummage Men."

All my loose blade and open tucks were in my bathroom cabinet and I had made a concerted effort to use them up before diving into any new blade packs. And I was almost there...then I bought a 36 blade sampler (18 blades x 2). I have no idea why. But I promised myself that, moving forward, I'd only pull blades from that sampler or from the few remaining open tucks in the cabinet.

We'll see how that goes.

All my loose blade and open tucks were in my bathroom cabinet and I had made a concerted effort to use them up before diving into any new blade packs. And I was almost there...then I bought a 36 blade sampler (18 blades x 2). I have no idea why. But I promised myself that, moving forward, I'd only pull blades from that sampler or from the few remaining open tucks in the cabinet.

We'll see how that goes.

Are you saying that you're "in"? Are you a "Rummage Man"?

Wow!! I'm 4 weeks into my DE shaving adventure and I'm already a Rummage Man pledge candidate. Just checking my cabinet, I've got 3 types of Gillette (Silver Blues, Platinums, and 7 o'clock Greens), Astra SP's, Merkurs, Feathers, Derbys, Dorcos, SuperMax, Sharks, and VHD Ice Tempered - after only 4 weeks!! :w00t:

Wow!! I'm 4 weeks into my DE shaving adventure and I'm already a Rummage Man pledge candidate. Just checking my cabinet, I've got 3 types of Gillette (Silver Blues, Platinums, and 7 o'clock Greens), Astra SP's, Merkurs, Feathers, Derbys, Dorcos, SuperMax, Sharks, and VHD Ice Tempered - after only 4 weeks!! :w00t:
You're in! Fully fledged!

I had a few of those too!!
I sorted them out into samplers in mid December and auctioned them off on eBay !!
I shifted them all, not for a great amount, but considering that they were all technically "File #13" anyway it was all profit - I made enough to order 100 Rapira Stainless from a Turkish seller

Maybe. I could use the accountability to get through these loose blades. But not opening a new tuck? I have Vintage Wilkinson Swords and Gillette Platinum Pluses waiting in the wings...unopened. I'll ponder it some.

If we get 3 more positive (or at least "I might") responses I'll start a thread on the Clubs and Brotherhoods board for the "Rummage Men."

I'm doing this same thing right now actually! Starting to pack up all my stuff to get ready to move so I just grabbed all the "odds and ends" put them in a ziplock and that's all I will use until they are gone.

I've recently begun doing... the opposite. Since the beginning of my DE shaving endeavor a couple of years ago, I've always enjoyed using random loose blades and have found it nearly impossible to stick with a single blade type for more than a few shaves in a row. However, I'm finally settling on a decent short list of favorite blades, and I've been using random loose ones a lot less lately. So, apparently, I'm not in.

I've recently begun doing... the opposite. Since the beginning of my DE shaving endeavor a couple of years ago, I've always enjoyed using random loose blades and have found it nearly impossible to stick with a single blade type for more than a few shaves in a row. However, I'm finally settling on a decent short list of favorite blades, and I've been using random loose ones a lot less lately. So, apparently, I'm not in.
To everything there is a season... it is good to settle on a couple of faves and ride them. That's what got me into the situation where I have a drawer full of singletons! I used one blade and ignored the odd ones that came to me from time to time. Buy yourself a hundred of something you really like.

Top Bottom