What's new

What is witch hazel for?

I see a lot of people on the boards talking about witch hazel. I have not used it before and am not clear what specifically it is supposed to do for the face. Can someone please enlighten me? Is it used as an aftershave, or just in conjuction with another actual aftershave?

It is used as an astringent causing contraction of the skin and stopping blood from minor cuts (similar to alum, alcohol or a styptic pencil)

Witch hazel contains chemicals called tannins. When applied directly to the skin, witch hazel might help reduce swelling, help repair broken skin, and fight bacteria.

This, while not as bad as AS, can be sort of another rabbit hole. I currently own four separate witch hazel scents/configurations. Some have more alcohol than others. Currently I am all about the Thayer's Medicated Superhazel. It feels great on my skin and really helps with razor burn when I decide make too many passes with the razor. Then I keep a bottle of Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel in the refrigerator. I reach for this when I have a clean, fresh, or soapy scented shaving cream or soap. It is also great on sunburns. I also have a peach scented witch hazel and then a witch hazel that has a higher alcohol content in it for the purpose of being an AS. I have also tried a lemon scented witch hazel and a lavender scented witch hazel. If you try one, make sure it has aloe in it or some other moisturizer for the skin. I use the witch hazel right after I rinse my face from a shave and then wait until it dries before I apply my AS du jour.

It's pretty good stuff. I use it post shave in place of either AS or alum. A nice, simple product if you don't want to fuss with AS. I find it to be gentler than alum but it doesn't give you feedback on your shave the way an alum block does. It does aborb into the skin faster and more easily than alum so if you like to finish your shave routine with a facial moisturizer and don't like the way alum blocks absorption, witch hazel may be just the thing for you.

I used it to tone the skin after shaving and before using an ASB / splash.

Splash on WH, clean up sink area, finish getting ready for work, then a balm / splash as I head out the door.

I have been using WH since I was 14 years old. The barber shop I went to always used WH and powder after the haircut. I just started to use WH when I started shaving. I didn't think about it - it was something that my father and grandfather did. Occasionally, I would try something different but always went back to WH.

I used it to tone the skin after shaving and before using an ASB / splash.

Splash on WH, clean up sink area, finish getting ready for work, then a balm / splash as I head out the door.

+1 that's my routine also! What everyone said above regarding its therapeutic value, but I also like the way my skin feels after I use it. Sometimes I use it just to clean the oily spots on my face. It's fairly cheap so have at it.

Last edited:
I use WH when I want a clean, simple, fuss-free shave ... usually following a shave using Arko stick.

But it has many other uses. Sometimes I splash it all over my face, back of neck, over the ears, and my arms up to the elbows when I'm not even shaving, Its great for just a general wash-up, especially when my skin is getting dried out in the middle of winter.

And I put some in the liquid inhalant cup in my humidifier that I keep running in my bedroom ... its great for clearing up congestion and sore throat when you've got one of those winter colds that just doesn't seem to go away, no matter what OTC drugs you take. WH won't cure it, but it does make it easier to live with the symptoms.

I go through about a quart of generic WH every month during the winter ... I buy 5 or 6 bottles at a time so I never run dry.

my dad showed me witch hazel when i first started shaving at 14. i use thayers medicated superhazel . cause i like the menthol effect. after shaving i rinse my face with cold water use the wh the pepermint oil in it scent wears off pretty fast so after i clean up comb my hair whatever i will use a cologne or another aftershave or balm for scent.

I started adding WH into my shaving routine this week, right after the cold rinse but before aftershave. I haven't had to use my styptic pencil since then, very cool :thumbup: I ended up going with Thayers unscented.

Top Bottom