What's new

Just thought I would post some people pics of the Ruger I bought last month

Ruger 44 magnum with a 5.5 inch barrel. In the background you will see a box of buffalo bore 340 grain +P+.

I haven't shot the buffalo bore ammo yet but that will come soon. I am replacing the factory grip with a Hogue monogrip when I get some extra time.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice!!!!

Very wise choice on getting the covered backstrap grips.

Have you picked up some .44 Special rounds to practice with before you touch off the Buffalo Bore fire breathing Dragons?

Those 340 grain Buffalo Bore hand cannon rounds scare me. :001_smile

You might also want to try a box of 240 grain ones and see how you like them.

Range report...range report...range report. :thumbup:

Since I am new to this type of gun and power, I bought:

1 - cowboy loads ( which I am currently shooting)
2 -180 grain
3 - 240 grain

I am working my way up to get acclimated.

The 340 grain is a self defense ammo only. I will fire off a couple once I am comfortable.

Take care,
Jason

Congrats on the new gun - looks awesome! I'm in the market for a new bear/backup gun, and it will probably end up being a RedHawk (probably the Super Redhawk in 454). Great guns.

Very nice! It's on my list as a companion piece to my Winchester 94 44mag.

Make sure to bring a lot of Advil with you after shooting that Buffalo Bore stuff.

Those 340s are totally unnessary for self defense. They are hard to control and tough to make a follow-up shot with. I would rather have some mild 240 magnums or .44 Special rounds for that. Possibly even 180-210 grain loads

I handload cast 240 gr LSWC at 1100 fps. They will shoot thru a deer from chest to tail. 900-1100 fps with a 240 is plenty for man stopping.

Last edited:
Those 340s are totally unnessary for self defense. They are hard to control and tough to make a follow-up shot with. I would rather have some mild 240 magnums or .44 Special rounds for that. Possibly even 180-210 grain loads

I handload cast 240 gr LSWC at 1100 fps. They will shoot thru a deer from chest to tail. 900-1100 fps with a 240 is plenty for man stopping.

I should clarify, the 340 grain is for black bear defense. I was charged by one a few months after noticing several black bears had no of fear of human presence on several occasions.

It happened so quickly. I am concerned with the first shot. Follow up shots are a luxury.

For self defense against people, I have a Walther PPQ M2 9mm loaded with 124 grain Remington Golden Saber HPs.

I also have a double barrel 12 gauge as well.

I do like the idea of reloading thought but I don't see that happening until I begin to enjoy my new 44.

.44 Magnums are fun. If i didn't reload, I wouldnt own one due to the cost of ammo. I have a 4" Anaconda and 6" Anaconda. I shoot my annual work qualification course with the 4" so I can carry it off-duty. I rarely do, though.

Last edited:
I must say, I feel good about having a 9mm for home defense due to magazine capacity. I have found; however, that I am in love with the wheel gun. I watched "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" this morning and I just got so excited. I have seen the movie a dozen times but never felt the nostalgia of a revolver.

When I posted a .44 research post, a few mentioned Taurus. I didn't think much of the brand but I owe you folks an apology. My local gun shop just got several in (including the raging bull) and they are quality guns. I don't regret my choice but I wish I would have compared.

As for the Anaconda, I have yet to see one in a shop or show.

S&W lovers, I love the 629 .44. Smooth and stylish. I just wanted a backwoods gun where I can shoot the hottest loads and be a good tool to shoot reloads when I begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anacondas have gotten too high to buy. I have a sizeable collection of Colts, but rarely buy them anymore due to the pricing...if I were in the market today, I would buy a 629 Classic.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Ruger is a Beaut!

Anacondas have gotten too high to buy. I have a sizeable collection of Colts, but rarely buy them anymore due to the pricing...if I were in the market today, I would buy a 629 Classic.

The Anaconda and King Cobra are. Beautiful guns, I was checking out their prices on Gunbroker, *cough!*

Yeah, fortunately I bought a few King Cobras before the prices went crazy. My first new hand was a King Cobra. I have put over 30k magnums thru it. It is still tight as new.

$image.jpg

I like Ruger firearms; my GP 100 ranks up there as one of the best pistols I've ever owned.
Smith & Wesson makes a decent pistol as well. My 629 handles 230 grain Hornady rounds quite well, but they can raise hell with your hand after a box of 50.

I have one of the shorter barrel Ruger Blackhawk(maybe super) and tried some heavier bullets in it. They were reloads, 300 gr jacketed and I put a heavy crimp on them. The crimp did not matter, after about 3 shots the recoil inertia was pulling the bullets out of the case and locked up the cylinder.

Hopefully if you are in the bear situation again and need the gun you will need only one or two shots. I would test a full cylinder with those loads to see how well they function from shot one to the last in the cylinder.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 637376

I like Ruger firearms; my GP 100 ranks up there as one of the best pistols I've ever owned.
Smith & Wesson makes a decent pistol as well. My 629 handles 230 grain Hornady rounds quite well, but they can raise hell with your hand after a box of 50.

You sure have great taste, when you put stocks on your guns. That S&W grip and the one on your Sig are awesome!

Top Bottom