What's new

Grinder issue

I purchased a setup for espresso last year including a Gaggia baby twin and MDF grinder. Everything has worked well this year and been a good investment to learn on. The grinder was from eBay with at least a year of use. I was having issues getting a normal flow for espresso, it was going way to fast. I suspected worn out burrs but wanted to test for other issues. I had noticed needing to grind finer and it took longer to get the same amount. Setting it to 2 was still not helping and 1 is bottomed out. Used to grind in the 4-6 range. After a new tamper, fresh beans and grinding with my hario skerton, I was able to get good results.

So here's my question, should I replace the burrs and where do I buy them? Or save up for a new grinder since I'm not fond of the doser model and what to get?

I found a few sites that used to sell replacements bit seems that no longer carry the parts. I've been considering a grinder in the range of the virtuoso/precision.

I mostly do espresso but sometimes do drip or aeropress. I think that should cover most of the questions but let me know if I forgot something. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated

It does sound like the burrs are worn. I'm not familiar with that grinder or where to get the parts, but I can comment on the Preciso you mentioned. I have had one for around 3 years now. It has worked very well for all manner of different methods. I used to regularly swap between espresso and pour over with it. The macro adjustment is great for that sort of thing and it is very repeatable. My burrs are now needing replacement but that is after a couple years of constant use (ie. ~2 shots per weekday avg, few pour overs every weekend). They also went quite gradually so I could still use it but with a lower setting.

pull the burrs off, clean everything, and see if they are dull. It's night and day between fresh burrs and old worn out ones. Buying it used like you did, who knows how much coffee previously went through it. I went through approx a hundred lbs of beans (very approx) before I finally decided to change the burrs. The first grind after changing them was also like night and day. I swear, it seemed to take half the time of the worn out burrs. Sounded different even.

-jim

Thanks for the feedback. I have cleaned with grindz and did just a few weeks ago. I tore it apart when I first got it and did a thorough cleaning. After testing with my hario, I was really thinking they needed to be replaced but wanted to make sure I didn't forget something. Maybe I can replace the burrs and sell it to find a preciso. I was trying to be frugal when I got into this hobby last year just to make sure it was worth my money. I now know it is �� any other suggestions on grinders? Have looked at the Rocky as well but want sure it's worth the bump up in cost.

Forget the Rocky. It was recommended long ago but the market has introduced many new options over the years. The Rocky does not have the necessary adjustability. It can be modified but you can get a suitable espresso grinder that doesn't require modification to do what it is supposed to do.

The Preciso is about the minimum of what most espresso enthusiasts would recommend. A number or range for your budget would help. I don't keep track of the pricing of various grinders. There are certainly other options close to the Preciso in cost but I'd probably have to refer to discussions on Coffee Geek to find other typical suggestions in that range.

Last edited:
My budget will be whatever I need to save to purchase it... So it just changes how long I have to wait for it. $50 for the burrs will come much quicker but my birthday is in July so maybe by then the preciso is an option. If the next recommended step up is in the $500 range like I'm expecting then the preciso well be perfect.

Forget the Rocky. It was recommended long ago but the market has introduced many new options over the years. The Rocky does not have the necessary adjustability. It can be modified but you can get a suitable espresso grinder that doesn't require modification to do what it is supposed to do.

The Preciso is about the minimum of what most espresso enthusiasts would recommend. A number or range for your budget would help. I don't keep track of the pricing of various grinders. There are certainly other options close to the Preciso in cost but I'd probably have to refer to discussions on Coffee Geek to find other typical suggestions in that range.

Whoa, I think somebody has hijacked  takeshi's account - there is the missing YMMV.

:smile:

I was going to say the same thing, adding in that I use my Rocky for pour overs and french press style and it's just great for that. I would pop for another brand if I were to get into espresso. Look for a used Mazzer Super Jolly?

-jim

The Rocky does have a higher build quality but could use more adjustment settings. 500 bucks gets you into Macap or Mazzer Mini territory. However if you do brewed coffee and espresso and want only one grinder you'll probably be happier with a Baratza due to the speed and ease of adjustment.

A good disassembly and cleaning should come first.

If this does not bring it back, keep the existing burrs and keep it as a brew grinder. If you set it to a coarser setting you should have enough consistency left in the burs for a few years use as a brew grinder. You do not say if your MDF is a doser or chute model.

