What's new

New to B&B -- hoping to change the world one DE at a time....

Greetings,

Just a little note to introduce myself to this wonderful community. I've made the DE plunge, and this site has been a throve of information. While I signed up recently, I've been lurking here for a while. It all started when my electric shaver died, and I though: Surely, there's got to be a better way to shave than with this electric irritating device... so I got a multi-blade thingie. My first issue was the stench of the shaving cream in a can, which gave me a headache later in the day. Then I saw the price of the blades, how little they lasted, and the incredible waste this was for the environment. Google to the rescue and I have found you guys! Already, SMOKE has kindly and generously offered to send me a Tech--can't wait to try it! And this as well as the many posts I've read says a lot about this giving community.

Ultimately, once I (more or less) master wet shaving, I have a greater plan. Converting masses of men (and women) to this more ecological and effective shaving method. I teach at the university, and I am planing to distribute shaving kits to my freshmen. So, this summer I'm planing to look our for inexpensive vintage newbie shavers, smooth and cheap blades, and maybe even some cheap brush and cream/soaps to give out. My plan is to tell people: If you like it, keep the set. If you don't, return it to me and I'll hand it to someone else. So, if anyone has advice about putting together cheap kits with newbie-friendly shavers, blades, and creams, do let me know.

Cheers, and thank you all for this great community!

:001_smile

Welcome to B&B. That sure is a mighty tall ambition you have there and I wish you lots of luck. Please do let us know how it is going.
I ma be able to toss a few razors your way once you get closer to your plan.
Enjoy!!!

Hey, welcome. I like your plan.

My suggestion is to perhaps include a short, bullet list of resources (web links) for how to use their new gear when you hand it out. Having people "get it" is massive for improving uptake ratios. (See Skype or iPod).

Power to your mission, I too came here for what were primarily ecological reasons.

Cheers man.

Hi zenon,
Welcome to a fellow ex-lurker! With the cost of everything going up something had to go and what a way to help the environment (plus hating the terrible shaves from disposable cartridges & terrible smelling gloop in a can I've been experiencing for years) I took the plunge. While I'm still waiting for the rest of my gear to come, I proposed a write up in our base paper to expose this type of shaving to the troops and with Father's Day coming up what a great gift for all them dads out there to get from their loved ones. Anyway the writeup's name is The return of the great shave.
Saving money, the environment and your skin in one single stroke - all pun intended.
I'll let you know when it's posted if it's posted!

Greetings,
[...]

Ultimately, once I (more or less) master wet shaving, I have a greater plan. Converting masses of men (and women) to this more ecological and effective shaving method. I teach at the university, and I am planing to distribute shaving kits to my freshmen. So, this summer I'm planing to look our for inexpensive vintage newbie shavers, smooth and cheap blades, and maybe even some cheap brush and cream/soaps to give out. My plan is to tell people: If you like it, keep the set. If you don't, return it to me and I'll hand it to someone else. So, if anyone has advice about putting together cheap kits with newbie-friendly shavers, blades, and creams, do let me know.

Cheers, and thank you all for this great community!

:001_smile

Zenon, that's a great idea. How many students do you teach? I also work in a University but as a part of the technical support staff.

Hi zenon,
[...] I proposed a write up in our base paper to expose this type of shaving to the troops and with Father's Day coming up what a great gift for all them dads out there to get from their loved ones. Anyway the writeup's name is The return of the great shave.
Saving money, the environment and your skin in one single stroke - all pun intended.
I'll let you know when it's posted if it's posted!

TheChebb, I would definitely be interested in the article. Are you going to do a follow-up for next Mother's Day titled, "Mothers - Changing the World, One Diaper at a time?" :)

Thank you all for the welcome.

I do plan on giving a collection of info with those kits; soon, I will be asking you guys for advice on the easiest How To resources, and suggestions about an inexpensive starte kit.

I'd love to read THECHEB's "Return of The Great Shave", too.

As far as my students, lately I teach about seventy students a year. (I used to teach 225 a year; it was a nightmare.)

Welcome aboard. I like the idea of providing guys with a green method of shaving.

I often tell this story appropos of the marketing of the Mach 3 and other expensive cartridge razors:

I never believed the hype of the three or four blades being better than one. It's all Madison Avenue. When Mary Wells of Wells Rich Green advertising fame asked to see a demonstration of the prototype of Alka Seltzer, for which she had won the ad account, a white coated lab guy dropped a tablet into a glass of water..."plop, fizz."

"Hmm," she wondered, "would it hurt someone if they took two?" The lab guys looked at one another quizzically and huddled for a moment. "No, we don't think so," was the concensus. "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz." Mary Wells doubled their sales before the product hit the market. Do you want to be a victim of Madison Avenue?

It might be an eye-opener for your students when proposing the other attributes of DE's.

Best regards,

Jay

Top Bottom