What's new

Newbie Questions

Being a relative "newbie" to wet-shaving and definitely a newbie to Badger & Blade I have several questions. I have just started using a pre-shave oil. What is the correct way to use it? Should my face be wet and hydrated? Secondly, I have heard different ways of cleaning my razor after shaving. What is the correct and best way? Finally, what are the best double-edge blades available? Thanks for your time and attention to these questions. I'm glad that I came across Badger&Blade! Thanks again.

Buckeye 71

Okay... here goes...

First, welcome to the site. I don't know exactly how to apply oil; I always wet my face and put it on next, but I'm sure someone will probably correct that later. hehe The best method I've found for cleaning a razor is simply to give it a good rinse after shaving and occasionally scrub it with an old toothbrush (whenever you don't like the film on it). The best blades available? Ask ten guys, you'll get ten answers. The best solution is to get a sampler pack and find out for yourself because it really is different for everyone.

Okay... here goes...

First, welcome to the site. I don't know exactly how to apply oil; I always wet my face and put it on next, but I'm sure someone will probably correct that later. hehe The best method I've found for cleaning a razor is simply to give it a good rinse after shaving and occasionally scrub it with an old toothbrush (whenever you don't like the film on it). The best blades available? Ask ten guys, you'll get ten answers. The best solution is to get a sampler pack and find out for yourself because it really is different for everyone.

+1 not much I can add...Welcome to B&B!!! As for applying oil, and the "best blade"...you'll get many opinions. Get the sampler pack of blades from westcoastshaving.com You will find the derbys, crystals, and IP's to be all around good blades. After some time and practice, you can try some of the sharper blades like feathers or astras, but I wouldn't touch these until you are 100% comfortable and confident in your technique.

Again, welcome!! Get ready for lots of opinions!:smile:

Welcome to B&B (haven't been here very long myself).

I ditto Smoke:
Get the sampler pack of blades from westcoastshaving.com

It'll keep you busy trying out different razor and blade combos for a while:001_smile.

If you do get the sampler pack, the wisdom around the forums here is to leave the Feather blades until you are pretty practiced with the DE (sharp!)

Yes, definitely get a sampler pack from West Coast Shaving and figure out which blades are best for you.

As for the pre-shave oil, I can offer you a few pieces of advice, as I was an oil devotee for many moons. Definitely apply it when your face is wet...preferably after or during a hot shower. Don't rinse it off when you're ready for lathering, just lather over it. My next piece of advice is twofold. Many guys on the board will tell you that you don't need pre-shave oil...there is SOME truth to this. However, I found it to be extremely helpful in the first few months while I was honing my technique. That said, once you get your technique down, try to ween yourself off of the oil as it really won't add that much to your shave (besides extra expense). If you find that you love oil and simply can't live without it, try extra virgin olive oil as a preshave...it works surprisingly well and will leave your skin nice and soft. Plus, it is MUCH cheaper than any pre-shave oil that you will find in stores or on the web. The vitamin E will also help heal any razor burn you encounter.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents. Hope it helps and welcome!

Welcome to B&B! I agree with everyone else. Definitely get the sampler pack in order to choose the blade that is best for you. Just make sure to use one brand of blade for a long enough time to know if you really like it or not. Anyway, good luck with your shaves.

Welcome to B&B!! To add on to the olive oil topic, I add extra virgin olive oil and a drop of clove oil to my shave cream.

Thanks to all who responded to my Newbie questions. I appreciate your input and suggestions. Also, thanks for making me feel welcomed. The prompt responses were a pleasant surprise. I guess that I have finally found a site that is both helpful and entertaining. Thanks again for your assistance.

Buckeye 71

Okay... here goes...

Welcome to B&B

perfect advice from limecat
are you okay limecat?

Okay... here goes...

The best blades available? Ask ten guys, you'll get ten answers. The best solution is to get a sampler pack and find out for yourself because it really is different for everyone.

I hereby ask the mods to include this line in the "welcome to Badger and Blade" email. It's an appropriate, honest question for anyone to ask, but the Cat in the Hat has provided a most succinct, accurate answer for all newbies.

And welcome to Badger and Blade, buckeye71! I look forward to your contributions to this rapidly-growing community.

Jesse

I'm not sure. There seem to be a large number of people agreeing with what I say recently... :lol:

Ah, you're just hustling to get 4000 posts. We know you're slacking and post-whoring until you get there. Then you'll be as intractable and incorrigible as ever... :smile:

Jesse

Ah, you're just hustling to get 4000 posts. We know you're slacking and post-whoring until you get there. Then you'll be as intractable and incorrigible as ever... :smile:

Jesse

I'm actually quite proud of what percentage of the last thousand posts has provided useful information; I think it's somewhere around 40%. Compared to the usual 5%, that's pretty good. :biggrin:

Pre shave oil is tricky as it can muck up your brush quite easily. Make sure to clean your brush with borax and vinegar to get the buildup out. Be careful as it can ruin your brush quite easily and quickly. As for blades, check out the sample pack at westcoastshaving.com

As for wet face or not, I suggest splashing all over with hot water throughout the shave. To rinse the razor, just rinse and shake. If you want, take out the blade and give it a little rinse too.

Thanks to all who responded to my Newbie questions. I appreciate your input and suggestions. Also, thanks for making me feel welcomed. The prompt responses were a pleasant surprise. I guess that I have finally found a site that is both helpful and entertaining. Thanks again for your assistance.

Buckeye 71

I couldn't agree more. The gents here are great.

Welcome

Top Bottom