What's new

How much cigar do you leave behind?

I thought about calling this thread "Show us your butts", but figured that wouldn't fly.

Show us what's left of your cigar at the end.

Drew Estates Chateau Real 6x48
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457304226.612507.jpg

No picture to show, but I've never smoked one that small. Usually a couple of inches, depending on whether I'm enjoying it or not.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It varies a great deal for me. Basically, if time is not an issue, I smoke it as long as it's good. If I'm not enjoying it, then there's no good reason to continue on.

I'm a bit of a chewer, so that also tends to limit how much I can leave.

It varies a great deal for me. Basically, if time is not an issue, I smoke it as long as it's good. If I'm not enjoying it, then there's no good reason to continue on.
Same here. I tend to purge often so if the smoke goes south, it's over. If it's great I've stuck the end in a cob and finished it.

It varies but I usually pitch it when the smoke starts getting hot. It differs from cigar to cigar but generally it's around the last 1-1.5"

It varies but I usually pitch it when the smoke starts getting hot. It differs from cigar to cigar but generally it's around the last 1-1.5"

+1. However, I feel the best part of the cigar is the middle third, so I don't get upset if I have to let it go anytime after that. I've read that one should smoke a cigar down to the band then extinguish. I feel this is hogwash, what if the band is on the foot? Besides, I know folks who think the last few puffs before it starts getting hot are the best, so do what you like! If you want to burn your fingertips getting every last drop of a great cigar go for it, I've been guilty.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
$14575641048191591321726.jpg
Gurkha Archive 1887. Not every cigar is still good this far down. It's not quite done yet. I'm using my fingernails as a roach clip. When my nails start charring, I'll know it's time to give it up

I find the last half of the sugar to be less appealing than the first. The middle 1/3 is the best though. Somewhere in those two ranges is the sweet spot. I have been known to discard a half smoked cigar because I really don't feel the need to smoke it anymore. Cigars are fun. When they stop being enjoyably I put them aside.

I second that - I normally smoke them past the halfway mark, or more if I really an enjoying it - although there have been a few that dont make it past the first third before I cant take anymore -

Keep going with the cigar as long as you enjoy it (that is what it is there for), and pitch it when you don't care for it any longer!

I've smoked them down to where my fingers have gotten burned, and others I'll put out by the last third. All depends on the cigar, and my mood.

To my shame, i usually leave half or more. If its too cold out or gets too buggy. When I do this with a $20-$30 stick I shame myself. This week I have done it with an Opus X (cold)and a Camacho Triple Maduro (bugs).

Sometimes I'll nub it other times I'll chuck it early.
Sometimes it's just too good to give up on. Here's one I Nubbed last week.
proxy.php

YMMV is the key, no cigar roller would be offended if you quit after only an inch into their cigar if you weren't enjoying it. That is the whole reason for the cigar, is YOUR enjoyment, and the cigar rollers are fully aware of that! (heck, I bet even they would call it quits early on a cigar they did not like!)

For those that like to smoke all of a good cigar try this........find a smoking pipe that fits your brand of cigars, then stuff the stubby stub in the pipe , smoke the rest of the cigar 'till it's all gone!!

I used to bail hay as a kid and the farmer I worked for would stuff his cigar stubs in a pipe he carried just to smoke them all gone. Man never wasted anything!!!!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Geoff:
I usually let mine 'go' at or around the 2in range. :001_rolle

However, did you know that in Roy Howells book "Churchill's Last Years" [pg 35], he stated that man not only saved his re-lit (I just knock off as much ash as possible and re-light), cigars but regarded 'the last inch' as the best part of a cigar
proxy.php

Also, "later in his life, as the story goes, he collected his used cigar butts and gave them to his gardener who would grind them up to smoke
in his pipe".
proxy.php

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best". Sir Winston S. Churchill [/FONT]

Top Bottom