What's new

Respect and Courtesy

I saw the following post on the passing of Antonin Scalia.

It's sad when anyone passes, and a loss for all of us when a dedicated public servant dies.

I won't pretend to share his judicial philosophy, but by all accounts he was a decent guy in his personal life. It's not that well known, but Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsberg were besties. They didn't see eye to eye on cases, but they agreed to disagree and had a very long and very close friendship. We all need to elevate political and judicial discourse to the level they did, and engage in a frank and passionate exchange of ideas, without becoming shrill and intolerant. Scalia embodied that spirit, and although I disagreed with him many times, I respect the man and take a moment to mourn his passing.

There is a valuable lesson to be learned from what it contains. Justice Scalia and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg had completely different judicial and political philosophies. And yet they were good friends and even went hunting together. They often wrote opposing opinions intelligently discussing what they thought should be the rule of law without resorting to name-calling, disparaging statements, or lack of respect.

IMHO, B&B in general and the Barbershop, in particular, would be a better place if all of us would follow the example set by Justices Scalia and Ginsberg.

Good quote, Jim. You don't have to agree with someone to love and value them as a person and respect their integrity.

Good quote, Jim. You don't have to agree with someone to love and value them as a person and respect their integrity.
Agreed. Arrogance drives much of the disdain for others with alternate points of view. To think that I have the world/humans and its/their complexity figured out is very arrogant indeed.

My wife and I rarely feel the same on topics and I believe it is one of the reasons our relationship is so strong. Plus I think it would be boring as all get out if everyone thought the same all the time. Everyone is always trying to be right all the time. In my experience usually neither side is completely right, truth is usually near the middle of the competing points of view. I will say that of all the forums I have either lurked or been a part of this is one of the most courteous and respectful places to express points of view.

The whole point in these forums is to get other opinions. Sometimes there's someone that hates others opinions. That is the part I don't understand. Most people are decent, but some need to understand that when people say they are wrong or whatever, it's only because THAT person THINKS you are wrong. There was an awesome sign at work that said 'Take the critisism or take off Eh!'

Sadly we only have time to be polite to people we know. This is because once you get to know someone you humanize them. They stop being a caricature and become a real person with feelings and only a monster can say horrible things to a person they know well.

Deeply polarizing figures stir up deeply polarizing emotions. This just isn't the place to discuss those issues or this Justice.

It is always possible to disagree without being disagreeable, but too many members of society fail to appreciate the difference. And we're collectively the poorer for that.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Divide and conquer is being used against us ... It's time to take a deep breath and remember we're all Americans first.

well. For those of us here who actually ARE Americans. :lol:

AA

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The whole point in these forums is to get other opinions. Sometimes there's someone that hates others opinions. That is the part I don't understand. Most people are decent, but some need to understand that when people say they are wrong or whatever, it's only because THAT person THINKS you are wrong. There was an awesome sign at work that said 'Take the critisism or take off Eh!'

Our Gentleman, and friend, from Canuckistan said, "Take off EH!" I love it! :w00t:

Last edited:
The two justices had an advantage on us that made it easier for them to disagree and yet remain friends. They were face to face most of the past many years. The rest of us start out disadvantaged since we "know" each other via email and forums where much can be said in print that would never be said in person. So the responsibility lies with us to have a well oiled governor in our heads and at the ends of our fingertips that makes sure that what is typed is what we would have said in person and nothing more. In the event that we don't, our governor becomes the role of the moderators which - honestly - does not need to be exercised much here.

A lesson that should be shared with all candidates, regardless of party, currently vying for the presidency.
Any particular one(s) come to mind? :001_rolle

NOTICE: rhetorical question...not intended to start political discussion...for humor purposes only...:blink:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The political atmosphere has gone to hell in the last 30 years. If you don't agree with a position, you're either a commie or NAZI (depending on party) who wants to destroy the country. I remember the 80s when my very republican grandfather would talk politics (not from the pulpit, just passing time) with church members over coffee. Half worked at the Chevy plant, half at Ford. Most were democrats. They could have civil and rational discussions over their differences. I don't think that is possible with most anymore. Between 24 hour (sensationalism) news and talk radio, the only thing we hear is hate. Part of me thinks this is exactly what the real power brokers want- us at each other's throats, ignoring them.

I travel a lot for my job. I agree that it is extremely difficult to have a conversation with someone on the other side of the political spectrum without it becoming an episode for the Jerry Springer show.

What I have found out different parts of the country are more civilized that others. Where I live is a place that is very antisocial and rude. I won't even consider any sort of political discussion for fear of dealing with a "psychotic" individual. Other places I will based upon my views of the other's ability for a civil discussion.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I travel a lot for my job. I agree that it is extremely difficult to have a conversation with someone on the other side of the political spectrum without it becoming an episode for the Jerry Springer show.

What I have found out different parts of the country are more civilized that others. Where I live is a place that is very antisocial and rude. I won't even consider any sort of political discussion for fear of dealing with a "psychotic" individual. Other places I will based upon my views of the other's ability for a civil discussion.
It might be a city vs rural thing, too. I live in the DFW metroplex, and people can be downright rude. Get out in Texas Hill Country and it like a much nicer world. In the many times I have been to Fredericksburg, I have never heard a cross word there.

It might be a city vs rural thing, too. I live in the DFW metroplex, and people can be downright rude. Get out in Texas Hill Country and it like a much nicer world. In the many times I have been to Fredericksburg, I have never heard a cross word there.

I think it is more of a portion of a state not as much rural vs city. I find the Seattle, Chicago, Miami areas to be very rude and unfriendly. I find Salt Lake, Phoenix, KC, Minneapolis to be relatively friendly. Just to name a few areas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom