What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

After wearing Emerald Spice for a few hours now, I have to say I do like the subtle scent that is left on my face at mid-day. I doubt it still has any projection left, but overall it's pretty nice.

I'm happy to hear that you like it!

ZergoZatgai has a thread where he describes something he called Orange Spice. It's a mix of (roughly) 1 part Florida Water and 2 parts Old spice. It's amazing how strong Florida Water is as a scent, it really takes a lot of spice to be noticeable. I've mixed some witch hazel in with mine, and it's now a regular go-to AS for me.

ZergoZatgai has a thread where he describes something he called Orange Spice. It's a mix of (roughly) 1 part Florida Water and 2 parts Old spice. It's amazing how strong Florida Water is as a scent, it really takes a lot of spice to be noticeable. I've mixed some witch hazel in with mine, and it's now a regular go-to AS for me.

That sounds nice. I'll have to try this out once my Florida Water arrives.

I have tinkered with my Clubman/Vitos Aftershaving blend and here is where it stands now:
2 parts Pinaud Clubman
1 part Vitos aftershaving.

Oh yeah.

I am also working on a blend of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and Stephan Lilac. I've tried it at 50/50 and its OK; now I want to see what happens if I emphasise one and then the other. Stay tuned.

Hoping to bump this up to get some more recipies to try.

Looking at Appleton Barber Supply - but was wondering if there is another option (B&B vendor) that sells Masters, Osage Rub, Gabels and the Clubman products for decent price. Appleton's is great for price - but shipping cost is about 1/2 of what I was going to order, but it is liquid weight.

I tried a mixture of 2 parts Fine American Blend and 1 part English Leather (with a bit of witch hazel for toning). I really liked the smell (the idea was to add leather to the barbershop scent of AB). English Leather is particularly potent so a little dab 'll do you.

Hoping to bump this up to get some more recipies to try.

Looking at Appleton Barber Supply - but was wondering if there is another option (B&B vendor) that sells Masters, Osage Rub, Gabels and the Clubman products for decent price. Appleton's is great for price - but shipping cost is about 1/2 of what I was going to order, but it is liquid weight.

If you want Masters, Jeris, Gabels and Clubman, Appleton's is your best bet, in my opinion. Especially if you're looking for some of the discontinued Masters aftershaves, since they still seem to have some stock. And they also have the full Stephan line. What they don't stock is Lustray if you had any interest in that. Atlanta Barber & Beauty Supply does have Lustray and a few things that Appleton doesn't stock. But it seems they may have gotten out of the Masters market, at least according to their website.

I was going to write that Appleton's shipping isn't too bad if you put together a large enough order. But I see now that they recently raised the shipping cost to $13 for orders under $95, and $6 over. I guess I can't blame them too much. My last order weighed at least 25 pounds and they shipped it for $5. I think the rate used to be $10 for orders under $85.

If you want Masters, Jeris, Gabels and Clubman, Appleton's is your best bet, in my opinion. Especially if you're looking for some of the discontinued Masters aftershaves, since they still seem to have some stock. And they also have the full Stephan line. What they don't stock is Lustray if you had any interest in that. Atlanta Barber & Beauty Supply does have Lustray and a few things that Appleton doesn't stock. But it seems they may have gotten out of the Masters market, at least according to their website.

I was going to write that Appleton's shipping isn't too bad if you put together a large enough order. But I see now that they recently raised the shipping cost to $13 for orders under $95, and $6 over. I guess I can't blame them too much. My last order weighed at least 25 pounds and they shipped it for $5. I think the rate used to be $10 for orders under $85.
Thank you Daniel for the comments and the alternate source. Really want to mix up a few of the Bootlegger recipes here (Bay Rum, Artic Freeze, Lime Bay Rum, El Dorado).

Lisko Beauty & Barber Supply. I haven't looked at what all they carry to see if they have everything you're looking for, but they have the best shipping I've found of the Specialty barber places. I ordered a bottle of Stephen's Alpine and. Bottle of Clubman shampoo and shipping was $3.

Pete, Walgreens online actually has fairly decent prices for Pinaud Clubman products, and shipping is free over $35. They have Aqua Velva Ice Sport and Florida Water too, decent prices for Thayer's witch hazel, and often have 2-for-1 sales on Nivea balms.

Superior 70 can be a challenge to find. I got mine online at cubanfoodmarket.com; they have the bay rum and mentholated. They are also a good source for Crusellas colognes, and I can highly recommend the Varon Dandy Eau De Toilette available ther
e. Shipping is a flat $9.99 so it makes sense to put together a large order (and email them for availability first, since they don't backorder).

Other barber supply sources that look interesting but I've not yet tried are Williamsport Barber Supply and Texas Barber Supply. And of course there are all the fine smaller vendors we appreciate like Maggard Razors, italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, and many others.

Thank you Daniel - I will check out Walgreens online.

I had my parents pick up Superior 70 directly at Walgreens near Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Tried to get them to ship it to local store here - they could not do it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got my Superior 70 off the bay for $8.25 with free shipping. Was wrapped in, plastic, no leaks.

Which reminds me- time to make Bootleggers Bay Rum!

AA

I went out and was able to get from Lisko a large 160z Clubman (give some to Dad), Masters Bay Rum 15oz, Citrus Musk 12oz and Masters Challenge 15oz - so that should allow me to complete the Bootlegger Bay Rum and the Bootlegger Lime Bay Rum mixes. The Challenge is supposedly like a more refined smelling Pinaud Special Reserve - so will give that a shot.

Should have probably just gone to Appleton's and bit the bullet on the shipping and picked up some Osage Rub, some more VIBR in big bottle and some Iceland Breeze and discontinued Focus and some others as well.

Thank you guys for the recommendations. Love this site for the information, the willingness to share and the enabling :001_smile.

Heading down to Miami/Ft Lauderdale in April - will look to pick up some of the scents mentioned that have a tobacco scent.

Last edited:
My only "Badger Blend" concoction was based on "Bootlegger's Bay Rum" I couldn't find any Superior 70 BR for a long time but I had some Stephans BR, Masters BR, and Pinaud Virgin Island BR. I did a three-way blend of those. I named it "Rum Runner's" and even came up with a label that I never used.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thinking about adding Tabac EdC to the Bootlegger's Bay Rum to give it a Cuban vibe ala Aproxo or Bootlegger Perfecto ...

And I have about five Crusellas. Just no bottles! and oddly, don't seem to NEED another AS at the moment ...

AA

Top Bottom