What's new

Water soluble pomade

Hello guys.
I've been wondering, which of the three do you prefer.
imperial pomade (hold strength 4), Lay rite super hold, or suavecito firme.

I have the Imperial, and for the life of me, this sad excuse does NOT hold anything to save its life.

So between the three, which would you say has given you rock hard hold? I would prefer people with really unmanageable wavy/curly hair reply.People with straight hair, please pass over this, you guys can style your hair with water.

Have used all three. Suavecito Firme has strongest hold by far. Most re-combable of the three in my opinion too.

Recently also got a tin of Reuzel Blue Strong Hold and thus far am very impressed.

Cheers,
JW

I have half a tub of Imperial I don't use anymore. For how I style it wasn't all that great and I have had better luck with waxes.

I use Suavecito regular the most. I have the barber size tub at home and the smaller tub at work. I also have a tub of Imperial fiber pomade at work. It holds more "crunchy" than Suavecito, and smells like watermelon bubblegum. Both are good, but the Imperial was more expensive and I like Suavecito better.

Hello guys.
I've been wondering, which of the three do you prefer.
imperial pomade (hold strength 4), Lay rite super hold, or suavecito firme.

I have the Imperial, and for the life of me, this sad excuse does NOT hold anything to save its life.

So between the three, which would you say has given you rock hard hold? I would prefer people with really unmanageable wavy/curly hair reply.People with straight hair, please pass over this, you guys can style your hair with water.

Uppercut Deluxe if you want max water soluble hold.

Lots of amazing water solulable pomades out there. I am usin my Dapper Lyfe almost exclusively right now as I love the hold and longevity. I use Imperial too, it's funny, as you scoop some Imperial out it is very thick and gives the impression that just a tiny bit is going to turn your hair into a helmet, but once you work it in, it almost turns into water it seems. It gives me a nice hold but I have thin short hair. Once I use it (if I use it all) I won't buy it again most likely.

Look up Crystal Lake Shear Revival. I just ordered that and rumor has it, it's incredible.

I typically prefer an oil-based pomade that I can re comb all day without my hair hardening up, but what I want a water-based pomade I use Bonafide Super Superior Hold. Fantastic product that is very easy to work with and has a nice clean citrus scent.

Layrite Cement is the strongest water-sol pomade I've found. Since it's matte, I sometimes mix it with something like Murrays or Royal Crown in order to get a bit of shine out of it.

I can't use oil based pomades. My scalp won't allow it. So, water solubles it is.

Suavecito Firme for me, of the 3 listed. Great hold, great shine and fantastic scent (in all of their products)

I find mediums are the best holds for me. Some are terrible, but some perform just as good as heavy holds, for my needs.

Suavecito Original
Layrite Original
Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer

Suavecito also has a "grooming spray" that you can spray on to your pomade treated hair. I prefer using it and Suavecito Original over using just the Firme, as it doesn't feel so heavy/crunchy but gives a strong hold on windy days with the same shine and scent.

Last edited:
I haven't used many pomades. Ruezel Red, Paul Mitchell Tea Tree, some other store bought pomades, and....Suavecito Firme. Suavecito Firme is by far my favorite. I have very thick and coarse hair and is about five to six inches on top. Suave-Firme holds it all day long. I have worn it on the crunchy side and I have blow dried it in to give it a more "natural" look. At about $10.00 for a four ounce tub...I find it VERY affordable also.

Lot of love for Suavecito Firme. Unfortunately it didn't hold for me. I liked the scent, but two hours of sweating left my hair looking like a dirty mop. The Layrite Cement however goes all day with no problem, and the scent is better IMO. And it's funny because none of the other Layrites impressed me. My barber introduced me to the Cement; my only complaint is that I wish it was cheaper.
That's the downfall of any water soluble pomade. If you are prone to sweating, the pomade just won't cut it. Hadn't heard of Layrite Cement. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Top Bottom