I could not recommend anything less than a Mazzer Mini if you think you will stick with espresso. The mini is a good entry point for higher end prosumer lower end commercial espresso. The Mini should hold you in good stead for the next few years but like with anything in the coffee hobby, you will be looking for something better.

A good disassembly and cleaning should come first.

If this does not bring it back, keep the existing burrs and keep it as a brew grinder. If you set it to a coarser setting you should have enough consistency left in the burs for a few years use as a brew grinder. You do not say if your MDF is a doser or chute model.

I could not recommend anything less than a Mazzer Mini if you think you will stick with espresso. The mini is a good entry point for higher end prosumer lower end commercial espresso. The Mini should hold you in good stead for the next few years but like with anything in the coffee hobby, you will be looking for something better.

I will do a tear down/clean this weekend and check the burrs. Keeping it as a brew grinder is a good idea but it is a doser model. It also appears there is no easy way to modify it for direct grinding. The only issue is counter space. The Mrs was ok with me getting another grinder/espresso machine until I mentioned it would be in addition to what I have. I'm currently only taking up about 3 ft of counter space (coffee maker, grinder, espresso machine, accessories) with plenty of room to expand but I don't think it will be approved.

As for the Mazzer Mini, am I looking at spending over $500 or is buying used on ebay the way to go? Also I currently have a Gaggia Baby Twin. I'm guessing I would notice an improvement in espresso quality even on that machine but is the Mazzer really for when I would be upgrading my espresso machine too?

Chris Coffee sells the Mini with doser for about $550. They will usually give a discount if you call them. If you find a used one near you that you can check out in person I wouldn't hesitate. I think you will notice a difference in espresso quality with your current machine. The improvement in my espresso after the Mini arrived was not subtle.

I got a used super jolly off craigslist that was trashed for $200; full of black oily coffee grinds and oil; so gummed up the doser didn't even function.

After a full teardown, cleaning, and new burrs it works as good as new. So if you ever see one, no matter the condition, jump on it. They are tanks and are relatively easy to tear down.

I got a used super jolly off craigslist that was trashed for $200; full of black oily coffee grinds and oil; so gummed up the doser didn't even function.

After a full teardown, cleaning, and new burrs it works as good as new. So if you ever see one, no matter the condition, jump on it. They are tanks and are relatively easy to tear down.

They are made to be used commercially (hundreds of grinds a day) and keep on working for decades and decades.

About the only thing that can wear out is the burrs which are easily replaced.

In home use you should never need to replace a burr set.

I finally got a chance to take the MDF apart yesterday. It wasn't too dirty so the cleanup was easy. I also decided to try the stepless mod with teflon tape which was easy enough to do. That part seems to be working well enough and I'm getting the same fineness in grinding as compared to my hand grinder. It still is not providing the same level of espresso though. I believe the rest of my variables (tamp, dose, bean freshness) have been worked out. I get about 10 secs from the Gaggia and 16 from the hand grinder. Does it seem the consistency could be off between the 2 grinders?

Both me and my wife felt the burrs. She thought they seemed dull compared to what she was expecting to feel. They still have an edge (not rounded) to them but I could run my fingers over them without catching much. Tried the back of my fingernail and it didn't seem to provide much resistance. I'm still thinking a whole new grinder may be the way to go but money is tight with 2 kids. Replacing the burrs is just an order away unless someone has another thought. Thanks for the help so far!

Got the new burrs yesterday and installed them. They seemed much sharper and seen to be grinding better. I can get an even finer grind than the hand grinder but the results are worse. It also seems to have better consistency at similar courseness. Still not getting the same results though. Only tried 2 shots this morning though. Will have to try a few more tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm wondering if the left over ground coffee in the chute is causing the problem?

If your getting a finer grind and a more consistent grind, then I would look at some of the other variables. You can eliminate the "left over ground coffee in the chute" easily enough with a vacuum or some other method to blow it out. Just to see how much is actually still left in the grinder. I know I can get a teaspoon or so out of my Rocky by clapping the bean reservoir cap down a couple of times.

-jim

Unless it is mis-designed you will only get about a half porafilter of old grounds when you start.

What kind of awful are you getting?

Too fast?
Too slow
Sour?
biter?

What are you using for a tamper and have you tried to adjust your tamp pressure?

There are more variables to making espresso than there are to shaving.

Top Bottom