What's new

I was just given a SPQR valet butler with chair - need help.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-50-spqr-italy-wardrobe-36647297

The above link is what it looks like.

I went to my father-in-laws home tonight and he was cleaning out a closet. He had a 1950's valet way in the back and said he never uses it so would I want it. Almost knocked him over getting it out of the closet!

It's in good condtion but it is missing one part. Can any of you help me identify it? There is a recessed channel along the top where I think pants are placed over it. There appears to have been some type of ridged strip in it at one time that is now missing.

Here is a picture I found online of what I think is missing? Was it used a brush for lint? Did it just "grip" the pants so they would not slide off?

Does anyone have a valet? What is this missing part? What was it for? How can I replicate it?

Lets see pics of your valets!

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is the white strip rubber? Maybe you aren't missing anything- the rubber may make it harder for pants to slip off.

Is the white strip rubber? Maybe you aren't missing anything- the rubber may make it harder for pants to slip off.

I do not know what was there because it is missing. The picture above is what I think was there at one time. I would like to find a replacement.

Your assessment seems to be correct. Without having some other 'rail' below you wouldn't have enough height to lay over a pair of slacks. (Unless your assembly is quite a bit taller than it seems.) So, if you were undressing, suit coat would be hung first, then your slacks, add the tie if you don't have another system for it and your shirt, socks, and undies are ready for the cleaners. Odds of pockets and tie stick or cuff links and coin in the bowl.

Yep, that strip is to keep pants from slipping. Wool pants are slippery as heck. Try hanging a pair on a plastic hanger.
You'll probably have to make your own replacement, and to be honest i'm not sure what material to use. A ribbed rubber?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You can find clothes hangers with the same sort of rubber strip in the bottom part for hanging pants on. Perhaps one could take the rubber strip out of a hanger and put it into the valet?

You can find clothes hangers with the same sort of rubber strip in the bottom part for hanging pants on. Perhaps one could take the rubber strip out of a hanger and put it into the valet?

Good idea! Thank you.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
A strip of felt may work, too. I have a couple of "better" suit hangers, and the bar where the pants go are covered with a felt like material, also avoiding the slipping off.

Top Bottom