What's new

What is your knife of choice?

Dammit....now I have to start looking for a soup knife. Gotta be prepared.
$image.jpeg

Haha

Sorry for laughing but shows the massive difference in country and culture here

I am from England and at best (and I mean really if absolutely needed and can be explained) I have a Swiss Army knife purely to pick things out of my bike chain using the small tool. If I was stopped by police I would really need to explain why I had a knife with me (even though it couldn't cut fresh air)

You guys from states/nz/aus etc carry things that can (and probably do) skin large reptiles with

Ah, the UK, where nobody can possibly improvise an impromptu weapon (rock, wrench etc) and lethal pocket knives are illegal to carry. Beaten only by the Aussies, who are probably going to ban plastic spoons, because they facilitate illegal eye removal. Finger food only!

Here are my daily carry knife for the US and my overseas cockroach sticker. Can't remember stabbing or even threatening anyone ever with a knife, but I have slayed many apples, gutted fish, stripped wires and opened cans with those lethal weapons. The big one actually has a locking blade.

proxy.php

Depends on what I am hunting. May be a bird knife with a gut hook, fillet knife, etc.

However, for survival I want a full tang knife to split wood such as my kbar.

My EDC (on the bottom): A modified Mercator k55k. Incredible small, flat, lightweight and durable. Simple and yet reliable lockback mechanism, which was produced this way for approx. 160 years.
Despite the small size there's a 3.5" blade which is large and slim enough to prepare food. Fits in almost every pocket. Probably the most German knife you can get. :001_smile
This one's stainless, but I wish I would have taken the carbon steel version. Maybe in my next life...

The knife on the top is a Mora Clipper from Sweden. They come with a cheap looking but very handy plastic sheath and cost almost nothing. Despite the cheap looks the swedish steel might easily outperform much more expensive blades.
They're also available in stainless or carbon steel (recommended) and you can totally beat the crap out of them. The scandi grind is easy to sharpen and Moras are most reliable working knives, almost undestroyable. Not meant to be admired, but to do the job.

Attachments

• $Knives.jpg
    $Knives.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 76
EDC pocket knife is an Opinel no 6 with an olivewood handle. In the field when I need something for serious knife work I carry a Springfield .45 ACP in condition 1.

$knife.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Depends on what I'm doing. My EDC is an old Kershaw Ken Onion design that has cut more seat belts and whittled more toothpicks than I can remember. I have checked bags while flying solely so I could take this knife along (please don't tell my wife, I always blame her shoes as the reason we have to check a bag).
$IMG_1369.jpg
If I'm in the woods it's and old Marbles Ideal that my great uncle purchased while he was in the Marines during WWII. This knife probably skinned more deer before I was born than I will shoot in my lifetime. I bet it could tell some wonderful stories. It's bakelite pommel is a little loose, it has some minor pitting on the blade, and it's on it's 2nd or 3rd sheath but it still does what it's meant to do without any problems.
$IMG_1373.jpg

For every day carry in/around the office, I switch between a Kershaw Corral Creek (sheepsfoot blade profile) and a Buck 500 Duke. I carry the Kershaw more frequently because it's smaller and the sheepsfoot profile doesn't seem to "offend" as much as a clip point.

For the yard/woods, I carry a Condor Mini-Bushlore or (less frequently) the ubiquitous Buck 119.

Top Bottom