What's new

What is your knife of choice?

Finally after allot of searching I concluded that for me the best all around blade to carry when outdoors, is a fallkniven f1 in a JRE custom leather sheath (pic below). Small enough to peel an apple and to cut a steak, large enough to skin an animal and with a broad back that can take batoning easily, I don't think I'll ever trust anything else as much.
What's your knife of choice and why? If available show us a photo.

$F1dang-combo-stone-br5.jpg

Hunting knives? Helle knives, bar none, and I have two of them. Nothing better, IMO.

I also have a fixed-blade Gerber that I found just laying on the ground on a Colorado trail one day. Another favorite of mine is a hand-made knife made from a circular sawmill blade and (legally obtained) ivory handles. It isn't pretty, but it's very functional. I found it at a flea market in California. I also have a couple of Uncle Henry folders, a Remington bullet pocket knife that belonged to my great uncle, and a couple of Leatherman multitools.

Although I have many many knives, right now my favorite is one I just finished making in D2 steel with red and black linen micarta scales and a stainless bolster. I also made the sheath out of 8-9 oz. leather.

Attachments

• $WP_20151231_006.jpg
    $WP_20151231_006.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 267
  • $WP_20151231_005.jpg
    $WP_20151231_005.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 263
That looks gorgeous mate. Looks perfect for skinning.

Thanks. I'm still new to knife making but each new one I make looks a little better than the last. Yeah I was wanting to a great skinner that could also quarter. I hunt quite a bit so I'm always looking for the perfect one knife field processing blade. This one is pretty close!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The best all around knife is the one that you will most likely be carrying on a daily basis or EDC.

I carry a Spyderco Police everyday when at work and a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 when not at work.

I carry in my back pack a beat up, old 1095 Carbon steel Ontario Rat 3.5 inch fixed blade, with the coating all worn off, super sharp and can easily be resharpened on a smooth rock miles away from civilization.

Everyday, I carry either a Spyderco PM2 or a Manix 2 CF S90V.

OP... looks like your sheath is new and your knife is also new or like new!

This is not my real knife, my real knife is very very dirty and I wasn't comfortable showing. But since you'd like a peak, here is my regular set (plus a leatherman). When I'm not in a jungly environment I prefer the axe instead of the machete (mostly).
$Photo on 3-8-16 at 11.54 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
fallkniven makes great knifes.
My knife of choice is the J-P. Peltonen M95. I have two of them - the former and the current model:

$Untitled222.jpg

I'd love to se that Ontario Rat, it's a beautiful knife. Why do you choose sharpening on a rock? You can hurt your blade up to the point of it loosing it's stainless capabilities (I'm not the one to talk about ruining blades, I've shed my share of tears over destroyed blades). Try one of those fixed angle sharpeners, I never managed to properly sharpen a knife in the wild and carrying stones just adds to the carry weight.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
On the trail: Ka-Bar or Himalayan Imports khukuri ... lately it is a Matt Bailey custom hunter.

EDC goes round and round ... Benchmade mini barrage, leatherman skeletool, Spyderco Native, Benchmade Pardue ... hm. Should revisit the Swamp Rats; they shouldn't be shelf queens ...

AA

proxy.php

Gerber Gator Folding.
I have a lot of knives that are EDC, but this is my knife that goes with me hunting and has for the last 20 years. The first real knife the I bought on my own. Has field dressed more deer than I can count. Has been on a lot of fishing trips and has done a lot of camping duty. Still keeps a wicked edge.

Hunting/out in the bush:
F1 Fallkniven

Around the home/garden/working on our land:
Daniel Fairly EDC

Wanting something to take with me everyday, but our carry laws here are pretty dumb.

I've got my share of tactical, military knives and fixed blades. Lately I have rotated between a Case Sodbuster, Case Peanut, SAK, or Old Timer locking trapper. I find myself leaning more toward the Old Timer because the lock just makes me feel more comfortable. I know the proper use spiel and the whole you shouldn't NEED a lock on a knife thing, ultimately I know how to use a knife and I'm still more comfortable with the lock so it gets carried more. Its also an older Old Timer I bought at a flea market before I was actually legally allowed to buy a knife, back when they were actually good quality.

Legion

Staff member
For serious outdoors stuff I will usually carry my Kabar, but for general camp chores I use a custom "frontiers" style, forged knife by ML knives.

proxy.php

Top Bottom