What's new

Custom Straight Razor Ratings....

The score is and average of all the points. If you add them all up and divide by the number of categories you get the % grade.

later,
R

Still not making sense to me. Last place adds up to 52, or 52/90 = 57.8% and next to last place is 50, or 50/90 = 55.6%

I think last place did better than next to last. Heck.

EDIT: I just added them all up because I have nothing better to do, and I guess it's just those first (last?) two. Unless I goofed.

Still not making sense to me. Last place adds up to 52, or 52/90 = 57.8% and next to last place is 50, or 50/90 = 55.6%

I think last place did better than next to last. Heck.

EDIT: I just added them all up because I have nothing better to do, and I guess it's just those first (last?) two. Unless I goofed.

You are right. I did the last one of the last ones and that is correct.

R:ohmy:

I am not concerned about the numbers. I really enjoyed the thoughts and being able to look at all the custom work in one post.

Yikes - my excel sheet was off - good catch. It's been fixed.
Can't you do anything right?

proxy.php

:wink:...:smile:... :lol:...:smile: ...:wink:

Joe Chandler - That is the best response to honest constructive criticism I have heard in a long time. I am sure many of us engage in hobbies and crafts for the passion that it brings out in us. Few early efforts are tremendous, but the giving and taking of well thought out, objective criticism, is the hallmark of craftsmanship.

I wish you the best.

Jonathan Strange

I remember reading that before. It had much to do with why I eventually went with Tim Zowada. If you read the notes the only things he could knock with Tim's work were opinion and not craftsmanship.

I admit to ignorance to what exactly the categories definition mean.

And how things like master grind were observed/identified. Thx

This needs to be done again.

All custom makers, send me razors that I will critique and report back

I know you were teasing and all Doc, but I would actually love for you to have that opportunity! I mean why the heck not? You have handled, honed, used, repaired, and restored about every kind of razor out there! I think you would make an excellent judge for such a thing!

Great read. I would concur about Doc having the prerequisite skill and knowledge base to do an updated version of this comparison. Interestingly I still think that Bill Ellis has the most beautiful razors I have seen to date, although for a $1k+ razor I'm not sure that I could bring myself to shave with it.

Also appreciated this article when first came across it, so thx for the bump and initial review as is a great article to pique interest in custom blades, and what to consider about them. Updating with some other makers including some hollowed blades would certainly be welcomed by many.

Last edited:
Top Bottom