What's new

Ink PIF: At least 6 ink samples (maybe more)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Howdy, Everyone! I've acquired a number of ink in the past few months and figured I'd try to brighten (pun intended) someone's day by PIFing some ink samples. They're all inks that I've had a sample vial of but now own full bottles. I'll be giving away the following:

A 4-5ml sample of:
Noodler's Rome Burning
Noodler's 54th Massachusetts
Parker Quink Black
J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune
J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie

And a 3.5ml sample of:
J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor

I'll probably throw in a couple more ink samples by the end of this, but at the moment, I'll just leave it at the six that I've just mentioned.

I'll pick a winner randomly on March 9th or 10th. I'll give at least a 12 hour warning before I draw a winner.
All that I ask is that that you have at least 50 quality posts, state, "I'm in," (or something of the like), and share either a fond memory of a close family member, or tell me what color of ink you like to use the most.
Sorry, but CONUS only.

Last edited:
I'm in!
Nice pif and my fondest memory is of my grandfather and I hunting in West Virginia. We would walk in the woods and sit in our tree stands waiting for a deer to walk by. I still remember the smell of the cigarettes he used to smoke. Pall Mall red 100s. Sadly he has passed, but his memory lives on.

I'm in.
One of my fondest memories is of shoveling snow with my Dad. We lived up a long gravel driveway and Dad would drive on it all week to and from work. On Friday evening, we would chip away the ice. I remember working until dark and seeing the glowing end of my Dad's cigar floating in the darkness.

I'm in.

A favorite memory is of my grandma and having Christmas at her house. We had at least 12 people there between my family and my aunts, uncles, and cousins all crammed into a small home. We had some great food and homemade pies, and I remember the grandkids getting to hand out presents.

Not in, but a great PIF.

If I were going to be in, I would say that the color I like to use the most, almost exclusively, is blue-black. A lot if ths is probably due to my mother. I have fond memories of her excellent handwriting with a Sheaffer and Skrip blue-black - the bottle with the well under the cap. I recently acquired such a bottle in Peacock Blue at the thrift store for $2. The ink is still in good condition. She's 91 and I see a little shake in her writing, and she's currently using ballpoints, but still very neat and legible.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm adding a 4-5ml sample of Noodler's Apache Sunset. A couple more samples might make it in the PIF, but that has yet to be determined.

I'm in!!! I dont have too many inks, but love deep rich blue colors. I have quink blue and really enjoy its brightness. I'd love to try out a wider variety of colors!! Thanks so much for the generous offer!

My favorite family memory is Thanksgiving as a kid. My mom would cook the entire day before Thanksgiving and wake up early that morning to keep cooking. It was just my parents, my brother, and me, but my mom would make a huge turkey, all the sides (stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, yams, green bean casserole), and to top it off - a big brisket too. (of course that means leftovers for weeks) The smell in the morning would wake my brother and I up and we would go downstairs, have some breakfast and nap in front of the TV while the Macys parade was on. We would always make sure we were awake to see the snoopy balloon, the Rockettes, and Santa. Once Santa came, we knew it was time to eat!!! We would then chow down and go back to sleeping in front of the TV, this time with football on.

I'm in, thanks! Noodler's 5 O'Clock Shadow is my favorite ink.

One of my favorite memories is of sitting on my dad's shoulders at the parades when I was young. I still can feel his brush cut. It was usually just my brother, my dad and his dad. We loved the bands and Drum Corps and always watched for the National Guard as my dad was in for almost a decade. That was back in the day when most people new proper flag etiquette and observed it as the colors passed by.

I'm in. One of my fond memories are all the time spent with my dad to and from my sporting events growing up. I enjoyed spending the time discussing the game and how it went.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Alright, I think I'm going to add a 5-4ml sample of J. Herbin Lie de The, and a 4-5ml sample of Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri to top things off.

That's 9 ink samples in this PIF, now!

Noodler's Rome Burning
Noodler's 54th Massachusetts
Parker Quink Black
J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune
J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie
J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor
Noodler's Apache Sunset
J. Herbin Lie de The
Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri

If you don't want/want to try any of the inks that I have on the list, please, still sign up, but just let me know which inks you have no interest with. I will gladly keep an undesired ink for a future PIF.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I'm in.

My sister and brother in law invited me to a Christmas celebration 3 months ago. There I played ping pong with my great niece Sarah. At this event she defeated me in that ping pong game, but before that I won.

She is quite an athlete. And she is an excellent soccer player.

I'm NOT in - but this is a fantastic PIF, some beautiful colors in there!

Here is a good memory of mine anyway-
When I was a small child in Iowa, I was at my Grandpa's farm, and I was in the living room playing on a sleeping bag. Well, I crawled all the way to the bottom of it to "hide". My grandfather came in, and picked up the sleeping bag, so I asked him to "Carry me like a sack of potatoes!". He started carrying the sleeping bag around the house- this became a game where he carried me into a room, and I would try to guess which room we were in! GREAT fun at 5 years old!!! After that, Grauss-pop and Grauss-Mom then would occasionally call me a nickname of "Tato" after the potato sack game!

I'm in! My wife and I both are in this hobby together and we enjoy trying different inks. I haven't used any of these.

My fondest memories are of my grandpa as well. He was legally blind and could only see about 2 feet in front of him. There home in southern Utah looked over a neighbor's horse pasture. And every night we would sit out on his patio watching the sunset, while I would look through the binoculars and tell him what the horses were doing, and describe the sunset to him. I loved every moment I had with that man, and I learned so much from him!

I'm not in, but so far my favorite ink is Noodler's Rome Burning. I am not in love with the color, but it flows perfectly in my current every day writer.

Great PIF, way to keep B&B awesome!

I'm in. Lately, I've been enjoying plain old Skrip blue.

About the best memories I have of dad were hunting deer in Ohio. I used a muzzle-loader, and we'd go to the woods and sit in the snow.

Never got a thing, but it was a pleasant way to spend a day.

Top Bottom