What's new

The Sprout-2016

My first tater crop. They probably could have went another week but I had time today and it finally wasnt raining on a weekend!! Yukon gold, reds and russian fingering.
proxy.php

We decided to expand our garden this year. Tilled half of the front lawn and stirred in the compost. Will let it sit for a few days then plant some summer vegetables - sweet potatoes, eggplant, maybe a watermelon. definitely some herbs. Our prime growing season is in the fall, so we should be set up with some more compost by then. We also relocated and expanded the compost pile.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We decided to expand our garden this year. Tilled half of the front lawn and stirred in the compost. Will let it sit for a few days then plant some summer vegetables - sweet potatoes, eggplant, maybe a watermelon. definitely some herbs. Our prime growing season is in the fall, so we should be set up with some more compost by then. We also relocated and expanded the compost pile.

I couldn't put a garden in the front...something about the neighborhood association wordage. The back yard may just get dug up though.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A critter stole my only red tomato last night. That just pissed me off. I haven't learned my lesson on picking them while they are yellow.

Went up to my sister-in-law's this morning and collected a whole bunch of cow manure. Brought it home and stirred it into the soil. We'll be ready to plant summer veggies soon!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Got some good lookin' stuff going on here on this thread.

Mine is not as good as a couple of years ago, but what we have got seems to be doing well. Haven't had corn in two years...guess I could have put it in a raised bed but it's getting a little late now.

The trash can 'taters are looking okay.

$IMG_0001.jpg

The squash, cukes, and 'maters in the "buckets" are doing all right.

$IMG_0004.jpg

We have some 'maters coming out. Aaron, I'll keep you posted on the insects and birds...nothing yet.

$IMG_0005.jpg

$IMG_0007.jpg

The stuff in the raised bed is also doing okay...we just got a radish out of it...even though it's getting a bit overgrown with grass...SWMBO is working on that.

$IMG_0008.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The green beans we planted just in regular ground seem to be trying. Don't know how they'll turn out yet. SWMBO is working on that also this weekend since it's not raining...right now.

$IMG_0012.jpg

As for how wet it is...SWMBO got the bright idea to try and mow the garden area yesterday. Guess what happened to that 600 pound mower...had to get the come along out to get it unstuck. :lol:

$IMG_0011.jpg

Two weeks ago there were snow flurries during an afternoon walk. Yesterday my max/min thermometer, mounted in the shade, topped out just shy of 36ºC/~98ºF, i think it's may be safe to put out tomatoes in the ground.

Planted 48 cells of tomato seeds April 6, thirteen varieties, we keep 24 plants the others go to family and neighbours. Moved the seedlings to 3" square pots earlier in the month where they take off. Moved those outside to harden off last weekend.

18 Amish Paste
1 Black Zebra
2 Cheeseman's
3 Paul Robson
3 Rose
2 Slava
2 Stefan's Gold
6 Stupice
2 Jaune Flamme
2 Brandywine
2 Box Car Willie
1 Japanese Black Trefele
1 Eva Purple Ball

The transplant

proxy.php

Today, 12" combination square thrown in for scale.

proxy.php

Checking out nursery's this weekend and picked up a new one to us to try.

proxy.php

dave

Last edited:
Dave, that chocolate scorpion would make great hot sauce.

That's what i'm hoping for! Have had good success with other infernos grown in pots, habeneros, ghosts and Trinidad Scorpions so as long as this is a fairly productive variety i should be set. October will be here all too soon, i'm going to avoid thinking about it.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Habs are still holding on.

$20160530_161453.jpg

My little lemon tree. I could have done with some lemons from it this week, as I've been sick as a dog.

$20160530_161613.jpg

Put in green beans and wax beans (bush variety), eggplant, oregano, sweet basil, and pineapple sage. Still waiting on our sweet potato slips to arrive; hopefully this week.

I'll post a picture once everything starts to come up.

I need some suggestions. I have a 10' x 4' section open since the taters are out. Keep in mind my BIL and FIL also have gardens so the normal suggestions are out the window.

Full west sun, irrigated, 100+ texas heat approaching.

Fire at will....

I need some suggestions. I have a 10' x 4' section open since the taters are out. Keep in mind my BIL and FIL also have gardens so the normal suggestions are out the window.

Full west sun, irrigated, 100+ texas heat approaching.

Fire at will....

Melons, or are they part of the Texas normal? They do like heat and water.

dave

Melons, or are they part of the Texas normal? They do like heat and water.

dave

They are but the BIL has cantalope and watermelon planted already. We grow community gardens so everyone doesnt plant the same thing. What about cow peas or blacyeyes. Would they grow well in this black dirt?? I know they do well in sandy soils.

Top Bottom