What's new

March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month at B&B - Check Your 6!

The standard of care is to begin colonoscopies at age 50, or ten years earlier that the age that a first degree relative diagnosed colon cancer. For example, if one's father developed colon cancer at age 48, he/she would begin screening at 38.

Ok thanks great info.

My maternal Grandmother died of colon cancer when my mother was 12 years old. She was then passed around by her sisters to raise until she was married at 16 yrs of age. I was first checked at age 50 and polyps were removed. I have been checked every 5 yrs since then the last time being last month. Every time I have gone in they have removed polyps. I believe that if I did not get checked my wife and children would have suffered much emotional and financial hardship. Please do it for your family, you will only suffer for a short while but they will suffer for the rest of their lives.

Very well said and it makes a lot of sense. I did not think of the family members suffering.

I didn't know what the Check-6 label under members name stood for until now. What a great way to raise awareness. Being a man over 50 I have assumed the position several times for a check of my 6 and it's not a big deal. Well done for raising awareness.

I have already been diagnosed with cancer so the prostrate had to go.

Fortunately, the cancer went with it.

Afterwards, I had my colon checked and they removed a couple of precancerous polyps so I am back in 3 years.

Basically, with these kind of test, if you snooze you LOSE!!~!!!!!

Heading to the hospital in about 7 hours for my first ever. Turned 50 in September. Not exactly looking forward to it, but I'd rather go through this than chemo or radiation therapy any day.

Got back a few hours ago. Don't remember anything about the procedure.

Let's just say that it was a good thing I had this done when I did. The doctor wants me on the 3 year plan.

Let's just say that it was a good thing I had this done when I did. The doctor wants me on the 3 year plan.
Glad you got it done!
I was put on the 5 year plan. Good luck to you and spread the word!

Good for you, Wishoot. I've got to wait until 30 March to get my first ever... Eagerly Nervous...

Glad you are getting it done. Saved my life.

Glad you went when you did and good they are keeping an eye on you. Best wishes.

Glad you are getting it done. Saved my life.

Glad you went when you did and good they are keeping an eye on you. Best wishes.

Thank you Sir! Doctor was pretty sure it was pre- cancerous. I shudder to think what it could of evolved into if I put off this procedure.

That's the best news I've heard today. Another good man saved. :thumbup1:

This test is so routine at this point that there is not reason on God's green earth not to do it. I've told this before, but will give the nutshell version. My father died of colon cancer in 1991 at age 55. His mom died of it in 1943 at age 39. His aunt (mom's sister) died of it at age 47 in 1949. I had my first at age 30 and was clean as a whistle. I then put off my next for 12 years, and they found 4 polyps, all precancerous. One was 2.5 cm. I dodged a bullet. When I went back 2 years later in 2014, they found 2 more, both very small. As a result, I'm on the 3 year plan.

I was dealt a bad hand when it came to the genetics of colon cancer. Thing is, even if you get the genetic whammy, you can catch these things early. Colon cancer is totally preventable. All it takes is a willingness to swallow some pride, spend some time in the can the night before and get it done. Most guys are finished in a half hour or less. Oh, and the sedative for the procedure is fantastic. Trust me, colonoscopies are a heck of a lot more pleasant than vasectomies.

As a side note to this, while I was going through some boxes of my Dad's things last night, I found a letter. The address on the envelope was to my Dad "in case something happens to me." It was the letter that his Mom, my grandmother, wrote to him the night before she went to the hospital in hopes of saving her life. This was the 1940's, and there was no way they could have caught it in time. That said, the letter is heartbreaking. What can a mother say to her 7 year old son? We are lucky because it doesn't have to be like this anymore. No child should have to receive a letter like that when we have the means to prevent it.

Top Bottom