What's new

Immediate post shave = dfs. One hour post shave = bbs. What the?

Does that happen to you. You think you got a good shave when you are finished, just to realize 2 hours later that the stubble seems even less than initially felt? What is up with that?

Pores fully closed?
hair follicle receeds after much "attention"?
Facial oils returning and masking previously felt stubble?

Either way; SCORE!

Don't have an answer for you, but I'm sitting at my desk right now, rubbing my face, experiencing the same phenomenon. :thumbup1:

I image it has to do with what you put on your face and how you shave, maybe cold vs hot.
Something sounds like it's tightening your skin during the shave but relaxes over time allowing the skin to relax and expand.
my unscientific guess.

I was thinking something similar recently. I summed it up as "BBS does not necessarily equal a perfect shave."

Translated...as long as I look for whiskers to shave, I find whiskers to shave. Thank goodness I've learned how to approach this without giving myself razor burn.

And I've learned how to STOP.

Once I slap on the witch hazel and some moisturizer, I wonder what I had been fussing over.

Smooth as silk.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yep, it happens to me. In fact, I've also shaved until I felt like a billiard ball and then an hour later noticed little rough patches here and there. Can't explain it. I guess its just the vagaries of how my skin is absorbing the moisturizers I put on (or don't) or how my whisker follicles expand and contract with the skin.

If I shaved with the same razor, soap, and aftershave everyday, I could probably eliminate the variables and really dial in the BBS. But who wants to do that? :001_tongu

Does that happen to you. You think you got a good shave when you are finished, just to realize 2 hours later that the stubble seems even less than initially felt? What is up with that?

Pores fully closed?
hair follicle receeds after much "attention"?
Facial oils returning and masking previously felt stubble?

Either way; SCORE!

I notice it too. That (and razor burn) have caused me to stop seeking BBS on every shave.

I think you're correct. Using AS post-shave closes pores, but I think that the pores close further for a little while after. Also, good prep and lather saturate and expand the hairs, so post shave drying should cause them to shrink back. Not sure about the oils returning, but that could be true as well.

It has something to do with the fact that YOU ARE ALIVE....hence, new facial growth is a constant process, happening all the time. The rate of facial growth is variable between individuals...Even when you are dead, hair continues to grow for awhile...and fingernails...
(I speculate all the time on whether there will be shaving in heaven...after the resurrection of the body at the end of time. Can you imagine if there is, what the scents would smell like? Or the AS?)

I have a small area on the right side of my face at and just below my jaw-line that I can buff and rebuff until it feels smooth only to feel rough again an hour (or less) later. I've tried everything I can think of....Stretching my skin, Cold water, switching to different razors, to no avail.

I have had this happen.

It is really noticeable when I shave with ToBS Sandalwood soap, something I rarely use because I don't like Sandalwood on my skin ... faceturbation kept feeling closer and closer for several hours after the shave, finally peaking about 6 hours after I put down the razor. And I got roughly an extra 12 hours before the visible stubble came back again the next day.

Its an interesting effect, but not something I'd deliberately go for. As I said, I don't like Sandalwood on my skin, although having that smell in the air is great.

It might happen with other flavors and brands of soap, but if so, its barely noticeable. But with ToBS Sandalwood, its dramatic, and it happens every time that I use this particular soap.

I'm on the "your whiskers plump up when hydrated" train.

I think this is correct. I notice that once I get in the shower and get some hydration on the face that I suddenly have much more beard to shave than before the shower. It stands to reason that the hydration of the whiskers will go away post-shave via evaporation, perhaps hastened by using alcohol-based aftershaves and such.

Top Bottom