What's new

Coolcut 9 Injector Shavette - Sanguine Artist Club?

Sanguine are famous for their reasonably well made and very well priced Coolcut half-DE shavettes.

The Coolcut 9 however takes standard injector blades.
The hype describes it as "The Mother Of All Shaving Razors" and, to be honest, that's not far from the truth.
It really is quite something!
proxy.php

For my £12.45 I got the shavette with a pouch and 20 Personna injector blades.
proxy.php

So for the money, obviously this is no Feather AC, and there was a small plating fault at the end of the head but otherwise this is very well made and it feels great in the hand. The scales are thick plastic/resin and the whole thing has a good weight to it.
proxy.php

And it does look pretty great eh?

The injector blade snaps into tabs in the head (a bit like the Cobra) which slides out on a tension spring for blade loading:
proxy.php

proxy.php

The tabs which hold the blade are perfectly sized for the modern Personna (and presumably Chick) injector blades, but are unfortunately a bit too long for some of the vintage blades, which narrows down the fun... but not much [emoji3]

And the shave is superb.
This design has been very well thought out - we all know that shavettes aren't really anything like real straights don't we?

But because of the shape, weight and balance of the Coolcut 9 it truly does feel like a 6/8 quarter hollow with a square point.
This is the only shavette I've ever used which genuinely feels like a real straight - honestly!
proxy.php

The sides of the head are slightly convex and the blade exposure is quite small (and for no real reason tapers towards the heel) but in the face this feels just like a quarter hollow:
proxy.php

That square point is good news and bad news all at once - as with real straights, the square point is excellent for fine work around the nostrils etc but you have to be very mindful not to poke yourself with it.
The French point style of Feather AC is a lot more relaxed, but with this, like the Sextoblade you can't afford to have a lapse in concentration [emoji3]

And obviously in terms of sheer class the Coolcut 9 can't compete with Feather AC, but in terms of design, comfort and price as well as face feel and balance this is an incredible razor.
It's on a par with my CJB, and that's really saying something!

It kind of looks very much like the Monsieur Charles made by Personna a while back. I considered getting it but decided on the Hess EZ Shave instead because it could use the Weck and Personna injector blades (and I modified the injector insert to be able to use a Feather). I have not seen one up close much less shaved with one. With a Sextoblade, Hess, and Feather DX, I'm not looking at other replacable blade straights.

You're right - the Coolcut 9 really does look like a rebranded Monsieur Charles, right down to the elongated hexagon on the tang.
I currently have Sextoblades, AC SS and CJB so the Coolcut 9 fills the standard injector niche very nicely.

The as with the Sextoblade and Feather AC, the rigid blade makes for some very good shaving.
And as with the Sextoblade (but not so much the Artist Club) the injector blade in the Coolcut 9 gives an extremely comfortable and irritation free shave.

I know they are out of production and even ebay rarely has them now, but you should keep an eye out for the Hess EZY Shave 1010. Feels like a real straight razor, takes a weck/persona blade by default and comes with two inserts for an injector blade which can easily be modified for a Feather AC blade. I remember posting a picture of mine in your other thread. In fact, I might have also posted a picture of the one I put on wood scales.

You will not be disappointed.

For sure I am on the lookout for a Hess EZY Shave now!
Your rescaled ones look great.
Have you tried the IBC yet? That takes DE, injector and Artist Club!

For me the Sextoblade is still the greatest shave of them all but this Coolcut 9 is up there with it - it just feels so good in the hand.

Have you tried the IBC yet? That takes DE, injector and Artist Club!

I thought very long on that one, but with a folding DX in hand, I couldn't convince myself to get one. Frankly, that large button on the side was a concern even though reviewers on this board said it does not affect shaving. The Mongoose, I got on the list twice and passed both times when my name came up, and the Cobra just had too many parts. As far as T shape safety razors go, I guess my acquisition of the Weck Surgical Prep (Milady?) put me in a position where I didn't feel I had to jump for a Mongoose or Cobra.

There are a couple of other T razors in the works right now that looks better than a Mongoose, but none have gone into production yet - Bullgoose got one in late design stage, ATT is seriously working on the concept, and Falcon F1 actually produced prototypes before disappearing. I was going to wait.

I thought very long on that one, but with a folding DX in hand, I couldn't convince myself to get one. Frankly, that large button on the side was a concern even though reviewers on this board said it does not affect shaving. The Mongoose, I got on the list twice and passed both times when my name came up, and the Cobra just had too many parts. As far as T shape safety razors go, I guess my acquisition of the Weck Surgical Prep (Milady?) put me in a position where I didn't feel I had to jump for a Mongoose or Cobra.

There are a couple of other T razors in the works right now that looks better than a Mongoose, but none have gone into production yet - Bullgoose got one in late design stage, ATT is seriously working on the concept, and Falcon F1 actually produced prototypes before disappearing. I was going to wait.
I have a Weck Open Comb and a Cobra too - didn't like the Mongoose as much, but the Cobra is for me absolutely awesome.

And what's prompted me to post here is that the Coolcut 9 really seems to hold its own with these other majestic razors.
Any chance you could post a link to where you bought it? I did a quick web search and couldn't find it anywhere.
For sure:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181944509194

With the 20 blades it's an excellent deal [emoji3]

Second shave with the Coolcut 9 this morning:
proxy.php

I absolutely love this razor - the weight and balance plus the rigid injector blade make it so so good!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Looks like a good system. I will stick with my half DE blade shavettes, but only because the blades are SOOOOO much cheaper. Otherwise, I like the looks of the Coolcut. Injector blades are a lot stiffer and naturally have the potential to shave better.

Is the razor made from stainless steel like PARKER SR1
It's clearly plated... I am not even sure the SR1 is really stainless steel.

@mjclarck i bite the bullet and ordered one. The weight seems right and i have a nice stock of injector blades... i skipped on the Monsieur charles because they were too expensive including shipping. Now i have no excuse.

Looks very cool! Injector blades worry me, though. It looks like a nasty way to have a razor blade jammed into your thumb.

I ordered one, too. Got it from Amazon uk, same price but I've paid extra for quicker delivery as I'm only in the uk for a few days.

Got one off of the Bay that came in Friday. Tried it out and love it. It's not going to replace my straights but to switch it up a little, this is great. I love the weight to it, the heft makes it feel like an actual straight, not like the other half DE blade shavette that I have kicking around. I love my straights but I think that this will be a close second.

Top Bottom