What's new

Dueling pistols

Since swords have become kind of a thing of the past, most of the MS-13 and 18th street guys in my neighborhood have come to prefer dueling pistols to settle their disagreements.

Some prefer percussion, others flintlocks. I prefer percussion.

Do you guys have your seconds fire at each other perpendicular to the duel? I'd rather have mine handy with a bag valve mask and a thing of quickclot.

ETA: Actually, an occlusive bandage to handle a sucking chest wound would be pretty useful as well.

proxy.php

I still prefer swords to pistols. My go-to is an Italian swept-hilt rapier.

Of course, not everyone is so civilized. Under such circumstances, I prefer a percussion pistol. A primer is still technically a percussion cap, right? :001_smile

BTW, nice set. Do you have the history on them?

As a matter of fact, I do know the history of these.

They were used by Andrew Jackson in his eighth duel (of a total of 14). I suppose it's not a spoiler to say now that he survived. Anyway, Andrew was shaving with his pet badger Spanky one brisk Virginia February morning when a house-guest of his, General Joshua Milton Blahyi, bumped his elbow, causing the badger to bite Andrew on the ear. Andrew shaved with a live badger... it's softer and the oils help the neck fur to hold more water.

According to the French dueling code, two military gentlemen have the option of settling a dispute like this with an apology, but the apology-issuer then loses his gentlemanly status and has to "give the wall" to the other from that day forward. General Blahyi was definitely not inclined to give up his status, so he told Andrew that badgers don't bite that hard, and he was being kind of a ***** to cry about it. "Walk it off, Andy."

General Jackson could not let this insult stand. He had just been up to his elbows in human blood during the Battle of Horseshoe Bend where he completely broke the backs of the "Red Stick" Creek Indians of northern Alabama who had been whipped up in an insurgency led by Tecumseh the year prior.

French dueling code doesn't cover an insult following an injury, it only codifies an injury following an insult. In any case, Andrew offered Blahyi sabers, which Blahyi refused, since he was retired. Their seconds negotiated pistols at ten paces, but both must use unfamiliar pistols. These were borrowed from a visiting Belgian dignitary who remains unnamed.

At ten paces, the Generals turned and fired. Blahyi fired into the ground because he thought the whole thing was stupid. Jackson took aim and fired, but missed. Their honors thus having been defended, they went their separate ways.

The pistols were valued at $7,500 in 2003.

As a matter of fact, I do know the history of these.

They were used by Andrew Jackson in his eighth duel (of a total of 14). I suppose it's not a spoiler to say now that he survived. Anyway, Andrew was shaving with his pet badger Spanky one brisk Virginia February morning when a house-guest of his, General Joshua Milton Blahyi, bumped his elbow, causing the badger to bite Andrew on the ear. Andrew shaved with a live badger... it's softer and the oils help the neck fur to hold more water.

According to the French dueling code, two military gentlemen have the option of settling a dispute like this with an apology, but the apology-issuer then loses his gentlemanly status and has to "give the wall" to the other from that day forward. General Blahyi was definitely not inclined to give up his status, so he told Andrew that badgers don't bite that hard, and he was being kind of a ***** to cry about it. "Walk it off, Andy."

General Jackson could not let this insult stand. He had just been up to his elbows in human blood during the Battle of Horseshoe Bend where he completely broke the backs of the "Red Stick" Creek Indians of northern Alabama who had been whipped up in an insurgency led by Tecumseh the year prior.

French dueling code doesn't cover an insult following an injury, it only codifies an injury following an insult. In any case, Andrew offered Blahyi sabers, which Blahyi refused, since he was retired. Their seconds negotiated pistols at ten paces, but both must use unfamiliar pistols. These were borrowed from a visiting Belgian dignitary who remains unnamed.

At ten paces, the Generals turned and fired. Blahyi fired into the ground because he thought the whole thing was stupid. Jackson took aim and fired, but missed. Their honors thus having been defended, they went their separate ways.
As a fiction short story it is great... comparable to maupassant, garcia marquez
As a non-fiction anecdote... Ill keep my opinion to myself :lol:

They are by far the coolest things ive seen all week.

And i saw a duck chasing a dog the other day too, so thats saying something.

Please. Why don't you resolve your disputes like real men....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom