What's new

The Sprout-2016

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I was thinking of a Hab' Mint Jelly.

It's a shame about the tomatoes but you got some to eat, so no all was lost. Maybe start growing some earlier next year.

I did and they were really good. I have a few left on the vine too. I agree, I need to start earlier next year. 8 to 10 plants should work. I need to read up on Fall tomatoes for the Texas climate.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I did and they were really good. I have a few left on the vine too. I agree, I need to start earlier next year. 8 to 10 plants should work. I need to read up on Fall tomatoes for the Texas climate.

Just thinking out loud here.........I don't know a lot about your seasons but are picking that your winters are mild. So maybe start some late winter/spring. As long as the frosts have stopped you should be ok to plant outside.
Then start a second batch after the excessive summer heat eases off in Autumn / Fall.

Basil, I have only had luck growing inside.
Mint is like a weed, with a bit of luck.......and water it may last. I would stick it in the shade if you have any.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just thinking out loud here.........I don't know a lot about your seasons but are picking that your winters are mild. So maybe start some late winter/spring. As long as the frosts have stopped you should be ok to plant outside.
Then start a second batch after the excessive summer heat eases off in Autumn / Fall.

Basil, I have only had luck growing inside.
Mint is like a weed, with a bit of luck.......and water it may last. I would stick it in the shade if you have any.

I went over to a small nursery this morning while it was cool (101f/38c ). They guys there were really good and gave me lot's of info. It seems my pots are getting to hot and frying the roots. From what they told me tomato's like it hot and sunny just not hot roots. They recommended wrapping the pot in burplap and soaking with water or using some kind of cardboard with a hole cut out and fitted over or around the top of the pot shielding it from direct sunlight. They told me some of their black plastic pots melted yesterday. :bored: I gave it a go on two tomato plants and my basil. They said water and every other day or even daily.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I went over to a small nursery this morning while it was cool (101f/38c ). They guys there were really good and gave me lot's of info. It seems my pots are getting to hot and frying the roots. From what they told me tomato's like it hot and sunny just not hot roots. They recommended wrapping the pot in burplap and soaking with water or using some kind of cardboard with a hole cut out and fitted over or around the top of the pot shielding it from direct sunlight. They told me some of their black plastic pots melted yesterday. :bored: I gave it a go on two tomato plants and my basil. They said water and every other day or even daily.

Ah that's more like it, you can't beat local knowledge.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ah, maybe that's why mine are still putting out pretty good. SWMBO has been watering them with the water hose, canvas type "bucket" pots and all.

That...and it's only gotten to 96 here so far. Supposed to hit 101 about next Tuesday or so though.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ah, maybe that's why mine are still putting out pretty good. SWMBO has been watering them with the water hose, canvas type "bucket" pots and all.

That...and it's only gotten to 96 here so far. Supposed to hit 101 about next Tuesday or so though.

This will be day two on keeping the pots shaded. Two I have wrapped in old bed sheets and misted with water. The other two are covered with cardboard. Time will tell.

The nursery I went to the other day said in two to three weeks they will be getting in their fall tomato plants. I'll have to go check them out.

...New hobbies are killin' me.:001_smile

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Hopefully that will help your plants recover.

When you go back to the nursery again ask them what they think of these pots. I think SWMBO just read about them online and didn't talk to anyone about them. The tag on them says they also "Manage plant temperatures-keeping plants cooler in summer and warmer in winter."

http://www.ecogrow.com/dirt-pot-10-gallon-p-447.html

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hopefully that will help your plants recover.

When you go back to the nursery again ask them what they think of these pots. I think SWMBO just read about them online and didn't talk to anyone about them. The tag on them says they also "Manage plant temperatures-keeping plants cooler in summer and warmer in winter."

http://www.ecogrow.com/dirt-pot-10-gallon-p-447.html

I will. Don't know why they don't carry some thing like that or even white pots. I mean it's Texas for crying out loud.

This will be day two on keeping the pots shaded. Two I have wrapped in old bed sheets and misted with water. The other two are covered with cardboard. Time will tell.

The nursery I went to the other day said in two to three weeks they will be getting in their fall tomato plants. I'll have to go check them out.

...New hobbies are killin' me.:001_smile

And just when you think you've got things figured out Mother Nature throws another curve ball... so many variables, so little control, every year is different. What did great great or worked great this year may not apply for next year.

Good luck going forward Aaron, you'll get there!

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
And just when you think you've got things figured out Mother Nature throws another curve ball... so many variables, so little control, every year is different. What did great great or worked great this year may not apply for next year.

Good luck going forward Aaron, you'll get there!

dave

Thanks. So far everything is staying cool. Without the shade I can't hold my hand to them. I think I need to switch to raised beds. Maybe I'll do that later this fall or early spring.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A few of the trash can 'taters. They didn't produce as much as I'm used to in regular ground, but at least we got "something" that didn't drown and rot in the ground.

$IMG_0006.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Mid winter and I just over wintered my Habanero plants. Cut them back to hard and feed them some slow release fertilizer.

$DSC_0009.jpg

I thinking if I should take the branches off at the bottom. What do you guys think.
6 weeks to spring. I hope these will live again for a second year.

$DSC_0010.jpg

Pea trellis, 12' wide x 8' high. Mostly Sugar Snap Peas but seems there was some snow pea seed in the package as well. Peas are ~6' high.

Picked just over 2lbs. today which pretty much cleaned it off. They're done flowering so they'll get ripped out and will replant the space with pole beans for fresh eating and drying to use in winter soups. There is a similar trellis behind me already growing beans and they've already grown a few feet beyond the trellis top, flopped over and no sign of slowing down.

There's a small, almost red tomato hiding out there as well, bacon in the fridge, soon, very soon summer will officially be here...

dave

My tomatoes are going nutz!!! I have 16 Cherry Tomatoe plants. Split between yeller and red. In the last 3 weeks I have harvested just under 5 1-Gallon freezer bags full!!! We have eaten more than I care to share and given hundreds away. Plan is to keep all them frozen and make a big mess of Tomatoe Sauce at the end of the growing season. I was going to make salsa but the BIL and SIL made 5 gallons two weeks ago! I have 4 zucchini plants that are going nutz as well!! I get 2-3 usable pieces each day.

I have to move my garden away from my shop once the tomatoes have finally given up so I never replanted the area where the potatoes were.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My basil recovered nicely after I started shading the pots. As for the tomatoes....there not dead yet. I can see all the little buds of tomatoes but they won't grow. It's like they are stuck in 1st gear. Watered, pots shaded, fed and plenty of sun. I guess it's just too hot.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My tomatoes are going nutz!!! I have 16 Cherry Tomatoe plants. Split between yeller and red. In the last 3 weeks I have harvested just under 5 1-Gallon freezer bags full!!! We have eaten more than I care to share and given hundreds away. Plan is to keep all them frozen and make a big mess of Tomatoe Sauce at the end of the growing season. I was going to make salsa but the BIL and SIL made 5 gallons two weeks ago! I have 4 zucchini plants that are going nutz as well!! I get 2-3 usable pieces each day.

I have to move my garden away from my shop once the tomatoes have finally given up so I never replanted the area where the potatoes were.

I have one word...tomato juice!!!

Mom used to make the greatest stuff.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My basil recovered nicely after I started shading the pots. As for the tomatoes....there not dead yet. I can see all the little buds of tomatoes but they won't grow. It's like they are stuck in 1st gear. Watered, pots shaded, fed and plenty of sun. I guess it's just too hot.

I have no clue.

Top Bottom