What's new

Smoker for under 300?

The guru or any other temp control device makes these things even more set it and forget it! We use ours all the time to run long cooks overnight so we don't have to get up every couple hours and check on them. We can dial in the temp that we want to maintain and there is a temp probe in the pit, when it starts to drop, the fan kicks on to blow air over the coals and increase the temp. The fan is the only source of air coming into the pit so it's very easy to maintain a set point.

I do quite a bit of smoking in my Weber kettle. It's rock solid at holding 220° for hours. But it only fits a couple of racks or a single brisket. So I built an "adapter" to make it into a quasi-Smokey Mountain when I want to smoke enough for a party. It might have cost $30 and 1/2 an hour of time. A piece of sheet metal, some sheet metal screws, a few brackets, and extra Weber rack and a couple of handles -- all from Home Depot.

It works great. I made it originally for my daughter's graduation a couple of years ago -- I had about 25 people. I made a few racks of ribs, a 8 lb brisket, and some sausage. It's gotten a decent amount of use since then and it's holding up well.

Yeah, it's flimsy and can't maintain temperature in colder weather, but you can't beat it for the price, especially if you already have a Kettle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It may border on heresy for many, but I decided recently to purchase a propane smoker after many years of using an upright charcoal/wood smoker like many pictured here. For about $200, I picked up a Masterbuilt extra wide that has a ton of room. I've run several briskets, ribs, and sausages through it with great results. It is rock solid simple to hold a steady 225 degrees all day long and refilling the smoker box and water tray is easy without having to open up the upper smoke box.

Here's a few pics...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers!

A propane smoker isn't heresy to me. There are many advantages. The folks over at the BBQ Brethren forum might disagree though. :)

A propane smoker isn't heresy to me. There are many advantages. The folks over at the BBQ Brethren forum might disagree though. :)

Haha I'm a Brethren and BBQ is BBQ. Though you may get a bit of :a30: haha. There are a ton of advantages to propane, there are also some disadvantages. It really is all in what works for you! There are many different ways to achieve what the end product is, just don't go with liquid smoke in a crock pot, that sir is pot roast and not BBQ.

That's funny! This thread lead me to that site, and specifically this thread on smoking with a weber kettle.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246
Haha I'm a Brethren and BBQ is BBQ. Though you may get a bit of :a30: haha. There are a ton of advantages to propane, there are also some disadvantages. It really is all in what works for you! There are many different ways to achieve what the end product is, just don't go with liquid smoke in a crock pot, that sir is pot roast and not BBQ.

Nothing wrong with propane at all. I modified a burner from a turkey fyer and use it in a Yoder offset smoker. I place a cast iron pan on the burner and use it for wood chunks. Smokes as good as if I was using logs and coals.

That is essentially the same setup in my propane smoker. It's very efficient on the propane as well.

Got nothing against propane either (my Weber Genesis will be buried with me) but fancy charcoal this go around.

I visited my local hardware store (if possible I give them my business over the big stores)
Looking and behold they have a 22" Weber Gold kettle - in the same green as my Genesis.
Impulse takes over other reasoning and SOLD!

Looking forward to trying to cook on charcoal again, and salivating over what I will smoke first.

Thanks to all for the advice - especially to those who contributed to my cheap thinking :)

Congrats!!! ....now all you have to do is buy a 22.5" Stacker with a charcoal ring and heat diffuser and you'll have an almost professional smoker :thumbup1:

(you can buy the rotisserie later :tongue_sm)

seriously now, there is whole bunch of gizmos out there, some useful some worthless (and all overpriced)
This thingy is very nice, i use it quite a bit:
proxy.php

(again, shop for best price.. http://vortexbbq.com/about/ )
Don't buy the Smokinator(?), you can do the same thing using one charcoal pan the kettle came with.

thanks guys.

Next purchases in order of need - lump charcoal, starter chimney, thermometer, firebricks.

I've never used firebricks either; the weber charcoal holders are nice though. If you have an ace hardware nearby they can order wicked good weekend warrior lump charcoal; I love the stuff. Holdout for memorial day sales on kingsford blue bags if you can; nice 2 for 1 deals to be had. Far as thermometers go; thermapen. I've been using the same one for the better part of a decade now.

Top Bottom